Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Pomona swap meet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Groucho, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Not yet rated

Not yet rated

Internet commerce has revolutionized marketing of this hobby. Pre-Internet times, Pomona and big 3 swap meets in Southern California were stone-age era markets for old car stuff. Much easier and effective nowadays to go online for buying and selling. Haven't been to Pomona for more than 25 years and just went to the San Diego big 3 after a 12 year hiatus a few months ago. Will never return to that one either; too inconvenient and stressful on these old bones. Just my considered opinion.

2. I go to the LARS with friends from Las Vegas every year, once in a while find something I need / want - But have found that a couple local swaps in Los Lunas, NM have still got lots of early Ford stuff, hot rod parts are plentiful and prices seem pretty reasonable. Yeah, it's kinda out in the sticks, but that's exactly the reason it's still good. And if you want to sell, spaces are $20 for a 12' x 40' space. Next one is May 1st.

3. Same here. Went to Big 3 recently after about a decade off. I used to bring home a lot of cool stuff. Nothing this time....my last time too.

4. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hope the tone of my 1st reply was taken in the proper context. Several names I respect here, but that doesn't lessen the resolve I feel on this issue. In summary, if you can't beat em, join em. I did that last weekend and came away satisfied that I removed many things from my shelves and rafters that I hadn't done anything with in a long time. I have even more, some of which I put here for the members to pick from. So far so good, and while I'm not at the same level of pricing I'm close enough to be able to get what I need in a market that follows inflation. How much is a gallon of gas kids? What is the cost of a swap space these days? The bigger the event the higher the price, yes? Hey I get it, we all want a deal and hit the swaps because that's where they've always been. In the overall, compared to new imported shit parts or well preserved "good stuff", are things really that bad? Maybe, maybe not. But at the same time did we ever imagine we'd see prices where they are on cars these days? I think most cars of merit caught up to the crazy levels of pre-2008, and in fact some passed it full throttle bouncing off the rev limiter. 6 weeks ago I watched a production bodied Packard roadster sell for $1,100,000. I watched other classics in #3 condition get close to $200K and those few needed as much as $50K in restoration/repair. Porsche? Lets not go there because I don't get it. A car they made 5000 examples of brings almost $500K. Seriously? So again I say, can't beat em, JOIN EM. There's not a lick of shame in getting what the market will bear regardless of what we'd like to see or fondly remember. I get the frustration too. I'd never think it would take so long to find select parts for a 39 Std but it sure has. I'm almost done looking for things if you can believe that. Hell, not sure I can...!

5. There was a time that the 69 Z-28 was my favorite car. Sorry it's not HAMB friendly but it makes my point. I started watching/owning them around 1975 when a nice one was $2000. They slowly went to $3000/$4500/$5K/$7K/$10.5/$12.5.....normal expected increments.................then some time in latter part of that FOUR DECADE span they soared to $90K!!! So, something extraordinary, other than normal inflation happened. And here we are today with HAMB friendly jalopy type hot rods that were once tossed together in a couple weekends with parts from mine and friend's garages commanding rediculous prices. As far as if you can't beat em, join em? Where does a young one get that kind of money to join em?

6. I sold there once, and never again. My fingers would fall off if I explained. Let's just say this...I had a pair of old American 5 spokes I was selling for $150 and this one jagoff rubbed his nuts on them for almost a 1/2 a fucking hour and finally left without them even tho I eventually went down below $100. I forget....$75 or $90.

7. Bottom line, yrs ago we saved big money by building our hot rods.....today it's cheaper to buy one for the most part and personalize it.

Jeff Norwell likes this.
  8. LA Roadster Show was Not at Pomona in 1975! They were at the Great Western Exhibition Center from 1968-79. This was on Eastern Ave. in the City of Commerce.

