Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Grandpas el mirage roadster recreation p.r.c

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by paintslinger805, Mar 13, 2016.

1. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Waffle buts eh? Is there a story behind that of just a creative insult

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Those Pix are priceless Bruce, You Go Elmer!!!!! I'm glad that he saw the car, Tell him that you'll be having it ready for his drive soon!!!!!

3. saltracer219

saltracer219

That is sooooo bitchen!!!!!

4. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I drive a beautiful Deuce highboy roadster. Most people think it is a pristine survivor, but actually it is a Brookville. Being retired, I wasn't going to pay 20 k for a tweaked, rusted piece of shit. So I paid 10 k for a super body. I can't do what these young guns do today with survivors, and I wasn't going to be held hostage just so I can say that mine is a HENRY. And, by the way, fuck anyone who dislikes my ride. I am not in a contest, I don't compete at car shows, but I drive that car just like I would drive a "real" one. Cyclone Kevin and paintslinger805 are doing their thing and starting with very little. I know each of their cars is going to be so right, so era perfect, and get driven everywhere. I can't do what they are doing, but I applaud their effort and grit. Can't wait to meet both of them. Rant over !

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
  5. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, I'll be dog gone !

6. Thanks Gary. I feel that 75%of people that have old cars always has something stupid to say about anyone's car that isn't there's. And it really pisses me off when it's the guys that don't even work on their own cars. The guys that have more money, then I can do it myself car sense. When guys talk smack about the paint or motor or wheels or whatever, they forget that some of us can only afford what they see infront of them. So their big money blinds them to the real reason we all love old cars. Because they are cool as hell. The big guys with all their big bucks have lost their mind. I would rather drive a car like mine-looking like a big pile of shit to them all day long than there 300000 riddler award winning trailer queen. Hell my car was a trailer queen all weekend and it still has more soul than half-the high prices cars out there. Me and my brother was laughing at a guy just today that told his son of about 16-20 years old to never buy or start with a car as beat up as mine. We over heard them talking and I flat out told the kid don't listen to your dad he has no clue. I told him you follow your heart and if the car talks to you and you go home and that's all you can think about is that rad car you seen today then that's the one man. Beg borrow but don't steal. Make it yours than really make it yours and who cares if you pops don't like it. The only person that has to love it is you.

7. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Very well stated Bruce,
    In having the cars that I have, build and continue to build, I look at their potential. I don't have the greatest talent, nor the best skill. I do what I can just to make the ones that I have "kinda" acceptable. I recall a guy that thought that I owned a buddy's 29 roadster at a high school car show just over the Fwy from his house. He commented on how the hood wasn't perfect on this 29 and the paint I think, This was 25 yrs ago…

My buddy who owned the car was standing an earshot away from this drone and heard his negative comments. "He said Don't talk sh*t about a car that you know nothing about!!!" The guy said "Whats it to you, It's just that kid who's over there, so he can't hear me". My buddy replied that "it was his Hot Rod, not a High Tech Street Rod that someone got paid to build". This guys face turned all red and the people that he was talking with were embarrassed to just even know him shaking their heads as they walked away from him.

I walked over the clown and asked "who built his car?" as I knew that he never laid a wrench on it as it was a Boyd build. He pulled out his wallet and showed me his credit cards, "These are my tools"
    I said "Oh, your a "Pocket Rodder" meaning that it was his only way that he knew how to participate in his "Street Rod" camaraderie. That dude was so freaking embarrassed, I don't remember seeing him ever again anywhere.

This is my buddy's backyard build. This guy is like a Father to me, So "Happy Fathers Day Oscar!"
    We built the car in question in this garage and this where much of our builds occur. IMG_0119.JPG
    Not a mega buck build, but a car in an ever changing Hot Rod World, and to me looks just fine for a back yard painted and fabbed Hot Rod.

Bruce That kid will remember those words for a very long time as they're probably resonating in his mind even now. Great Post!!!!!!! Happy Fathers Day HAMB Dads!!!!!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  8. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Wow how did my post get attached to this rant fest?

I like what paint slinger is doing with this. Building a car himself from swap meet finds and rusty parts.

9. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg I'm still tired so here's alittle recap of the swapmeet. Found some patch panels the front seat riser and back rest floor panel that hold up the back rest. Bitchin steering colume and drop. Chromed backing plates lincoln u joint. A seat, front spreader bar. Couple more 36 trans mounts and a few more Leeds. Seat 250 spreader bar 100 all tin panels 100 package deal. Steering coloume and drop 200, trans mounts 2 for 20. Chromed backing plates 80 bucks. Free tail lights. 30 bucks for a jar of apple moonshine and it's good to. Guy walking around selling it. Even bought a drivers 3 window real Henry door handle for 5 bucks and I gave it to 383 duece Dennis for his car. Ya ya I know they are worth lots of money but were brothers helpin brothers true hotrodders. I hope he can find the pass. One. Food and drinks 250 since we camped out. Gas 100 bucks. Small items around 100. So that's what 1185.$ parts sold around 1600 so trip and parts payed for and came home with money for the wifey all happy homes have happy wife's:rolleyes::D Oh and 60 for the u joint. It's nice and tight not all sloppy like iv seen em. So 1245 not to bad of a weekend. Got to meet some hamb members and they got to see and touch the car. And that's pretty cool for me to see guys that love what I'm trying to do and keep this hotrod history going. I just wish it didn't go by so quick. I would of loved to hang out more but I was running around like a 2 year old. Here there and everywhere. Can't wait to see y'all again and spend more time talking. Thanks guys.

10. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Awesome! Gotta love it when you can get parts you need and come home with cash too!

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. Pocket rodder lol I love that.

volvobrynk likes this.
  12. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Kid tested grandfather approved!!! They are out there going hypersonic. They took over it's now a jungle jim.

13. bengeltiger

bengeltiger

Been following your story here. You tell it well. I like what you're doing and appreciate you sharing it with the rest of us.

paintslinger805 and volvobrynk like this.
  14. image.jpg image.jpg
    Thanks man. I'm trying to keep people interested in the build/history but I think it's falling off. I'm gonna install the tail lights tonight and start working on the headlight mount. I want to get the lights all done so I can just focus on the motor. I was going to Try and build it to exactly what grandpa had but like he says he was always lookin for better parts and wishes he had more money back then to run in the c-class but he had to stay in the b-class to be able to run with the crowd. So my motor that I bought just happened to be bored already to 3-3/8 and it's a bitchin block so I'm going to build it with a 4" merc crank that I have. I'm using Ross pistons nos 8ba rods and maybe a potvin cam. Johnston original lifters. It's gonna be my first flatty and so it's going to be the baddest flatty with no cheap crap. I want everyone and especially my grandpa to say holy hell that thing sounds like a monster... I don't plan on driving this car across the country I just want to tear up my town and maybe a few of yours in California. And who's knows maybe I will drive it across the country someday. It's going to be a nice 286" flatty with open pipes oh boy I can all ready hear her purring. And just like the boys back then if I blow it up I will build another and another and another. Ifs it going to be a hotrod well then it better the baddest of the bad right. Plus I want young kids to look at it and hear it and never forget the first time they ever seen a 32 hotrod. That's what gets them inspired. My kids all want hotrods and they help me on mine everyday. And in the end that's what it's all about. Look at my grandpa he is so thrilled when he sees a hotrod. He says wow it brings back things I haven't thought about in over 60 years. I bet he is sitting at home now thinking about his old hotrod and mine. That's magical to me. In these pictures he was telling me he his had a pillow top. So I'm going to do the same of course. Need the tack strip.

15. How in the heck can interest fall off? This is GREAT STUFF! Whats wrong with those people?:D
    The pic's of your kids in the car are priceless. Good on ya.

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. malcolm1943

malcolm1943

Have to agree, this is one of the most interesting threads going, I check in every day for updates. Your thread and Cyclone Kevins about the Clem Waske roadster are looked forward to daily!

