Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Sometimes Yah Gotta Do - What Yah Gotta Do . . . To get on the road!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Bored&Stroked, Jun 19, 2016.

1. So this last Thursday evening, went out into the garage to start my 32 Cab - had been sitting for a couple weeks and I wanted to wash it and get it ready to take down to the ECTA Race at Wilmington Ohio. When it sits for a bit (and it is warm), the gas percolates out of the carbs and it is a bit hard to start (I'm using a stock fuel pump) - takes a bit of cranking for the thing to fill the bowls.

So I leave the mag switch turned 'Off', crank it over a bit and pump the gas peddle a half dozen times. Now, mag switch back on and crank again. It starts to fire immediately, but kind of hits back on the starter hard. I give it a few more pumps, hit the starter button again . . . and the starter sounds really funny. (Keep in mind it was rebuilt when I put this new 42 Merc flathead engine in, at the end of last year). I think "Oh Crap - I bet the starter shaft is bent! :mad:".

So Friday AM, I pull the starter - spin it around by hand . . . Yep . . . bent armature shaft. Double Dog Ass Crap . . . I don't have a spare starter and I want to take the car to Wilmington. What to do? There is no way I can get the starter rebuilt in time (and they probably won't have an armature anyway), nobody has one 'in stock' . . . I'm basically SCREWED!

Hmmm - Start Pondering - There has Gotta Be a Way to Fix This Sucker??? So - maybe I can find an old starter somewhere out in the abyss of my barn. I dig around and there is exactly one to be found . . . old, rusty, in a wooden box - been sitting for years . . . probably came off of some engine I found 30 years ago. Well - it is the only one I have, so what the Hell do I have to lose . . . maybe it has a good armature?

2016-06-17 14.30.42.jpg

I take it apart - armature actually looks about new! :rolleyes: I tear my "good/rebuilt" and bent-ass starter apart and remove the armature. I "tune up" the armature out of the old starter I found - just a little polishing on my lathe.

2016-06-17 15.08.09.jpg
    Slap the good armature back into the rebuilt starter . . . back in the car . . . works like a champ.

2016-06-17 15.38.42.jpg

No money spent and just two hours of time - and I made it down to the race at Wilmington (where I wasn't racing, just meeting up with some fellow ECTA friends - Ronnie Roadster and Bob Ida and Crew..). My buddy Chris Daniels came down to enjoy the day . . . was a beautiful one.

Ron and Ron Junior both ran well with their flathead powered rear modified roadster (176 and 177 mph) and Bob Ida upped his record with the 'Frightening' - 193 mph.
    2016-06-18 14.47.52.jpg
    2016-06-18 11.42.10.jpg

Quite a few guys stopped me to ask what the Hell engine and cam was in my car . . . guess the snotty ass flathead made an impression on a few. LOL! (uncorked of course). I don't think any of them have heard a flathead sound quite like mine . . . .

Relentlessness Can Sometimes Overcome Adversity: Sometimes yah gotta improvise boys - find some way to overcome some stupid problem that is working hard to hose your schedule and well made plans. There are a lot of things that can be fixed - just make up your mind to do it . . .

Jed was a millionaire today . . .

draider, Jeff34, Jet96 and 6 others like this.
  2. flatford39

flatford39

Really like your work bench top. Is that a slab of old bowling alley???

3. mike bowling

mike bowling

Necessity; the Mother of Invention !
    Good job outthinking the problem with a "use what ya got" attitude.

4. Mercman4life

Mercman4life

Way to go ! I don't like throwing anything away just for that reason. My wife will say I am a hoarder but I say I might need it some day.

volvobrynk likes this.

5. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

well shit...I thought this thread was gonna hava happy ending with you finally putting a 283 in that thing...oh well

;)

Moriarity, Jeff34, belair and 2 others like this.
  6. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

Nice work. I feel there is a fine line between being a hoarder and being prepared for anything. I consider myself well prepared.

7. If you heard this thing, you'd be transformed into a full-blown flathead lover . . . there is NO OHV that sounds anything like this - it is THE SOUND of an old bad-ass hotrod! :eek: You'd be begging me to build yah one! :D

Nobey, kidcampbell71, waxhead and 4 others like this.
  8. good stuff, great to seeing things getting done and not giving up. Now if I could bottle up a bit of the sound of Ron's blown flatty in his mistress .......that is old fashion bad-ass.
    Cheers,
    Drewfus

9. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

been accused of that too

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Nice work on the starter, where is the post about, you fixing the fuel issue?

Maybe try a small squeeze bottle with fuel in to the carbs float assembly? And let it start on that, till the flow is up to speed. So to speak.

I have the same thing about saving stuff, so now I feel more normal

11. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

but..but.. what about the sbc haters? :)

3wLarry likes this.
  12. 283 what's that? Is that late model I thought we were talking hotrods here.:D Don't streetrods have chevy motors not true hotrods they run flattys. Lol all jokes aside I can't wait to hear my flatty dale because yours sounds wicked... And this is a good post since I have about 6 starters I'm sure one will work now:). Talk to you soon.

3wLarry likes this.