Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 55 - 59 Chevy truck lowering options

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by deuceV8, Apr 22, 2016.

1. deuceV8

deuceV8

does anyone have info or photos of lowered 55 - 59 lowered trucks. I can't decide how to lower my truck whether to use a dropped axle or just springs etc.. Also what to use for a steering box. Any info greatly appreciated.

2. sdrodder

sdrodder
    from Houston TX

I run an axle over spring up front on my 58. For the back I had a spring shop flatten my springs. IT lowered it about 6 inches. Im using the stock steering box. I run about 8 degree caster up front with a steering dampner(don't know if the dampner is really needed). I have no problems steering it. It has some bump steer but I have no problems keeping this thing on the road.

j-jock likes this.
  3. sdrodder,

Could you share some pic of your conversion- looking to do the same thing on my '59 panel truck!

Thanks, Bill

4. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

When thy flatten the rear springs, do they shorten them and bend new eyes in the end?

5. Barn Find,

There are two easy ways on the '55-59 rear; either flipping the axle (new perches are cheap at Tractor Supply), or flipping the rear perch- both bring the rear down nicely.

6. dubie

dubie

This is my 56 that has a 3" dropped axle up front with 3" lowered mono leafs. the rear has 6" dropped mono leafs dbag.jpg

Motorwrxs, 41rodderz and volvobrynk like this.
  7. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

^^^^^^^^^That is what I would do!

Sid is the man with axles and what not.
    http://www.droppedaxles.com

8. belair

belair

9. sdrodder

sdrodder
    from Houston TX

Totally forgot about this thread. Here is a link to my album with a few pictures of the front end in it

http://public.fotki.com/sdrodder/dropped-front-end/

10. Mengestwinspeedshop

Mengestwinspeedshop
    from Santa Rosa

We lowered this with the drop springs from speedway up front and swapped the rear axle to the top of the springs with a small frame notch. ( I think it needs the dropped axle too but the owner didn't want to spend the 400 bucks!!)
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1466742001.123996.jpg

11. Kruckyou

Kruckyou

Volvobrynk, I know this is an old thread but outta curiosity how low is the back of the front fenders to the ground on your truck? How low is the front bumper? I’m thinking on doing the 4” drop axle and 3” lowering springs.
    Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app