Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical *** June 2016 Banger Meet - Time for Crickets and June bugs***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, May 31, 2016.

1. A BONED

A BONED

20150622_205707.jpg View attachment 3242854 Hey fellas, went for a drive out in the sticks the other day and my model B motor ran like crap, missing and popping all over the place. I stopped to get some gas and noticed that there was condensation on the base of both Stromberg 97's. Putting my hand on the 2x2 Riley intake I noticed it was still cool, this is after driving for an hour. It was cold during the early morning blast in the roadster, and I'm not running a hood at the moment. Obviously manifold heat is an issue. Does anyone else have this problem, any ideas on a good fix?

Chris.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
    youngrodder1929 likes this.
  2. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

back when we were running webers on our motorcycle , carb icing was a good thing . but the definition is :
    What causes carburetor icing?
    Carburetor Icing, or carb icing, is an icing condition which can affect any carburetor under certain atmospheric conditions. Carburetor icing occurs when there is humid air, and the temperature drop in the venturi causes the water vapor to freeze.

hope this helps . the missing was the water vapor

3. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is surface rust metal finished in cloudy daylight

Sent from my XT1254 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. chriseakin

chriseakin

I had carb icing (on an o/t car several years ago) - a heavy build-up of frost outside AND inside the carb. Turned out it was caused by an air leak around the throttle shaft. Couldn't find anybody who knew how or was willing to build it so I replaced it. I had been told it should be possible to rebore the hole the shaft went through and put in a bushing, but couldn't find anybody.

5. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

That is surface rust metal finished in cloudy daylight
    I figured that but parts look to be a pearl . thanks

6. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

On some of my old engines I wrap copper tube around the exhaust and then run the tubing to carb base. Looks old school and works. You can use brake tube too.

7. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Took a ride in the Zipper today and this is the first time I've put some miles on since a number of changes were made. Installed a bronze timing gear, new FS module and the 32-36 Weber progressive two barrel. After running a pair of English Stromberg 97's, a single Stromberg 97 and a Mooneyes EFI, the Weber is far and away the better setup. The intake was from Bert's and I bought the Weber adapter to use the K&N filter designed for 97's. In order to get the carb under the hood, I had to take 3/8" off the runners and another 1/4" off the mounting base. IMG_3024.JPG

Dannerr, G Baese, ROCKER77 and 2 others like this.
  8. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Great steering gear!

9. A BONED

A BONED

Hi Bluto, would you have any images of the copper tube fix?

10. A BONED

A BONED

Thanks chriseakin, for your reply. I'll check my 97's again for sloppy throttle shafts

11. A BONED

A BONED

V4F, this looks to be exactly what was happening the other day. I did notice later in the morning when the weather got a little warmer the old girl started running better.

12. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

4x4 , I went thru 2 of everything & the weber is much better in so many ways . congrats !

13. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Sorry, I've no photos for you but it's really simple you take a a piece of copper tubing 1/4, 5/16s and start wrapping it round from the exhaust manifold to the intake. Use a piece of rope to wrap first to get look you like. Measure that to see how much tubing you need And then start wrapping there is no real right or wrong way as long as it doesn't interfere with the linkage

I need to wrap hands around my morning ltr of coffee

14. Anyone running headers on an updraft set-up? I know reds has a header for it.

15. 97

Heating the intake and/or intake air will reduce the likelyhood of carb icing, but heated intake air reduces available horsepower...its a compromise if the heating is working permanently. But you can take advantage of the principle that heat rises , make a sheetmetal "stove on the exhaust manifold and some ducting to the intake manifold and the air intake/cleaner which can be "switched" from hot air intake to normal ambient or even cold air intake. If you put the stove etc at the back of the manifolds it will not be obvious .
    Aircraft obviously have a much bigger problem with carb icing than cars... so they have carb heat as a factory fitted item .. with a control and all pilots are trained in it's use.
    http://www.pilotfriend.com/training/flight_training/fxd_wing/carb_heat.htm
    of course the Pietenpol airplane was designed to have a Ford banger engine and had a bean can on the front exhaust with a tube to the carb....

http://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hcc/2009/05/Now-you-see-it--now-you-don-t/1814233.html

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  16. A BONED

A BONED

Thanks 97, there's some great information in those articles. I like the idea of tubing wrapped around the exhaust manifold and then around the intake, however it would be a nightmare to remove either manifold when required. I think either circulating coolant around the intake or using the heat from the exhaust manifold might be a better solution in my case. Thanks everyone that posted for your assistance on this.

17. 97

I used some small diameter copper tubing wrapped around an exhaust on an off topic car way way in the past. BUT it was for heating water for a steam injection system II was experimenting with. Trying to overcome detonation issues , after we went too far with raising compression . It worked well, and kept the pistons and valves very clean ( from carbon) but as always, we moved on to different ideas... and until now I had forgotten about it. I guess you could make a wrap of soft copper tube on the exhaust, leave the lower tail below the manifold and direct the upper tail either at the carb base or into the intake. the hot air in the tube should rise and suck in fresh air to be heated . Bunnings has 3meter coils of 1/2 " soft copper here so I imagine they also sell it in Melbourne.... about $20.

18. A BONED

A BONED

Thanks 97, that sound like a good option. You appear to be an innovative dude!

19. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

A Boned there is very well made 97 carby spacer that has coolant piped through it available
    I am sure if you do search here of passed banger meets you will find it

20. PhredH

PhredH

For heated 97 carb spacer contact: Imperial Speed & Custom, Oregon or Washington state

21. PhredH

PhredH

22. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

yea that's the 1
    ran them a while back they work

23. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

I'm having a overheating issue. My car sat at trog and idled forever then would make a pass at trog, I'd come back to the pits and the radiator would be cool. Now I take it up the store on a quick blast and back and it starts puking coolant and bubbling into the overflow tank. Happens with hood on or hood off. It's a new water pump w a 4 blade fan. I was thinking that I need a under drive pulley for the crank? Combo is a b engine w thomas head , a cast iron header, and two 81s. Car runs great except over heating. Anyone have any suggestions or am I on right track w going to smaller crank pulley.

24. Is it really overheating? Or is it throwing out coolant from too much pressure?

25. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

It's bubbling boiling water in the overflow canister

26. ebtm3

ebtm3

Bunch of crud from inside the block got washed into the radiator?

Herb

27. MJW

MJW
    from NJ
    1. PA. NJ. local HAMBERS group

Has the timing changed? Too much and it will overheat. For the amount of time you ran it under load at the TROG may not have made a difference.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

I'll chexk the timing. And I have been pulling crush out of radiator. Maybe I'll swap the radiator out for another one I have. Just thought maybe at constant speed the water pump could be turning too fast

29. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

30. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

Wrapping fuel line around exhaust manifold was a WWII trick used by farmers and others to run kerosene in their gas engines. Had to start and run on gas until manifold got hot then switch over.

Jet96 and ratamahata like this.