Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods When did American Racing stop producing a 15x5 5x5.5 torque thrust?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris, Jun 16, 2016.

1. I picked this pair of torque thrust up tonight, they are newer strait spoke American Racing torque thrust. They are 15x5, with the big Ford 5x5.5" bolt pattern. My question is, does anyone know when they quit producing these, or have a way to date these? I'm just curious

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Deuces likes this.
  2. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Are you sure that they quit making them, they look like new, Ryan has been kinda lookin for some for his truck I think, but he may want grey spokes,not sure?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
  3. nobux

nobux

They make the polished TTO'S in 15x5 in 5x5.5 , but not the grey.

4. Ah, they do still make them. I could not find them anywhere online, but I was searching Torque Thrust and not TTO. Thanks for the info.

5. Chris
    I thought I would never ever get to say this to you, you are way too sharp for this but what the hell there is a spot for every dot right? Pick up the phone man. LOL

You should be able to buy them from your favorite catalog speed shop (or mine :D ) it is the 3 and 4" that are hard to come by. The only real problem you should have is if you are looking for a wide bolt pattern they are available in 5 0n 4.5 and 5 on 4.75 but I have not seen them offered in 5 on 5 or 5 on 5.5.

As for dating those look like modern wheels to me.

6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't see a made in China anywhere on them. I looked at 15x4.5's and 15x5's before I bought 15x6" for my Ford. Look up the #'s from the back of the wheel to match them if you can. I saved almost 50% off their price by purchasing them thru my local Americas Tire. Some of the models have a lead time too. Good Luck.

7. Honestly, I'm looking for a pair of 15x4's in that bolt pattern, and a guy I know said he had a pair. I went and looked at them, and they ended up being these 15x5's. He said he bought them at a swap meet maybe 10 years ago. I could not find them online, so purchased them as I thought they were better then nothing. I know they are new, but I didn't know if these were made in like 1990 or 2014. It does not say "made in China" anywhere...but they don't say "Made in America" either. It does not really matter, I was just curious. I may still use these, sand blast and try to age them a little to match my rears. I'm not wanting to pay the big $$$$$$ for real deal 15x4's

8. 68_F100

68_F100

I tend to like the as cast centers the most.

[​IMG]

Deuces and LOU WELLS like this.
  9. Made in China has become the Made in Japan of the new millennium. I would imagine that American has a little stricter quality control than say "Wilbur's Hot rod Stuff and Fried Chicken" would have. I know we all want Made in America, although if it is about our economy what we really want is Made in the USA, there are two continents worth of America. :D

Anyway in an effort to not be political I would not be really afraid of American mags even if they did cross and ocean to get to me. Now "Wilbur's . . ." not so much. ;)

Fortunateson likes this.
  10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Easiest way to spot the TTO's is the big center cap.

bowie likes this.
  11. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

How about Bob's Fish Chips and Insurance? You get a free lunch with every policy.

12. cartman4gc

cartman4gc

I want a set of Torq Thrust with 5 on 5.5, but looking at their site, it looks like they make 15x5 in polished only , and larger widths in silver only? Can they be special ordered?

13. indyjps

indyjps

Best bet is to get the finish on the rear and fronts to match. Paint the centers of both, polish the lips.

As far as made in America, youre driving the economy buying used parts, putting money into play in the USA.

Deuces, flatford39 and low budget like this.
  14. Anything can be special ordered. All it takes is time and money.

Deuces likes this.
  15. Larry T

Larry T

I just received my American wheels for the Anglia (15 X4 and 15X10). Says "Made in the USA" right on the box. I'm gonna guess they would make a set of TTOs to the same specs.
    004.JPG

005.JPG

001.JPG

Deuces, bowie and falcongeorge like this.
  16. 31Apickup

31Apickup

In the early 2000's you could order custom offsets and bolt patterns through their custom shop. Now it shows mostly different color options

Sent from my SGH-T399 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. Larry T

Larry T

My wheel boxes were taped with tape that say "Custom Shop" on it. The wheels got here a couple of weeks ago. 003.JPG

18. You should still be able to order the bolt pattern through the custom shop, a friend of mine bout a set of 15X8 and 15X4 salt flats with the 5.5 spacing through the custom shop about 2 years ago, as they did not list the 15x4 in the 5.5 pattern.

19. This may sound dumb, but what era where they called "TTO", and is the center cap the same as the 60's era caps? Or are these bigger?

20. Larry T

Larry T

The era they were called TTO (Torque Thrust Originals) is now. I'm pretty sure they use different caps and bulge nuts instead of the original shouldered style mag wheel nuts.

21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

yup, the modern caps are way bigger.
    Heres a modern TTO...
    are_tto.jpg
    Note the larger lip around the center of the cap, and that there is no lip on the face of the rim where it rolls into the barrel of the wheel.

Gennie vintage americans, courtesy of bad penny...
    100_3208-vi (1).jpg
    Note how there is no real lip around the center cap, and there is a lip where the rim rolls into the barrel. The bolt circle is larger on the late caps, so no, you cant mount early caps on TTO's.

The cheaper US Mags five spokes are actually closer to the early five spokes, and have the same cap bolt pattern with the early Torq-Thrusts. Once you swap out the CHEESY caps, they actually look a LOT closer to the vintage Torq-Thrusts than the TTO's do. But I dont think they do a 15x4.
    [​IMG]

One thing that bugs me, NONE of the modern wheels have a shallow enough back-space to look like the real stuff. But the US Mags probably get closest.

Deuces and speedyb like this.
  22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Heres a pic thirtytwo sent me of a US Mag with a vintage ET cap on it. You can see a slight lip around the edge of the early cap, if you really wanted to go nuts, you could grind this down with a die grinder and re-paint the center, and other than the modern recessed lug nuts, it would be pretty tough to spot them.
    image (1).jpg

Deuces and speedyb like this.
  23. Don't know if these have been mentioned before, but the page says 5 x 5.5 is available and they have a wide variety of widths in both cast & polished... http://www.etmags.com/classic_v.html

24. Resurrecting this old thread now that I’m looking for TWO of them
    AR TT or TTO, cast or grey spokes, machined or polished rim, 5x5-1/2 bc.
    Or a link to special order the bolt pattern if only available that way. I couldn’t find it
    Thanks!

25. Bump just in case someone gets a tip.