Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '46-'48 ford coupe door lengths.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J Man, Jun 20, 2016.

1. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

I am wanting to go look at a '47 Ford coupe and I can't tell if it is a long or short door coupe. Is there anyone that knows what the difference is? I can't tell for sure by looking at the pictures the seller has provided and he says he does not know what it is.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
  2. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

The long door has a flip out rear side window the short door has a fixed rear side window

3. verde742

verde742

does it have a back seat, most short coupe didn't.

Show us the picture,

On the title Does it say Sedan Coupe? that's official Ford name for long doors.

4. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

Google "1947 Ford coupe" and compare the images with the seller's pictures. The short door rear side window is almost the same size as the front window (excluding the vent window) while the long door rear side window is about half as long as the front window. You should be able to confirm easily which coupe the seller has.

LOU WELLS likes this.

5. This is a short door or 'Business Coupe' the door is the same length as the front door on a four door sedan.
    Notice the length of the quarter panel behind the door The short door has a longer quarter panel to the rear fender-The Club Coupe as it is referred has a shorter rear quarter panel(because the door is longer-same door as a tudor) The rear roofline is more laid down on a short door-the club coupe has a the rear roofline more upright to accomodate rear passenger head room.

Attached Files:

EVL401 likes this.
  6. donno

donno

7. donno

donno

Long door is 44 1/4" measured at the belt line. ( Merc is the same)

8. Ford referred to the long door coupes as 'coupe sedans' because they had a rear seat. The short door (or just 'coupe') models had no rear seat. The long door 'coupe sedan' was a new model in '41, offering true 4 passenger capability and replacing the optional folding 'opera seats' that were available in the '40 model coupes.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  9. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

How long is a 41-48 roadster door?

10. verde742

verde742

there are NO 41-48 roadsters; Roadsters do not have side windows,
    ,come to da party !!!

11. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

I just sent the guy a message asking him to measure the door for me. I will wait and see what he replies with.

12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Short door is 35-1/2". (+/-1/8"; seen them vary that much...)

13. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I dunno...How much is a 2 bedroom house?

LOU WELLS likes this.
  14. verde742

verde742

Better yet....... How long is a string?

Atwater Mike likes this.
  15. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

How long is a story?

16. verde742

verde742

good one !!!!

a long story or a short story ?:rolleyes:

17. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

He got back to me with 35", so that would make it a short door.

How are these for getting a rear seat in and rear passenger comfort?

18. Here are two examples of a rear seat in a business coupe
    one is the rear seats from a Venture or Montana mini van-the other is custom made to fit the space
    -There is no real comfort for an adult-not a lot of leg room or head room-fine for a kid
    -part of the problem is the front seat is behind the b-pillar making it difficult to access the rear seat-

Attached Files:

19. It's not so easy to get into the rear of my long door coupe.... LOL

20. I'd say you have about the same back seat room as a modern Mustang or Camaro

21. verde742

verde742

my Dad did it 65 years ago, for two little kids,
    bout room for yer cowboy hat and a cooler !!!

"quit kickin the back of my seat" STILL rings in my ears..

22. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

Thanks for the help everyone.

23. Jasper6120

Jasper6120
    from Australia

Apart from the length of the doors, is there much different structurally between the short door and long door variants? Roof line, floor pan, etc. The business coupe didn't come with seats, but would you be able to put some in, and would the space be more or less the same?

24. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

The whole roof is shorter. It's the same trunk lid, but the sail panel in between is longer. You can put a small back seat in a short door coupe but you are not going to have the same legroom as a long door coupe.

Jasper6120 likes this.
  25. Jasper6120

Jasper6120
    from Australia

Thanks for that info Mr Stud

26. sdroadster

sdroadster

Here's a "short door" Business coupe that I rescued out of the desert recently.. 402851467_10211400824213689_9076987303171337942_n.jpg

Jasper6120 likes this.
  27. Tetanus

Tetanus

I had a 46 short door. The front seat back flips up from the bottom and they have a wood package tray that comes up to back of back seat. Seat upholstery is attached to package tray. Access behind seat is by flipping it up to get behind it. The seat and package tray are hard to find. I posted on ford barn a while back some drawings of wood package tray if u need to make one. When I first got it it had no seat in it. I found a sedan coupe rear seat and I think it kinda fit but wasn’t quite right. I didn’t know at the time there was a sedan coupe (long door)and short door coupe.this was before the interwebs really got going. After years of searching I found a seat and shelf for it 15 minutes from my house! Also front seat is bench seat and sedan coupe is split back to get in back of sedan coupe.short door door is same as fordor I think. Pic of my short door

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2024
    Jasper6120 likes this.
  28. sdroadster

sdroadster

I am 77 years old, and am in remission for Lymphomic Cancer. I don't know why I bought mine. Reality has struck me, perhaps I should sell my short door...

Jasper6120 likes this.
  29. Jasper6120

Jasper6120
    from Australia

You have a back seat in yours now? I'd be really curious to see a photo if possible. I know the headroom is tighter, but what about the leg room?

30. Tetanus

Tetanus

No I ended up not putting the rear seat in. I think some of the 41 fords had jump seats in them. Not sure who you want to fit back there kids? Whatever you do don’t throw out that front seat if you don’t use it.

Jasper6120 likes this.