Register now to get rid of these ads!

c6 transmission will not shift up to 3rd gear

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 65fordguy, Nov 8, 2008.

1. 65fordguy

65fordguy

Sounds Identical to my problem. Maybe it is related to the shifter?? since that is one common factor here...

2. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

It's possible, from what I can tell, its kinda hard to shift into gear, but I know I have it in drive, the first one after nuetral, It should work there, I can get it to go one more click down, but then it doesnt shift from 1st. so maybe its in second where I think its drive, but there's nothing in between that and nuetral

3. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

but what explains the quick 1st to 2nd shifts?

4. 65fordguy

65fordguy

Mine shifts quick on some occasions... just depends on if im putting around or driving normal... putting around or easily driving it shift quickly.. if i give it steady gas on start up it stays in first longer.

5. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

Well I played around with mine all morning, My shifter is a B&M ratchet shifter, Now that I realize how it works, I see it definatley has 3 gears, what the transmission isnt doing is starting out is 1st gear after ive been driving it. but its there when you manualy put it in

6. 57 shaker

57 shaker
    from phx.az

Hey Edelbroke your problem sounds like a gov.problem.You can take the extention housing off and remove the gov and take it apart.Just lay all the parts out on a rag in the order that they come out,after cleaning all parts put the valves back in their bores and if everything is clean and dry the valve should move freely.If its not free assemble it and bang it around on the bench,it will free up.The problem is unless you've just recently opened a cooler line or something got into the dipstick tube it might be metal from the converter or clutch meterial, good luck

7. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

thanks for that info 57shaker,

8. 65fordguy

65fordguy

Well, surprisingly... I think it actually up shifted to third a couple times... but I was running hard... probably going 60 ish or so. I let off the throttle and brought it back up and it was coasting good for awhile... then I started to hear the motor revving again and it slowed down and started revving like it had been. did the same thing and it kinda did it again... just not as long.... not sure.. but it was coasting along pretty good. and quiet too. like it should.... Dunno... still going to take it in and get the valve replaced.

9. 57 shaker

57 shaker
    from phx.az

Just manual shift it for awhile.manual shift up through the gears then as your slowing manual shift down and after some driving let it shift automatic and if it's not right go back to manual shifting.

10. 65fordguy

65fordguy

hey guys, the other day I took the truck out for a 40 mile drive.... while going down one of many hills here in arkansas I got going fairly fast... faster than Id been going.. 50 or so.. so I let off the gas ... mind you this is in second gear... got to the bottom of the hill I eased on the gas... to my amazement it was in 3rd gear... lasted for a while till another hill and it down shifted.. stayed there... was going through a long straight piece there and I ran up the rpms to around 3k and let off the gas and did the same thing revved high off the gas... eased on the gas... it was in third.. and it drove great... 55-60 at about 2000 rpm. But it just wont shift up automatically and normally... it has to be revved high.and kinda tricky to get into third still.. sometimes it doesnt work... What would this mean???

11. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Means it still needs looking at...........I seem to remember you were working with a transmission shop, yes ????????

How is that going????????

12. 65fordguy

65fordguy

well I havent been back since last diagnosis of the valve body... just saving my pennies to buy one. Christmas broke me. I just remembered someone told me that it meant something if it did shift.vs if it didnt.

13. Thomas Murrah

Thomas Murrah

is anyone still watching this thread i need some info on my recent rebuild please reply if so thanks

14. P.Nelson

P.Nelson
    from brigham ut

Old post but I was wondering if you ever figured this out. Mine is a new rebuild and doing this exact thing. Did 200 miles today and only got into 3rd once for about 15-30 miles. Loved how it ran when it was in the gear it needed to be in. Would love to hear if you got this fixed.

15. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Old thread, but anybody messing with C4 and C6 transmissions should buy: upload_2016-6-18_9-24-0.png

These transmissions are known to get sticky 2-3 shift valves. The smallest piece of debris will cause it.

16. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

very old thread - never ended with a true answer to the problem - my C6 Ford column shift that never had any problems or leaks - did not get driven for a while - now will not go into 3rd gear - not with shifter or by driving and automatically shifting - 1st/2nd/reverse/park all work properly - anyone else have this problem & found an answer?

17. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Kickdown linkage won’t have any effect on a no 2-3 shift

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  18. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

If it’s actually starting in second gear you have a governor problem. Take it apart and clean it

19. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

nope put in "D" and starts in first, then into 2nd and then does not shift into 3 rd

20. 33Doll

33Doll

If its like a C4 The vacuum hose diaphragm thingy could have a leak, or hose, my hose came off before and would not get into 3rd?
    Just a thought.

21. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

As I said above, failure to shift into 3rd indicates a stuck 2-3 shift valve. The smallest piece of clutch/band material can get it stuck. I'd remove/disassemble/clean the valve body.

22. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

Either a sticky shift valve, vacuum switch on pump ( most likely) Or a leak in the clutch circuit

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

YEP - when I went under to see trans, shift linkage looked good - could see that there was hose on metal line and on modulator - but, with wide trans crossmember could not see entire hose - went and got my phone to take pic of linkage, since did not find online - went under from other side & touch metal tube, wiggled - finally found out that thin walled line had a straight split at end of metal tube - went to parts store, got replacement thick walled hose / for free! - installed new hose and the world is good again -

olscrounger likes this.
  24. birdman1

birdman1

25. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Internal pressure leak past a cut o ring is my 2cents . That C6 is one tuff Dude , its almost indestructible with normal use . The governor sticky is a maybe .