Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Shortening an A rear spring

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by burninfatties, Jun 13, 2016.

1. burninfatties

burninfatties
    from Ocala, FL

I have a 29 RPU with stock A rear spring with reverse eyes. It worked great on the stock banjo but it is about three inches too long for my new Roddsville rear end. Question: To shorten rear main leaf can I cut 1.5" off the eye on each side and heat with a torch to bend around a 3/4 rod to complete the eye. Will the heat make the metal too brittle for the load? Anyone out there have experience with this? P1010949.JPG

2. Best bet is have a new main leaf made, heat + spring steel = no spring. The spring perches on a stock Model A axle are between 48.5" - 49" center to center... I don't see how that distance would have changed by swapping the center section of the axle. Posies makes narrow A springs for perches that are 46.5" - 47", and an even narrower one than that if the need arises.

need louvers ? likes this.
  3. 1935ply

1935ply
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from peyton,co
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Get a t spring or get on the "A springs" website and call Travis he can probably help you.

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's not a '29A RPU (76-A). That is a '29A CCPU (82-A).

If it has a roof, it ain't a Roadster Pick Up, aka: open cab pickup. You have a Closed Cab Pick Up.

What Pocket Nick said is exactly correct.

What leads you to believe that this spring is too long?

5. badshifter

badshifter

Is this formerly Al Capones "roadster" pickup?

I have a narrowed rear main spring built by Hollywood Spring that I never used.
    Pm if interested.

X38 likes this.
  6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks nicer than mine:
    [​IMG]

7. burninfatties

burninfatties
    from Ocala, FL

P1000344.JPG P1010954.JPG P1010954.JPG P1000344.JPG P1010954.JPG P1000344.JPG P1010954.JPG P1000344.JPG It is a election year so I should have been politically correct in saying she started life as a closed cab and now being reborn into RPU. Sorry for all the redundant pics P1010954.JPG

8. burninfatties

burninfatties
    from Ocala, FL

The spring hangers on the stock mechanical backing plates allowed for the shackles to expand further under the hanger than the later model housing with aftermarket hangers welded as wide as possible. I also removed 4 leafs to lower 1" which allows the spring to expand more. I would rather shorten the spring and not add the leafs back.

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Truckster.

You will need a new main leaf, or a whole new spring.

What did you do with the metal you cut off? Still have it?

10. There are plenty of hatchety tools in the background....:eek:

:)

11. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

That's a "truckster"

12. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

a while ago, I took the leaf next to the rear main to a spring shop in wheeling W.Va. had them roll reverse eyes to that to use as a main leaf on another axle. I believe it cost $90 bucks. never did use it, went with chassis when sold.

13. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

I suspect it appears too long because the rear is under sprung with the removal of all those leaves. Shortening the main leaf will not fix that problem. If you are hesitant to add leaves back because of a change in ride height, I'd rethink that. You need to add enough leaves back in to make it ride well, and address ride height another way, like with a Z in the frame, or a new spring that is arched in a way to make it lower but retains the number of leaves you need to make it ride well.

14. burninfatties

burninfatties
    from Ocala, FL

Thanks for the replies. I still have all the leaves. I like the idea of a spring with more arch like a T spring. I will update my changes as I learn from my mistakes!

15. Hi! I bend the leaves on this model A spring, only the main and the next three leaves! Stock and de arched spring for comparison!!!

uploadfromtaptalk1466023236078.jpeg

Enviado desde mi XT1068 mediante Tapatalk

16. Just take it to a spring shop and have them deal with it. less headaches, it gets turned cold and when its done you'll thank yourself.