Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Leaky carbs lead to complete engine cleanup (Pic heavy)

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Probesport, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

That looks really nice.

Probesport likes this.
  2. Last night I only had a little bit of time to spend on the A so I just did a few miscellaneous tasks, including finalizing the fuel system layout. Next step for the fuel system is to tighten everything, a little polishing, and possible re-route of the hard lines.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and since its become a pattern now, how it sits this morning.

[​IMG]

3. I finalized the under dash/cowl wiring, mounted some of the wire standoffs, radiator, and overflow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The fuse box tucks up into the cowl, however a Dzus fastener can unlock and swing it down for easier access from the passenger compartment.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Harness mount, headlight wiring

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and of course, how it sits now.

[​IMG]

T-roaster likes this.
  4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

ya done good - you do know that it is cheating to have top of cowl removable? - a real man has to access under dash where you can't bend to put your hands where they do not fit in an area that you can not see

gas pumper and Probesport like this.
  5. Damnit, I didn't even consider that. I guess that's one of the downfalls of having no idea what I am doing and just making shit up as I go.

volvobrynk and pat59 like this.
  6. ol'stinky

ol'stinky
    from New Jersey

I'm so into that cowl access panel. super clean and well done!

Probesport likes this.
  7. Thanks. The cowl could be made easier to remove, at this time, I have to loosen the band and remove a half dozen bolts/screws. I think I may build a latching mechanism or use Dzus fasteners. I have also thought about potentially hinging it and being able to open like a hood.

Takes about 5 minutes to remove as it sits, but I can charge the battery through a trickle lead that comes up through the factory gas cap and I can swing down the fuse box. The only real reason to remove is if I have to change anything or to check/add brake fluid.

You can check the fluid by feel "Jalopy Joker" style and fill with a syringe if you absolutely had to. I pull the cowl uff maybe twice a year at this point so the extra work hasn't been an issue

Atwater Mike likes this.
  8. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Really nice job, looks great!

Probesport likes this.
  9. I spent some time doing this Sugru mount project here so I only have a few updates to share.

I redid some of the wiring(again) to further clean things up

[​IMG]

Finished the fuel line mount which previously had a piece of tubing and a dab of Sugru to hold it in place. Now I have made the entire insert from Sugru.

[​IMG]

While I was at it I also did the PCV line mounts for the same reason, simplified the design and replaced the hard line as it had been bent and scarred enough.

[​IMG]

Closeup of same, you can clearly see the mounts now.

[​IMG]

These last few shots are after some body cleanup time was spent.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The only things left are the oil pan, finish the fuel system, make all connections, fluids, and then fire it up. This week it's looking like unless more things pop up of course.

T-roaster and gas pumper like this.
  10. My apologies for the lack of updates to those who have been watching, I've had to work on some of my other OT cars. I started back up again yesterday and finished some of the fuel system components and terminating some wiring.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great work. Are you planning on doing something with the upper rad hose? Gloss black painted fabricated exhaust tubing with rubber ends always looks better than any rubber hose to me. Good luck.

12. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

Really, really dig the fuel gauge support. think it is an awesome idea to fill the awkwardness of the split from the manifold to twin carbs.

Probesport likes this.
  13. I will come up with something for the rad hoses, not sure what just yet. If I fab something it will most likely be aluminum however I will be replacing this radiator at some point so I'm not in a hurry.

14. Do you have any pictures (Close up) how cowl removal is accomplished? My son and I are building a 30 closed cab pickup. I planed on a 90* peddle assembly . WOW do I like how you did yours. I am going to copy.

15. Thanks, lots more pics on my blog - modelabuild.blogspot.com but the cowl is screwed on as they normally would be so I do have to take out a handful of screws. The tank was removed from the cowl top, and a portion of it became the dash.

I believe on the blog there is a complete writeup of the pedal assembly including all the parts, I would have to dig through to find it and I can't access it at the moment. I am more than happy to assist with any questions though.

16. Here's a few pedal pics I found

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The bare chassis, with cowl off and "dash" remaining

[​IMG]

17. more

[​IMG]

and more pedal

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope that helps!

18. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

Here's my Flathead in Cummins Beige 32 ford pics 004.jpg

19. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

Looks really nice. I really like the lift off cowl cover exposing the wiring and master cylinder. How do you do the wire lacing? what is the material and how is it secured?

20. 68_F100

68_F100

Love the look. You do some awesome work. I love how things like this start and snowball. For me changing a header gasket turned into a cam swap. These are always the fun projects.

Probesport likes this.
  21. burninfatties

burninfatties
    from Ocala, FL

I would like to know more about the battery in your cowl. Is it just for audio and or alarm or is it for cranking. The size is just right for tight installs. I am close to wiring a new build of my 29 A RPU. Thanks

22. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very nice work--love the details

23. Wire lacing is done with lacing tape or string, a wax coated line that si specifically used for wire lacing. It's actually one continues run only tied at each end. Check out this link for more info http://www.dairiki.org/hammond/cable-lacing-howto

That battery is my only battery, it powers the car - I currently have no audio in there - not that you'd hear it anyway. It's been in there a couple years without fail, I have a battery tender lead that I can access through the original gas cap

24. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I installed telephone central offices for quite a few years, and after lacing countless thousands of feet of cable in cable racks got pretty good at it. I had a pretty good sized callous on the side of my right hand below the base of my little finger. Nowadays I use a nylon tie wrap occasionally, but most of my wiring is still laced.

25. Ken, what brand is that battery? part number would be great.

26. Alternator now on and done. I didn't care for the black paint that I did previous so I had to repaint, and since I was in there I refreshed the internals.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

KoolKat-57 likes this.
  27. indyjps

indyjps

Beige is a better match with the maroon, that green is a nice color, may have to use it in the future.

If your looking for opinions: the alternator cover draws my eyes to it in each pic, stands out and doesn't tie in with the rest of the engine. Maybe it's just the slanted cut outs.

Overhaul looks great, keep the details coming.

28. Perhaps, but I like it so I have to just deal with it not looking good :)

29. indyjps

indyjps

Right on, I'm getting some good ideas to use on my own junk. Appreciate the post.

Probesport likes this.