Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bill of sale to title in IN?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J Man, Jun 22, 2016.

1. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

What is the process in IN to get a title for a car you have a bill of sale for? I am sure there is someone who has done this before. Thanks

2. dakotajayne

dakotajayne
    from 3c1

The license branch will give you a form to be completed and endorsed by a member of the constabulary . My '26 modified was titled as an assembled vehicle. I presented receipts for all purchased parts and was assigned a VIN #. Quite simple and hassle free!

3. silent rick

silent rick

is it titled as a 1926 ford? @dakotajayne

4. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Titling in Indiana can be quite different for a bill of sale vehicle and an assembled vehicle and quite different from DMV office to DMV office. Some are staffed by helpful people and others by grief givers. Call the State office in Indy to see what they say before you take anything to a local office. Be sure to get the name of the person you talk to for reference later.

73RR and Larry T like this.

5. 73RR likes this.
  6. silent rick

silent rick

indiana is really messed up. i asked for rules in writing and was told there are none. it's basically up to each person's interpretation of what they feel is correct. what one person thinks at one branch is different than another person's view five miles away.
    if anybody can provide written rules to follow, i'd appreciate a copy.

7. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Go to the BMV, get the necessary paper work, have the police/sheriff come out and verify the title vin# matches the frame or body number, and apply for new title. Went through this recently and had no problems with a WV title and a KY bill of sale.

8. henry29

henry29

http://www.semasan.com/page.asp?content=tag_title_toolbox&g=SEMAGA

9. ilinrods41

ilinrods41

V8 Bob is correct. I have done several with no problems at all. You can even download the bill of sale form from the bmv website.

10. 73RR

73RR

No written rules? Someone is obviously pulling your chain. There is not a government entity anywhere that will pass up the opportunity to create a 1,000 page 'guide' for "how to remove bubble gum from a municipal sidewalk" let alone title requirements.... Your DMV will have info on line, use it or visit the state hq.
    https://secure.in.gov/bmv/2366.htm

11. weps

weps
    from auburn,IN

Not nearly as easy as it used to be even 3 years ago!
    I have stacks of papers from DMV, the Court, and still no title.
    "Maybe" 6 months and 500$ "Might" get you there,
    Price your project accordingly.
    (P.S. see "Youtube" for 'Vermont title)

P.S.S. 1/2 the people involved in my case, NOT the DMV are retards...

12. joetotleben

joetotleben

Yep V8 Bob is right. Where are you in Indiana? I have found that the small town BMV branches are really easy to deal with as opposed to the big city branches. They really try to help out.

13. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I was just checking this site out for the California Regs. It's a really good site if this is all true. I'm going to be testing it in a few short months. It lists the forms and form numbers that are needed and shows the step by step process from DMV to CHP.

Thanks for posting this.

14. silent rick

silent rick

i have a 27 T coupe. what body number? what frame number? what vin?

15. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

Thanks for the help everyone. I am from OH originally where it is title or nothing. I am looking for a project so I just wanted to see what my options might be if I found something I really like and it did not have a title.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  16. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

Do you need something with a set of numbers?