See above - Also it couldn't have been the Pomona Swap Meet as the first one was held in August of 1975 - After Fathers Day :)

9. Groucho - You lament that it has become a business, but isn't that what you do as well? You are in the car business as well - you make money off buying and selling cars and parts right? So really the complaint is that guys don't want to sell chit cheap anymore so that other guys can make money on them. And if others are asking too much for cars or parts, well, they will take them home and try again, eventually either the market catches up, they lower the price, or they really don't want to sell it. This is the worlds oldest complaint - well other than Hooker's are charging too much. As a kid in the early 60's, I remember a buddies dad bitching that a neighbor actually had the balls to ask $700.00 for a restored Model A Tudor ~ " I used to buy them fer $50.00 "
    Just my observation

10. Yes, I buy and sell to fuel my hobby. I have to. My turning wrenches in the shop pays the bills.....with little left over to fuel this now very expensive hobby. My buy/sell is not set up like a business. I don't set up camp at a swap meet with multiple cars for sale like some do. I don't sell parts at the swap (did once and fucking HATED it!!). I buy parts when they're a good deal and put em on the shelf to be used later on a project. Decent cars for projects are near non existent now so I've been selling those parts out of my shop this past few months because I'm now confident I'll never use them. Some of those parts, like a pretty big stash of Pontiac 8 lugs and a stash of Hurst shifters were recently sold at a loss. I average about 2 cars per year this last 5 yrs or so and drive them for months before selling. I do NOT buy cars I don't like. I buy cars I like, have fun with them for a while, then sell. Far from business like thing. Also, I'm an impulse buyer most the time (not so much with today's prices) so when I sell to someone who can't make up his fucking mind or must consult his wife it drives me crazy. That said, I usually sell my shit at a good price to avoid those nut scratchers. My prices leave meat on the bone....to the point the buyer often makes more money than I did.

11. What I mean by "business" is non car enthusiasts seeing there's a buck to be made and pay too much for shit, lose money for a couple yrs and move on to other endeavors. Leaving a polluted pool behind for us enthusiasts to deal with. I see it all the time. It's quite a bit different than what I do!!

12. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

When I sell at Pomona, I am the only one with flathead parts and the only one's who stop to look are the old timers. And they only stop to talk about my parts and their good times. It's ok because I like to listen and learn.

Sent from my SM-G930T using H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  13. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Too true...too true...

14. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I go to long beach probably 3x a year. It's small but it's clean. I have only sold at Long Beach twice. It's cheaper than selling at Pomona $50 per space where Long Beach is $35 per space.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  15. gal6xie5

gal6xie5

Big 3 is a joke, you should see the "shabby chic" anitquers who go and grab all the stuff on Friday to put in their stores Saturday morning. Its pretty much become a camping trip for most people and the center section is the worse. Lets take 6 motorhomes and camp and only put out 10 items for those 6 motorhomes. Really people? There are guys with killer stuff who cannot get spots because of these space hogs. You see those same guys year after year trying to offload junk they couldn't the year before and they keep upping the prices of them.

I go because I have a business and get jobs from the swap meet. I have seen that Pomona has declined from last year at this time. Not to say that my fella didn't practically build his OT Chevy (71 Chevelle) from swap meet finds, but when he drives and walks around for 2 days and returns with only shop rags...you know its bad.

16. gal6xie5

gal6xie5

As for the cars...in April, we were looking for a wagon for my dad.

There was a 56 Pontiac, we had one and he likes them, with no rear wrap around glass and missing a ton of parts, needed at least 5K to finish...14K.
    A 59 Impala 4 door sedan, nice car, "fresh" paint that was supposed to be metallic and you could still smell the paint...asked the guy how much...he said "29, and it won't last long at that price!", I thought what a good price $2900.00 well add another 0 to that.

We went out that same day and bought him a nice 64 Biscayne wagon, driver status with crate motor and AC...$8,000 - did we overpay, maybe but the old guy is happy.

17. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yep, swap meets are a different world now - as stated, the internet and reality TV shows have distorted the car building mentality. it is not only the "reality" pickers, it is the Pro's that hit swaps on set up night before swap opens. I used to sell fairly regular at swap in Stockton, CA. still only $25 per space. but, with fewer buyers and not being someone that has N.O.S. '32 3 window bodies For Sale sometimes hard to make the entry fee. have sold stuff to buyers that hit everyone while unloading parts only to see my offered. even offering parts here, eBay & craigslist have really slowed. but, I will not give up because I need to sell to buy. sometimes the hunt is more exciting than the find. one plus with swaps is meeting, and watching, all kinds of characters that you can not truly experience online.