Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1954 Chevy spare wheel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by worthop, Jun 21, 2016.

1. worthop

worthop

I need to pick up a temporary spare wheel from a junk yard. I believe the bolt pattern is 5X4 3/4. Anybody know if any newer cars use this same pattern?

2. squirrel

squirrel

Chevys used it for a while, although only on a few models. Kind of hard to find the one you need, in my experience. Lots of hot rodders (and new car owners) don't bother with a spare, since we all have cell phones now. My wife has two later model cars that did not come with spare tires.

3. Some of the small spares in that pattern came in Monte Carlos, I'd guess 1988 would be a cut off date. Probably hard to find in good condition. Look at Chevy Caprices too, anything but the wagons had the smaller pattern.

4. worthop

worthop

image.jpg Just found this:

5. worthop

worthop

Crazy that a car wouldn't come with one from the factory..! I wouldn't want to take a chance

6. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

last month I bought 5 donut spares at a sale, 4-3/4" B.C. $5 total. gonna use the narrow rims up front on my 30 A coupe and the tires for a tire swing for my G-Kids.

7. squirrel

squirrel

I think Camaros and Firebirds used the bolt pattern for quite a while too. S-10 pickups and Astro vans also.

8. ems customer service

ems customer service

it is not just bolt patten but interference with disc brake stuff, i have one for my 37 ford, took a couple of tries to get the correct mini spare, sometimes a few washers can space it out for caliper clearance, also watch for ground clearance when using it, but at least your rolling after a flat

9. lowrd

lowrd

I used the spare from a disc brake firebird on a S10 diff, worked just fine. Could have carried two in the spare well if needed.