Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Packard 440 wire?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by dumprat, Jun 16, 2016.

1. saltracer219

saltracer219

Yup, period correct, but DON'T try to run any solid core wire on breakerless electronic ignitions or conversions. It will kill them.

2. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I will confirm the silver plating. We get all the engine fasteners on helicopter coated with silver. It is for corrosion prevention. The Packard connectors I have in the box are silver plated. The connectors in my old M37 were silver plated as well.

3. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I will need to keep my eye open for some old wire then. Even if just for the electrical noise and nostalgia.

Maybe I need a magneto too, then I could drown out the 1950's du wop crap they insist on playing at shows in this area.

falcongeorge and shawnsauto1 like this.
  4. Yep - was something you just had to run . . . with the Rajah screw on ends. I found an old roll of it last year for my 32 - as I was trying to replicate an early build and I used to run the same stuff on my blown flathead in the 70's (Harman Collins mag). It is good stuff, but noisy as hell -- lots of things (like electronic tachs) don't like the noise.

2015-11-07 23.24.56.jpg

2015-11-07 23.25.23 copy.jpg

2015-11-07 23.24.30 copy.jpg

kidcampbell71 and Hotrodmyk like this.
  5. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Hey Dumprat

Easy on the ' Doo Wopp ' as that was our sounds , to us that grew up in the 50's it is ' Priceless '

DND

Runnin shine likes this.
  6. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

7. burnin53

burnin53
    from cuba,n.y.

I've heard folks say that all my life.

I haven't had anything with points in 15 years,and everything I own runs Accel solid copper core wires.

Never misses a beat and haven't had anything fry.
    And they last virtually forever,unlike the graphite garbage.

8. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I'm gonna high Jack here with a little rant
    As a musician I truly believe that there's no such thing as bad music. There may be bad bands, bad albums, bad performers, bad cal aberrations, bad scenes, and certainly bad songs but mostly the problem is bad ears.
    When I work on my Pickup I listen to old time string band music and "bluegrass". When I work on my late 40s build I listen big swing bands/orchestras and some early hot jazz. When I build my next project a 60ish east coast show and go model A I will be listening to "doo whop". I'm thinking of naming her "jukebox baby" after the Perry Como tune.

9. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Ditto Shine

Just about like it all myself too

10. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mid 60's I found a roll of 440 in the garage. Dad comes home after work, and my 55 bird and Tom's 60 Vette are in the garage. Top of the workbench full of rajah's. " what are you two up to". "We're putting this old wire on the cars, supposed to be the hot set up."

"G..D..., that's for the boat. It never corrodes".

Not the first or last time.

paintslinger805 likes this.
  11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Ditto. The carbon core is just that, garbage. I have spiral wound on my truck because it has a hall effect distributor and I am a little paranoid, but I have run MSD's with a single point with solid core wires for decades, on multiple different combinations..

12. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

I remember when Rajah clip were the hottest thing since sunburn. Put a set on a engine with a Vertex mag. Boy you should have seen the electrical storm flying one evening when I open the hood at night. No more Rajah clips for me...lol

13. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

So you are telling me you are all over late 90's Brittney Spears and Gagsta rap?

Do wop has no soul. Neither does most popular music. But this is getting off topic.

14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I sidestep the whole issue and listen to '50s R&B...;):) Period-correct AND it has soul...

Runnin shine likes this.