Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Car Purchase Advice Needed...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chatsworth, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Chatsworth

Chatsworth

Hi, I need some car advice here. This is the abbreviated version.

Bought an old shell of a car last year on Craigslist for less than $1000. The trim was in excellent shape and this '48 showed no cancer anywhere -- remarkable shape. Restoration had started on it and it was all ready for paint when they halted the build for some reason 15 years ago. Well, the car was two hours away and we came to an agreement that he would trailer it down the next time he came down to pick up a car since he does business down here. I also did not have the room here at home at the time. It just wasn't cost effective for him to simply bring a car down as he wanted to take something back also with the other person he does business with. He said there was no hurry as to its delivery so I've been sitting back waiting. He said I could keep it there until then.
    Well, last night -- to my horror -- I saw the car is listed again on Craigslist. I have the title and I'm heading right now to Triple A (The DMV's are closed on Saturdays here in California) to make sure it IS my car, or at least registered in my name.
    I emailed the seller (different number a few blocks away from where it had been stored) last night and have yet to receive a response. There is a number listed also.
    Yes, it was stupid and naive of me to go on a "gentleman's agreement", but what should my next move be?
    Thank you in advance for any help or advice.

2. You are doing your next move................. your heading there now.
    Good luck.

shawnsauto1 likes this.
  3. Possession is 9/10 of the law...

4. rwilly

rwilly
    from seattle

If you have the title, then the car is not worth much to anyone else.
    I would never buy a vehicle that has no title, unless I plan to just use the body parts.

You are doing the correct thing going to AAA, you need to be able to prove your ownership, I hope you got a bill of sale also.
    I'd go get the vehicle myself.

(I didn't know that AAA offered such a service)

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

How longs it been, since you contacted the guy? Maybe, I doubt it, but maybe if it's been so long, he forgot. If I paid a $1,000 for something, it would come home with me, right then and there, but that's hindsight. I hope you're taking a trailer this time.

6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I have it and don't remember seeing that in my agreement. Maybe things are different in California.:confused:

7. if he a tow truck driver with a yard, make sure there was no mention of storage fees, in CA a month of storage is upwards of 1500.00 at a tow yard.
    That is how the law would keep people cars a while back when they seems to be in cahoots with tow yards (not that they are not now).

8. Chatsworth

Chatsworth

Okay, so I called the number AND also emailed the person on the Craigslist ad and no response so far. The car remains on CL. If I am able to determine where the car is today, can't I just call a cop with a tow truck, show him the title, point to the car, tell him that is mine, and they are trying to resell it? Will that work, or are they likely to tell me that this is something to be handled in a small claims court?

By the way, thank you all so much for the tips and concern.

9. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Could be CL fraud from another party., not your seller From a different email address, inquire innocently about the new ad and see what you get in response.

10. belair

belair

I think this^^^^^. But you are the owner, and I would threaten anyone in my way with theft or receiving stolen goods.

11. I believe that they would consider it civil and not do anything on the spot. Sincerely wish you luck on this.

12. BJR

BJR

Go get the car if you can find it. Bring the title and 2 or 3 of your biggest meanest looking friends with.

13. Chatsworth

Chatsworth

Thank you all for your interest, responses, and advice. The matter has been resolved peacefully without any issues and problems.
    The original seller lost my address, and apparently a death in the family compounded things with holdings being divvied up between relatives in the interim. Among those things being liquidated was a property that they own, and which my car was on, but which apparently was handled by someone other than the person that sold it to me. That unknowing relative saw a car that had been sitting there for years and decided to relist it on craigslist assuming it belonged to the decease is the way I understood it. He or she did not tell anyone and just listed it. The original seller could not contact me because he had lost my address.

Well, it seems like it was just a lack of communication and/or miscommunication (We're talking relatives splitting things up after a death if you have ever been through it), but I got the car yesterday evening and it is on its way home. The only glitch was the seller forgot to leave the gate open so we had to break it with a pair of bolt cutters (Yes, I went to nearby Home Depot and replaced it with a similar lock).

The shell is in excellent shape for a car that is 66 years old. No bondo. All solid metal. Don't know where I am going with it as far as going resto, or restoring it to it's factory glory, or a little of both, but I definitely want a driver, and I will definitely be peppering this site for advice and suggestions.

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR THE HELP AGAIN!

Okay, first car question: Okay we know about preferences for Mustang II steering racks, Ford 9" rear ends, and so forth, but what is (if there is one) a good modern (high) two door fold over front seat for these old cars. Is there a go-to one? AA1.jpg AA2.jpg AA3.jpg AA4.jpg It has to recline also. :)

norms30a likes this.
  14. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

I don't know of any modern bench seat that both folds forward and reclines. Some minivan and small truck seats fold forward but mostly don't recline. Poke around a junkyard perhaps? Look in small SUVs, minivans, etc.

15. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If you have, or can get, the original seats by all means use them. Even if they are shot it is better to upholster them. If you can't do that at least keep them.

If the seats are long gone the next step is to make or find new ones. Start by measuring the width of the front seat area and especially the rear seat area. Then go to the Pic A Part and start measuring to find a vehicle with the same width rear seat. The front seat not so critical.

Some kind of luxury SUV may turn out to have the most suitable seats. They are high bodies and so is the old Packard. Or maybe an old Cadillac or Lincoln. Who knows what you will find.