Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods why I like LS engines/CL score?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by anthony myrick, Jun 15, 2016.

1. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I was just down at my mentors shop pulling the 400 out of his truck the other day, and I noticed a 914 sitting there on 4 flat tires. Theres a gen III sitting in the basement at my acreage, the wheels started turning immediately...

Tim_with_a_T likes this.
  2. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I have a small-block s-10...:p With (the horror....the horror) weld draglites!!!:eek::confused:

3. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I have a 5.3 and 4L60E from a 2007 GMC that I got for free. It looks fine in my shop, right beside my '55 331 and '57 392. :)

falcongeorge likes this.
  4. you need another project........:rolleyes:

5. removed the heads, had a lot of water and rust in the cylinders
    would definitely need bored if still usable
    PM me if ya want to check it out
    heads look usable. looks like I will keep the valve covers and oil filter adaptor, flywheel , fork
    and sell/trade the rest
    looks like a 3spd Saginaw for a Camaro/Firebird

6. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

good god that would be fun/ scary!

7. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Poor mans Can-Am car!!, IIRC, Hot Rod rod-tested a 914 with a mid-ships 302 zapper that belonged to a guy named Rod Simpson? I have wanted one ever since. And since a carbed, nasty Gen III is like 200hp up on a GOOD zapper...

8. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

Even without the ECM,stock vs. stock, the LS engines are still lighter, have better flowing heads,and last longer than earlier generations of SBCs, and they should since they are newer technology. That said, I still prefer to have small journal SBC with some camel humps in my Hot Rod any day vs. a modern LS. I won't discredit the LS engines even though they are O/T here.

19Eddy30 likes this.
  9. oldcargary

oldcargary
    from devore, Ca

This is so true, I've bought 3 small block takeouts (all good running engines) Hope these guys keep doing it, I don't want a computer motor in my pre-war cars.

anthony myrick and volvobrynk like this.
  10. The LS is the same as the small block. One of the things hot rodding is about is HP, performance. When the small block debuted, the flathead was a relic and if one could shoe-horn in the newest technologies, they would. Same is happening now. Granted, the LS is not as peasant to look at as a SBC or SBF but not all older engines are "pretty." I like to use a rule of thumb, if the engine shows when parked, like a duece, model a, hoodless shoebox, then traditional is pretty much required. But if it needs to be opened to see the motor, LS is just fine. But even modern motors can be made to look just fine, such as the previous pic of the Hollywood Hotrods '32 RPU with a coyote motor in it. First glance, it evokes a 427 cammer.

Nitroholic, 19Eddy30 and S.F. like this.
  11. slammed

slammed

http://www.dogfightmag.com/

camer2 likes this.
  12. S.F.

S.F.

And anyone with an LS swap will be passing you all at 100 mph sideways with smoke rolling off the tires, with the AC on, sipping on a big gulp........Most run of the mill LS (LM7) truck engines have more power bone stock than most muscle cars did in the 60's...and get 20 miles per gallon on top of that. All my junk has 327's in them, and they will stay that way, but... LSx engines are fantastic.

belair, Nitroholic, 19Eddy30 and 3 others like this.
  13. RmK57

RmK57

They should also be doing this with a paper bag over their head, apologizing for the piss poor engine swap decision they made.

camer2 and slammed like this.
  14. I guess it depends if you drive your ride a lot. My 1941 Buick will forever sport the Fireball dual-carbed straight 8, (though a conversion to a 200R is in its near future.) Yet my 57 Bel Air Wagon and my 53 Studebaker Coupe will be driven by LS3's and overdrives, along with C4 suspension all the way around in the Stude. Why? Because I plan on the Stude being my daily driver and the 57 is going to be the family road trip car. I like 450 hp and twenty miles to the gallon, if i keep my foot out of it. I have two flat-head powered cars, A couple of stock Stude motored cars, a 6 cyl Chevy, but I do not drive them much and only enjoy the idea of the car when i do, not the performance.

15. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

No denying the LS is capable of serious power ....... But man they are plain ugly. A few years back it was rumored the LS would evolve into a headless , short block void of all the common valve train as we know it. No cam, lifters, pushrods, valve springs, retainers , keepers. It'd have a flat plate covering each cylinder bank. This future version uses a silinoid like device replacing the valves, over each cylinder that allows both intake/exhaust functions to be controlled by a crank sensor. These deletions added a reported 70 plus horsepower supposedly, that remains to be seen. If the Pistons were troughed out enough to clear the valves , kiddos would soon be using a laptop to alter what use to be a camshaft profile. I'll always be true to vintage tech cause that's why'd I love to drive old cars that remind me I love them in a simpler format. Next thing you know there might be a aftermarket kit to retro fit older engines? Interesting indeed, but imagine how weird it'd look? Especially whatever kind of runner deals it'd take to flow air intake & exhaust out of the cylinders? Would it be possible to eliminate valve float? Would there even be any valves ? Interesting indeed for today's world but never as classy as primitive & proven mills from the past. :eek:Flux

16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Yea, sitting in a lawn chair at the drive-in, watching the lowly peons ohh and ahh over the acknowledged "coolness" of your engine choice, now THATS REAL hot rodding...;):D

volvobrynk likes this.
  17. Hmmm....Hot Rodders must have a different concerns in the Great White North (assuming the BC stands for British Columbia). Never worried about whether or not my car nor I was cool, its just about driving a car that I like. And a drive-in....?

18. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Thats irony and you missed, even i
    I knew that. Sorry couldn't help my self. @falcongeorge don't use emoji-cons, but he is epiphany of era-perfect and irony! Priceless

That is funny, even if it's true! But a SBC Shit-dime needs to run drag-lite to be EP?

Beg to differ: how about a rebuild 265, 283 and/or 301 (z28 302)?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Oh, its true alright, check my albums on my profile page. Its my shop truck, and it gets driven a LOT, was hauling the kids to school, but its a little cramped. Ran 12.0s last year, its apart getting an update that should put it deep into the 11's and still FULLY streetable. Its in the album titled "Physiological Trauma Generator" Thats a little "tip of the hat" to the anti-performance crowd that inhabits this place. Matter of fact, one may surmise that this whole post is...;):rolleyes:
    I have been thinking about going to chinese webers for the fat 35 ft lbs gain in mid-range. But you know, my brother has an "LS" core sitting in my basement, if I used LQ9 heads, it would be easier to fab an IR Weber intake for that motor. Hmmm, Gen III with 4 down-draft IDA's running deep 11's in an S10? Would that be the ultimate in inspiring HAMB rodabilly hatred?? Maybe I should put some 17's on it???:D

And yes, daddio, that was irony. When I go to a cruise night, I usually park my shit out on the street, and the hood stays closed...

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  20. Wow, enough of this thread! Sorry, but wiggly little faces do not always convey the intended tone. I am sorry I m not well versed in the emoticon language. I have enough problem with English.

21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Sorry, my sense of humour is a reflection of my Scottish heritage...

19Eddy30 likes this.
  22. FB score this time
    This got removec for an LS
    68 472
    $150
    36A60B70-1E4E-46B9-A77B-53A662B07DFF.jpeg

23. deucendude

deucendude
    from norcal

I love my LS engine. I think I will leave it in my Yukon where it belongs.

Bandit Billy and belair like this.
  24. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

My All Steel Henry Ford 32 Full Fenders Non chop
    Has Look of what was done in 1950 , 39 motor & tranns 32 rear,
    40 juice breaks , stock frame is being ""Hot Rod ""again . Up grade to Boxed frame , 9 inch , disc brake ,split wish Qa1 shocks race 4 bar . It will have the look of 60s build Hot Rod except NO LS !!!
    But with a Toyota 2JZ 3.0 straight 6
    ((( Ultimate Sin)) with 50-60s Vintage parts Enderle Barn door , Moon, Eelco , SW etc.
    I am going this route because @ Hp leave in my 30 , 10 mpg
    100 plus octane fuel Price to Run 6,40s & the maintenance cost ,
    (( Valve springs & oil change @1,000 miles))
    for a regularly Street driven Race Hot Rod .
    My goal for 32 is to run 5:90s - 6:00 @ 115 mph 1/8 . 25 mpg plus on 87 octane with Meth injection on full pull, Low maintenance , oil changes, timming belt plug change about 40,000 miles. A
    1/4 of the price of Ls/ Coyote set up . both can be made to look Vintage if you put effort & thought into .
    My definition of a Hot Rod is drive to the grocery store ,drag race it , H P /Et & Enjoy !!
    I have 40 years of 60- 90s speed part ,motors ,trans etc.
    not selling dirt cheap/ give away because I'm Evolving !!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    29AVEE8 likes this.
  25. Sounds cool
    Thread is not anti technology
    Just to show deals are out there when you pay attention
    The EFI guys sometimes almost give away some nice parts. I have scored nice sbc stuff, a flathead and a few others like this 472
    The s10 chassis guys usually sell the original chassis real cheap. A local guy had a nice clean swb 47/54 gm chassis with running straight 6 for $150 Not bad if you need one to fix a butchered sub frame graft or heavily damaged/rusty original.
    This is why I talk to all types of car owners at shows/ cruise ins. You find all kinds of neet stuff.
    Had a guy ask if I would install his plug and play EFI engine for me keeping the great running sbc and auto, might just do it

26. While i love my old small blocks with carb's. The aftermarket has been slowly adding some great trick parts to help disguise the LS motor into looking more like a traditional engine, though you need deep pockets. Thats one thing the small block chevy has always had going for it was that it has always been the bargain V8. If I could ever get to building my dream mild custom tri five i would run a LS though do alot of work to hide its tech.

27. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

That old Edelbrock intake, I think is a torquer, would almost cover your cost of the entire motor. Seems like every car show I watch has a LS3 going into the cars being built.

28. Yes on the shows because they are quick and easy
    I have noticed more vintage power plants from more pro builders in the past few years.
    My old boss is using yblocks in a lot of his builds. I have seen many FEs lately as well
    A lot of pro builders are using same make engines in builds to get corporate attention such as The Ford in a Ford awards plus the corporate awards given out at shows like SEMA
    The odd thing about the 472 I just picked up is that is was removed to install an inferior 5.3 truck engine when compared to the 472s 375hp500+ torque ratings. The OD trans will hate the caddy’s high speed gear ratio
    That’s ok though. I will grab up these leftovers and smile

enloe likes this.