Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical help find reasonable shipping

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by johnold1938, Jun 24, 2016.

1. johnold1938

johnold1938
    from indiana

please someone tell me of a transporter that is priced reasonable to ship a set of 1933 henry steel fenders from indiana to florida.they only weigh 51lb's. humbly john!

2. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Greyhound been good to me on this kind of issue both on the shipping and receiving end. Worth a check if they are reasonably close.

3. Forget the big grey bus...do a search here for horror stories. Always had good luck with Fastenal. They will ship things from one store location to another on their trucks for a very reasonable fee. Only requirement is that it needs to be boxed on a pallet, or they won't insure it. Shipped a roadster pickup body from Seattle to Wisconsin for $160. Go to their website, and click on "third party logistics" tab.

4. Hombre

Hombre

I would agree completely with 37hotrod with Fastenal. I had a Chrysler Hemi shipped from Texas to Alabama along with a separate set of heads and a bare block. Seller loaded everything onto a pallet and shipped it by Fastenal, cost was a flat $200.00 hard to beat that price as this stuff was heavy.

5. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I have had nothing but excellent results with Greyhound Bus. Up and down the east coast, or across the country.

6. mike bowling

mike bowling

Yowza. X3

7. Greyhound is a crap shoot,I had nothing but excellent service until I shipped a couple of very nice Deuce fenders to Virginia,I don't know what they did but the leading edge of both front fenders looked like they had been hit with a sledge hammer.

Fortunately I had insured them and had clear photographic proof of how nice they were.HRP

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  8. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Ok guess that dog doesn't hunt anymore.

9. Try Fed-X. They'll want them on a pallet and dropped to a commercial address. I got a Muncie shipped from CA to NY for $105 a couple of years back.

10. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

It's not the weight of the fenders, but the fragile nature of them being easy to get wadded up. Whatever shipper you use, be sure to crate them.
    Never had a single issue with shipment of sheet metal (quarters, doors, roof, cowl) via Greyhound.

Why not look for a HAMB relay or car transporter? Bound to me someone heading to Florida from the Midwest.

11. my63squire

my63squire
    from Hazel, KY

Another option is yesterdaystractors.com, under "Hauling Schedule" tab. Might find some already going your way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530A using H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. Fenders can be destroyed if hauled on an open trailer & strapped down to prevent being blown off.

Commercial drop shipping is risky - expensive - not the way to go.

Ideally - someone from the HAMB is headed that way with an enclosed trailer
    that has room or a pick up truck bed with a shell that has space.

Post up in the " Wanted " section of the Classifieds.

Jim

13. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

I wouldn't recommend UPS. I returned some brakes to JEGS from Portland Ore. area to Ohio.
    Box was 16"x16" by 12" high and weighed in at 51 lbs. Cost was $82.00 and change.They sold me the wrong kit and all I needed was one caliper and emergency brake cable to fix the problem. They would not replace just those two parts. It would have been cheaper to just buy the new caliper and cable than return and get the kit I needed. Got a credit but kit I needed was $70.00 more.

14. haileyp1014

haileyp1014
    from so cal

15. cometman98006

cometman98006

I shipped a set of rear fenders, grill and some misc. parts by Greyhound at the buyers request Had a box made that he paid for took it to them in Seattle and it was at his place in California in 2 days.