Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Scrapyard find; 1929 Chevy roadster with Sears conversion.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by F&J, May 12, 2016.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

I like the INDY CAR/Top Fuel starter you are using. Bob

2. F&J

F&J

Well, I did "snap" the valves on the Number One cylinder that was no compession, and now I have good compression on all six......but the drill can't turn it over very well now. If my friend can't find a starter soon, I either need to make a hand crank, or pull 3 or 4 plugs out, to see if it will fire.

We have a early 50s crawler loader here that can easily pull the Chevy in gear, but I don't dare! We have all heard of the early Chevy's having weak rear axle shafts, if I try to pull start it, the amount of force on the axles, from the big gears trying to spin the small gears, might snap an axle? IDK

I got rained out, but it is ready to fire. I took the points out and ran the contacts on the wire wheel, and they are mint. One distributor cap clip was rotted off, but one from a VW bug fit perfect.

Then my son showed up and he cranked while I watched the oil pressure gauge.....no pressure..

So I fed oil down the 1/4" copper line from the gauge, to prime the pump. It looks like a small piston pump on the block, not sure though. Priming did not work until I primed it again while turning the motor backwards. Could be coincidence, but it then started pumping oil when I went the other direction with the drill.

I also found a single cylinder horizontal carb that I has forgotten about. It was one that I made a 90 degree adapter to mount on I think it was a 2 cyl-opposed 1907 Maxwell, that I needed to test start. So, that is on the Chevy now....and I have a one gallon test gas tank to hook up to it, and it's "ready to go" :) ..it does not sit level, but should work for now.
    DSCN0576.JPG

3. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Okay, last post may 14! Does that mean it's was a major success and you can't stop driving to post updates?
    Or did it go so bad someone got it by way of "last will"?

Please say it went well.

Regarding carb, wouldn't two more or two from a m
    Model A be better?
    Or maybe two from a VW bug, since ignition pieces fit make it one stop to shop?

And you could post the measurements for the starter, maybe someone knows something that fit from something else.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  4. funk 49

funk 49

Great find,great save. Keep us posted.
    Funk 49

5. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

Wow that is a neat piece. Would be a big hit here in CowHampshire at our many truck and tractor shows.

6. carbking

carbking

The Ford Model A carb you mentioned would be a better choice than the small engine carb you are currently using.

Original carb on the 1929 Chevrolet is a Carter type RJH-08. Early production is part number 125s, later production is part number 136s. Both were superceded in 1930 by type RJH-08 150s (which has a slightly larger main venturi). The Chevrolet carburetor has a 30 degree offset where the carb flange bolts to the intake.

While the Carter is a beautiful carburetor when restored, the 1929~1931 models were all much more problematic than the Zeniths used by Ford.

Jon.

volvobrynk likes this.