Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 6 cylinder with 4barrel?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dtwbcs, Jun 21, 2016.

1. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

I want to use a Holley 4barrel with my GMC302 6cylinder. I plan on using a Clifford 4barrel intake with matching headers. Will the stock one barrel linkage work? My gut says "no". What did you do to make a linkage?
    Thanks 4 any advice

2. sdrodder

sdrodder
    from Houston TX

Google Clifford performance. They are the ones that sell the 4 barrel intakes for the chevy 235s and I think gmcs. I think you will find a few pictures of how some people have it set up.

3. belair

belair

I have an Edelbrock on my 250. Had to use a cable because the carb is turned 90 degrees.

4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last time I did one I made a bracket off one of the carb studs that held one those bell cranks that had many many holes. I mounted it verticle so when the new rod I made from the original engine bell crank which pushes up push up on the new bell crank where the second arm pulled back on the carb linkage. As I remember I used a Ford linkage carb because it it moved less for full throttle. It took many times of moving the arms of the bell crank to make it work. Yes, it was sensitive but it used the stock pedal and link to the engine bell crank. I relied a lot on the factory carb springs mounted on the throttle shafts with adding only one lightweight one on the carb linkage. Wish I had a photo but it was a long time ago. Good luck

gas pumper likes this.

5. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

I googled "Clifford performance" and was reading some older postings at stovebolt . I am leaning towards a cable but if I can figure a linkage setup like in the "tech section-4barrel" of the stovebolt, then I might have another option.
    Jimmy six I like your idea. I have the original linkage but am looking for a better setup. I am understanding that maybe a small 4barrel like the 390 would equal out to what the 302-6 might need ;only want to fight with a single carb-

6. Danny - is this going in the 60' Belaire ?

7. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

Going in my 58 GMC truck; taking out the 270&using it for parts on the 302...

8. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One other thing I actually used a large stock looking 4 barrel air cleaner that covered a lot of the the linkage up. Other than the bell crank I made everything else using some steel 1/8" strap, a drill press, and a vice. I tried to make the whole deal look like the factory would have done it. Even back then the yellow McMaster-Carr book was my friend and still is.

9. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Good luck nice to see someone doing a 302. I saw a six in a corvette drag car once with THREE 4 bbls. :) Lippy

10. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

Yeah, I thought about the 5 carb setup , but unless it is racing then those 5carbs are expensive eye candy.:cool:
    I want a nice street engine.....;)

11. gas pumper

gas pumper

I was running a single feed Holley 600 on a almost stock 302 last year. Vac Secondary. I thought it was a great carb for the motor and ran well from idle to high speed. I used the Clifford 4 bbl intake and did not turn the carb sideways. Normal carb location might make a bellcrank linkage easier to fabricate. I saw no reason to turn the carb sideways. And the plug readings show the same pattern that you would think, the leading cylinder of each pair is slightly richer/cooler than the follower.

Frank

12. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

Thanks Frank,
    How did you do the linkage?

13. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I didn't mean you should run multi carbs, just saying I saw one once.;)

14. gas pumper

gas pumper

This is in a race car so linkage is simple and strong.

Attached Files:

15. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

I did too and boy did it look AND sound sweeet

16. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

Yeah ,that's Marcias(?) Flying Seven. I was following the engine build- saw the video.
    I and looking for a good idea for the linkage setup.

17. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

What headsers are those?

18. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

OP is Clifford headers for a GMC

19. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Nicson aren't they?
    I was wondering if for racing a set of tube headers would flow better?
    Sorry to jump in.
    I am getting ready to put a 302 back into our LSR roadster and am working out intake and headers.

20. My offy 4 bbl on the Chevy 292 had the carb facing front to back like it would be normally on a V8. I would look into an offy myself, and see if they make an intake for the Jimmy.

If I had the motor in a late model Chevy truck it would have worked fine with the stock linkage, it was designed to go in a stock vehicle. I ended up using an older (not so old at the time) Moon cable setup on mine because I had it and my old truck was a 41. it was just easier.

21. osut362

osut362
    from East Texas
    1. Upholstery

I just went through this with a Clifford and 390 cfm holly on a warmed over 235. There is a good how-to on the Inliners site....Al

22. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

Clifford headers.

23. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

How do I find it?Am a member there but not much "posted"

24. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Clifford is great when you are driving a car or truck, but when you are putting one into a 28 Ford roadster built to Street Roadster SCTA Specs 'stock' headers don't fit, but stock intakes do, just have to pony up

25. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

And the Inliners are great people, but most of the 302 GMC guys are gone and vintage is now 250 chevys and 300 Fords. And to me it is time to throw away California Bills Book and start fresh.

gas pumper likes this.
  26. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

Yeah, the ones that did talk with me went to Bonneville at one time or another.

27. sdrodder

sdrodder
    from Houston TX

I thought of something for the linkage as I was scrounging around in the garage today. I know on the 235s(I think the 270-302s had the same linkage what it pushed up to operate the carb) i have a piece that changes the direction of the linkage. In this case you push the gas pedal, the pedal pushes on the lever on the block causing the rod to push up. The other piece sits on the intake and when moved up pushes or pulls a rod that goes to a carb that requires a push pull linkage. I know nothing about 4 barrels(sorry i run multiple singles on my 261 six and plan to on further builds including my gmcs) but if the 4 barrel needs to be operated by pulling it that lever change over would be a good option. It would be strong if you used the stock rod that goes from your gas pedal to the first lever on the block. I hope all of this made sense if not i will try and get some pictures of what im talking about.

28. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

Well I run 2 langdons on my 235.I just want to go a little simpler(1carb) this time around with my truck.