Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Under dash air conditioner

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bigstar, Jun 22, 2016.

1. Bigstar

Bigstar
    from Austin

I am thinking about putting AC in my 57 chevy truck. I was looking at maybe getting an under dash unit from Vintage Air. Does anyone have any experience with these? Should I stick with a full under hood unit or will the under dash unit be more than enough for Texas heat? Thanks

2. squirrel

squirrel

I don't know what you mean by "full under hood unit"...they all have the condenser and compressor under the hood, and the evaporator under the dash. The only difference is that the fancier ones mostly hide behind the dash (where your heater and glovebox used to be)

I put an old 1960s vintage under dash unit in mine...it works...

[​IMG]

kustomd, MO54Frank, WalkerMD and 3 others like this.
  3. Unless he is thinking of later (as in 70's, 80's) GM that had evaporator under the hood. I suppose some 90's Fords as well. Just a difference in packaging.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think that one is a reproduction of the Mark IV units that were popular in the 60's and early 70's. I had one in my 59 ElCamino and that thing would chill beer if you sat it in front of it.
    The week I got married in 1969 I robbed one out of a Rambler wagon and stuck it in my 69 Olds Cutlass S in a couple of days and a couple of trips to a body shop to have brackets rewelded after I cut them. A trip to a gas station that did AC work to have it evacuated and charged and I was in business.

5. elba

elba

I had an under dash unit in one of my street rods and it was great ! It wasn't pretty but it surely blew COLD air !

6. When I did my car, I had everything removed from behind the dash. So if you don't want to do that, get the under-dash type. I'm sure you will need to move something and drill holes in the firewall, but you can keep the glove box that otherwise might be "downsized" as mine is.

As far as keeping the truck cool goes. You have much less space to cool than a car, so you should be good even in Texas.

7. It'll be fine. You'll be cool.

8. Gman0046

Gman0046

I can't say anything bad about Vintage Air units. I've installed several and been very satisfied. VA has been manufacturing A/C units for over three decades. Customer service is great.

Gary

Frankie47 likes this.
  9. belair

belair

Squirrel-that A/C unit looks awesome. What is it? I'm going to run a hang-down unit too, but it sticks out farther. Wish it was less intrusive like yours.

Hnstray likes this.
  10. Anything Vintage Air is first quality and the under dash airs work fine. HRP

11. I have installed the Mustang units in a few cars, very clean, just two small holes in the "firewall".
    mustangac.jpg

41rodderz and JeffB2 like this.
  12. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I believe Vintage and Classic both make under dash units. One of them is a copy of the Mark IV unit that was popular in the 50-60's and the Mustang appearing one with the 4 circular vents. I believe both have end vents you can direct at your feet.

13. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

I put a new mark IV from Vintage Air in my Buick last year and it will freeze you out! I can't imagine running one in a truck.

14. TudorJeff

TudorJeff

The Vintage Air Mark IV units are awesome and look right at home in most any 50s or 60s vehicle. Still, there's lots of other things to keep in mind that are just as important as the unit choice. One is having decent heat shielding on the floors, firewall, doors, and roof. Also good door seals and window seals help. Basically anything that can help keep the heat out will help your unit cool you inside the cab. Another thing is having as big a condenser as your radiator will allow and plenty of good air flow across the condenser and the radiator. A good adjusted fan shroud also contributes to cold air. I know some folks that say their "unit" doesn't cool but they are riding around in 100 degree heat with bare floors, headers and exhaust right under their feet, worn out door seals letting in hot air and are running a tiny condenser with no shroud. Fixing those things alone will help any unit cool much better.

firstinsteele, Frankie47 and squirrel like this.
  15. Bigstar

Bigstar
    from Austin

Thanks for the help fellas. All appreciate. I think I will go with a VA unit. They also have a nice switch panel that looks old school

16. Joe H

Joe H

Has anyone ever used the remote condensers that mount under the vehicle? I have a lot of room under the bed of my truck which is stock hight. Our school buses at work all have side mount remote units that work good, figured the under bed might also work. It would sure save some head aches getting into the grill opening. I am leaning towards the Mark IV.

17. squirrel

squirrel

A friend has a 37 ford that the builder installed one of the under ones in the front fender. It works ok until it gets really hot out, then it can't keep up....

18. fms427

fms427

I have an old under dash unit in my 47 custom, and several in- dash units in 49 Ford and 51 Merc - IMHO the under dash unit puts out a lot more cold air. Talked to the Vintage Air guy at Columbus several years ago, and he confirmed under dash units perform better as they are much more efficient - no ducts, vents, heater core to disrupt airflow. Last car I built, a 66 Buick convert, I went with the Vintage Air Mark 4 unit and love it.

moval57wagon likes this.
  19. 49toad

49toad

I had a 34 Dodge panel in the late 80's with an under the dash unit. Mounted the condenser under the floor behind the front seat. used a Honda electric fan and shroud. worked great with no problems.

20. donno

donno

Las Vegas heat, a black car and a under dash unit. Works great. Seldom run it on the third speed ' cause it will freeze you out.

21. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I have a Vintage Air under dash heat/cool unit on floor behind front seats...Had to put a resistor in the fan ground wire to lower the fan speeds...Works very well cooling and heating..

Attached Files:

22. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have installed quite a number of systems from Vintage Air. I am in the process of installing one, finally, in my own daily driver (shoemakers kids, no shoes....).

I cannot recommend them enough.

seb fontana and Frankie47 like this.
  23. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Under dash units work great. The only advice I can give is consider up grading your fan/radiator to whatever the OEM used for A/C equipped vehicle.

24. I've got the Mark IV kit in my car and couldn't be happier with it. Straight forward install and blows cold cold. With my little laser thermo it blows 28 degrees on max settings.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1467431236.272066.jpg

Fordor Ron and dan31 like this.
  25. 4woody

4woody

What are you Mark IV users doing for heat? My current project- '59 Dodge pickup- has nothing right now.

26. squirrel

squirrel

my question is, can you adjust the temp knob warm enough so you don't get too cold? that's the problem I have with mine...

Frankie47 likes this.
  27. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

I like Old Air Products. There's not a huge difference between all of them, but I think the under dash unit looks better. Usually a little bit less money too!

'49 Ford Coupe likes this.
  28. Bigstar, I have a VA Mark IV unit that came with my model A project car that I won't be using - new in box. PM me if you need it, I'll cut you a good price.

29. 5window

5window

I appreciate the need for AC units-especially in the Southwest, but you cannot convince me that air conditioning is part of the HAMB idea of traditional hot rodding. :)

Jeff Norwell likes this.
  30. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Suffering in silence is traditional.