17. greaser

greaser

Looks like the Girls and Grampa are hooked on the roadster now! You are a very lucky man.

volvobrynk likes this.
  18. TigerFan

TigerFan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Athens, GA

I don't think interest is falling off at all; this is awesome.

volvobrynk likes this.
  19. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Interest isn't falling off here! I was having withdrawals last weekend because you were at the swap meet and not posting as many updates. Your so selfish!

volvobrynk and paintslinger805 like this.
  20. I have issues. Lol i need someone to talk too.... I am selfish I think I only took about 10 pictures at the swapmeet. I guess I'm just not really in to it.:rolleyes::p:D:D:D:D:D:D:D. Maybe I'm the one failing off. It's only a 32 roadster what's the big deal..... Lol or maybe it's just that I have been drinking from the holy grail:confused::confused::). I think the holy grail had vodka in it. I think I need to hold back on the up dates to make it more suspense full. Nah I'm just kidding I will keep the updates pouring out. I just like to joke around I'm a kidder. I didn't work in it tonight my brother that towed the roadster down to the swapmeet now has abs light coming on in his truck so now it's my fault. Might have to buy some new rotors and pads for him.:( I told him not to ride the brakes coming down the grade. That's what gears are for but hell you can lead a horse to water but you can't make her drink.

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Keep after it. There are more of us following than you think......:)

22. LWEL9226

LWEL9226
    from So. Oregon

Mee Two . . . . . :) :)

Lynn W

23. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

A whole lot more watching then you think, but if I have no questions/jokes advice, I stick to like-ing the posts I agree with.

But maybe I should taking an active roll in the like-ing in your thread!

I have the upmost respect for you handle on things, and I apprise it in public and on here.

Runnin shine likes this.
  24. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

paintslinger805, you hit the old proverbial nail on the head. My car was built 6 years ago by a good friend in the neighborhood. As slow as I am, I would not have the car completed if I had started in 2009, and I wanted to drive and enjoy a roadster before I became invalid. If I fail to wake in the morning, I will have had enough good times to rest in peace. It is so uplifting to follow along as you and Cyclone reincarnate hotrods from the past, especially with History that both of you have uncovered. I am really excited to be attending TROG West in Oct. in our Highboy. I believe Brian Bass of Bass Hotrods in Dallas will probably be there competing in his flathead Deuce he rebuilt. He found History on it. Also, John Joyo, owner of Austin Speed Shop, just might appear with his 21 stud Deuce. You young guns are living the dream, and I think that is GREAT. Gary

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  25. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Awesome '29, and in my favorite color ! ! Congrats for shutting down the Credit Card Kid. I hope I get to meet the '29 and its owner at TROG.

paintslinger805 likes this.
  26. Bruce, It was GREAT! meeting you and checking out your roadster...I loved it to the MAX! Thanks for the cool door handle. I will get it changed out today.
    We got home yesterday around 5:00. TOTAL of 3332 miles...Love that number very cool. One hot sum-a-bitch across the desert 128....We put in 14 hours on the road Monday. Wife turned out to be one hell of a road warrior.
    Got to go mow the dam yard now so I will get back to ya.

27. I can't wait till trog. We are going to have to get all of are cars together for a great black and white photo shoot. My wife is a pro/red carpet photographer so we got that handled. Since iv lived right here 5 mins. From pismo I know some great spots for pictures and food. I also live on a acre so I got lots of safe trailer Parkin for the trailers if some of y'all's cars need to be on trailers:D It's going to be a great time. Plus grandpa is going to be there.

28. ZZLEGEND

ZZLEGEND

Dam, Bruce. I was at Pomona Swap but some how didn't come across you. Had my eyes on the ground most of the time. Well maybe see you at Pismo. Wish I could complete projects as fast as you do. Keep it up. Mark.

paintslinger805 likes this.
  29. I'm glad to hear you and your wife made it home safe. I would love to hear what you and your wife were thinking and saying when you hit the 128 out in the desert in your badass 32 3 window and being chopped as low as it is I'm sure not to much air coming in those windows. Just think about those cowboys on horseback, back 100+years ago and having to be out there for months to get to California for the gold rush. I think it's awesome to do and feel that heat in a car like yours because people drive though that with their windows up and ac on and never feel the wind at 128. I need to see pictures I'm going crazy after talking with your wife and her telling me about that old gas station y'all stopped and took some pictures at. Iv never been out of California so I love to see pictures of this land. And with early hotrod makes the pictures even cooler. I will keep an eye out for a pass. Side door handle for you. Thanks Dennis.

volvobrynk and Cyclone Kevin like this.
  30. WELL SAID!