Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods why I like LS engines/CL score?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by anthony myrick, Jun 15, 2016.

1. checked out the specks on that intake
    that's a lot of intake for a 283

19Eddy30 likes this.
  2. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

No, not really, hell I even have a flathead here. I was kinda thinking about calling a scrapper...;):eek::D No, I get it, Hell, I'm putting an Olds rocket in my '39, with a period cam and 3.78s no less:eek:, now THATS gonna be gutless. I just like to poke the bear a little...

19Eddy30, volvobrynk and Old-Soul like this.
  3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

gears are your friend...But yes, it is WAAAAY too much intake for the typical HAMB 283...

19Eddy30 and anthony myrick like this.
  4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Best SBC.......... EVER.

Baumi likes this.
  5. indyjps

indyjps

Yep, lots of sbc's getting built then swapped for LS within a year or 2. You can score good deals on restorations getting gutted and built up engines.

Really a good time to look for interior stuff too. Find some early to mid 60's buckets getting pulled for the "pro touring" treatment.

6. Trucker Jim

Trucker Jim

Me too !! I had a guy give me a complete 1967 Chevy van because it had a 283 and not a 350 .. Pain in the rear to extract but worth every hast swear word !!! Gond Yorker 1 intake at local motor shop for $20.

Jim

anthony myrick likes this.
  7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

"It's a real motor" is putting it lightly Jim.
    As a 16 year old kid in 1970, I had the opportunity to drive an LS-6, 454, 4speed Chevelle, the memory will never leave my brain. These were factory rated at 450 h.p. (conservative).
    The LS-7 engines were the over the counter upgrade at 460 h.p. again conservatively rated.
    You won't see the likes of those days again.

czuch likes this.
  8. squirrel

squirrel

Mine has no compression and not much cam. It's still fun.

9. wife just got home and asked about the engine in the back of the truck
    I told her I bought some valve covers with the deluxe instillation kit

the numbers look like a 67 283

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  10. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is a shop here that does lots of conversions-take out 327's,454's etc and swap in LS stuff-I go by now and then to see what can be had-they also took out a fresh 585 Sharihoff (sp) big block and put in an LS. They also put M2 frontends under lots of cars and the dropped axle FE is junk to them-got two complete with split bones disc brake setup for free. Gonna redo an old 40 for someone and put an after market frame-will surely ck that out.

volvobrynk and anthony myrick like this.
  11. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

When I read the title of this thread, I figured it'd be shut down in minutes. Decided to open it anyway......pleasantly surprised! Lucky dog! I'm no fan of the new Chevy or Ford engines, they may make plenty of HP, but they are butt ugly!!!!! And they have those danged computers to run them, with all those wires and plugs and sensors.....Give me a simple SBC or SBF any day!

12. RmK57

RmK57

I kinda like the look of a DOHC Ford if there done right.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1466041949.292362.jpg

19Eddy30, volvobrynk, enloe and 4 others like this.
  13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

They dont have to have computers to run them, as much as this may shock and upset, they are internal combustion engines, the pistons go up and down, the cam goes round, the valves open and shut...suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

My mentors younger brother had a red on black '70 LS-6 chevelle. Damn near a new car back then...

15. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

We use to cruise around Dodge City in a 70 blue with a black top LS-6 convertible. :D Yes it was a torque monster. Leave in first...tire smoke..2nd...tire smoke...3rd...same. By 4th we were pulled over. They even took our beer and said...take that thing home and we don't want to see you out again tonight, so we got my 67 GTO and got some more beer and continued cruising.:cool: Those were the days. Lippy

enloe and czuch like this.
  16. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

LS swaps, S10 Swaps, it's all monkey see, monkey do and I mean those new LS motors.

17. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

Agreed with LS sucking the soul ou of old cars. I love my LS in my silverado though, CNCheads, baby cam, trailblazer SS intake with larger TB and a tune and it really makes the truck fun. Just blew up my transmission case! I like seeing LSSwaps into 944 Porsches etc.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1466049201.310491.jpg

18. k9racer

k9racer

You mean people want those LS engines. I have a local garage / body shop who gives me scrap metal and I have been hauling those things to the re cycle yard..

Torkwrench, enloe and Ned Ludd like this.
  19. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

Yep, they don't. And while a modern LS engine is obviously not traditional and I'm tired of seeing them, I still think this carbed '51 Chevy is pretty bad ass and a good example of what your talking about.. And no, I don't recommend street racing.

falcongeorge and G V Gordon like this.
  20. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Stop giving all the secrets away !!!!!

volvobrynk and falcongeorge like this.
  21. I know it
    the funny thing is that I have always dealt with Fords, now this Chevy stuff comes available

22. a guy has this a close to me
    he has a BBC set up as well
    just don't know enough about them to make an offer
    hilborn.jpg

volvobrynk and dogwalkin like this.
  23. k9racer

k9racer

Anthony you are in the very early hot rod area.

24. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

i can appreciate how they new motors work but they have to be the ugliest thing ever made! refuse to put one in my pro tour 68 camaro. 383 stroker with a 750 DP! i can turn a wrench on all of it. no computers

25. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

26. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A computer free carburetored LS engine would be the engine equivalent of drinking non alcoholic beer wouldn't it? I'll stick with my older engines that I can work on but the whole frigging point for the guys who run LS engines is having what the computer brings to the table.
    The trouble around this area is that if a guy pulled a 327 out of a 60 something Chevelle to put in an LS engine he would want more for the 327 sitting on the floor than he paid for the LS.

volvobrynk and anthony myrick like this.
  27. an LS without the computer makes about as much sense as a Corvette with a flat head

volvobrynk likes this.
  28. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

29. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016