Register now to get rid of these ads!

History LOST DRAG STRIPS II

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jangleguy, Apr 24, 2016.

1. jangleguy

jangleguy

Thanks K9racer. I've heard about that track, but haven't researched it. Those dirt strips amaze me!

2. jangleguy

jangleguy

Thanks K9. I have a thing for dirt strips. Hope to run my Model A at the dirt strip in Colorado some day.

3. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I better call the dragstrip at Great bend and tell them they are lost and can't race this weekend. ;) Lots of neat old strips on there! Lippy

4. jangleguy

jangleguy

Thanks again, K9racer. I had not heard about the Lakewood track before. Should there ever be a third book, I'll cram in as many dirt strips as I can - they've always fascinated me...

5. k9racer

k9racer

Lakewood was a one mile circle track and when the drag race craze hit the local promoters jumped on the band wagon. This was at that time the only place avaiable. I know that Helena Alabama{close to Birmingham} was a dirt strip and was later was paved closed many years ago .I can name a few paved now closed tracks in Alabama New Hope / old Huntsville Airport/ Sunset drag strip in Toney / Green Valley in Gadsden just closed. guntersville held races on its air port. Cortland had a closed Air Force base that held races for many years. Jasper Alabama has a closed strip on high way 78. I will add some more as I can recall.

jangleguy likes this.
  6. Wagonmaster2

Wagonmaster2

Don't forget Newton County Drag Strip, also in Covington, Ga. aka: Atlanta Speed shop dragway. Not the same as Yellow River..... as long as we're talking about Georgia........

jangleguy and Down South Racer like this.
  7. jangleguy

jangleguy

Lippy: Let's file Great Bend under "Lost and Found"...

Ray C's son likes this.
  8. jangleguy

jangleguy

Okay, K9, that does it. Should there be another one of these books, I'll connect you with the author, whomever it may be!

9. jangleguy

jangleguy

Wagonmaster 2: I gave the Atlanta Speed Shop Dragway a shout-out in the Yellow River feature. My new neighbor (here in Oregon) ran a T altered with her husband at Newton County in the '60s. Small world.

10. rfraze

rfraze

11. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Guess I should have thought to put it here too, oops. Seems odd with all the tracks mentioned there's no mention of O.C.I.R. on there.

12. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Ooops again, just had to scroll down farther in the California column.

13. Dick Lobach

Dick Lobach
    from Emmaus Pa

We had a strip in Allentown Pa. in 55-56 at Convair Field. The Lehigh Valley Timing Assoc. put drags on there. NHRA was there in Aug. 55, check Nov. 55 for coverage. About a doz. of us still get together once a month for breakfest and we can give you all the info if you are interested.

14. jangleguy

jangleguy

OCIR was featured in the first Lost Drag Strips book.

15. jangleguy

jangleguy

Thanks Dick! Will definitely keep you guys in mind!

16. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

I bought this book through Amazon, and it was money well spent. I especially enjoyed reading about Minnesota Dragway. As a young, impressionable farm boy growing up in the western part of Minnesota, I talked my dad into taking the family to the KDWB (radio station) sponsored funny car race in '69. Fell in love with drag racing that day, and I'm still at it now. This is a great book for old-time drag racing enthusiasts.

jangleguy likes this.
  17. I Raced at National Speedway back in the 60-75 & it was
    a AHRA speedway which a Lot of Big Names came there
    I met Big Daddy Don there in 71 or 2 at a event
    I liked that Track even though the Track was 100 miles
    away from My Shop.
    Just my 3.5 cents
    or when the Cows
    come Home.!

jangleguy likes this.
  18. jangleguy

jangleguy

Thanks Model A John. Since there's no audience here, I rarely get any feedback. So yours means a lot to me. Thanks for getting the book. So glad it was able to transport you back to Minnesota Dragways for a while.

Model A John and Finn Jensen like this.
  19. Alright! I read it all the way through. I've got all your books and Scotty, this is the best yet! Well written, well researched and fun to read. I give it 5 stars. Oh, and thanks for the cool stickers stashed between the pages.
    Your brother.

20. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have to agree with these comments. This really is a very nice book.

21. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Good Book, not because my T is in it.

Attached Files: