Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T Curious what all you hambers do for work?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustypipes, Sep 28, 2005.

1. LBCD

LBCD

Been working since 89 in the sheet metal trade....local 105 los Angeles. Since 81 I have played drums in local bands... 88 became pro and signed a record deal and have toured half the globe....doing both some how for 25 years+ ....currently employed by LASD as a metal shop Union fabricator going on 17 years....time is flyin!

Sent from my QMV7A using H.A.M.B. mobile app

kiwijeff likes this.
  2. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

I'll spare you all of the technical names and titles and just say I've been a software engineer for almost 20 years. Out of everything I've done, that pays the most so I stuck with it. I still try to get dirty as much as I can when I'm not there though. I don't know, I just don't feel like I've actually done anything unless I get dirty doing it.

kiwijeff likes this.
  3. 10 years in logistics for The Driveshafts Shop. We build driveshafts and cv axles for just about any application and any type of racing.

kiwijeff likes this.
  4. grimmfalcon138

grimmfalcon138
    from az

I worked in a body shop growing up. Was a production welder for several years. Now I do refrigeration, the least enjoyable but the best paying.

5. shell tester shell tester.jpg
    this would be less stressful
    actually, Im a teacher

6. 35WINDOW

35WINDOW

I am the General Manager of a John Deere dealership-

7. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Hmm, glad this thread came back up. I realized I need to up date my profile. Was a Chiller mechanic for one of the manufactures. Now I'm a plant engineer for one of my previous customers.

8. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

I work at busch stadium for the st. Louis cardinals and im starting school in the fall to major in computer science.

What'cha got in there, kid?

9. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Just began pulling in my retirement from many jobs over the 45 yrs.
    Mostly industrial. List includes certified pressure vessel welder, robotic programming, and metrology and quality control.
    Now my retirement job, which I love, is a maintenance manager for this interesting place.
    https://historiczoarvillage.com/

kiwijeff likes this.
  10. thunderplex

thunderplex

Lifetime DoD technical writer/logistics engineer.

Sent from my SM-N910V using H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. 52lomofo

52lomofo

Worked in health care for 28 years on PEI then move out west working as laborer at nitrogen plant

12. dan r brooks

dan r brooks

I work in a speed shop ( Performance Unlimited ) in London ont.

kiwijeff likes this.
  13. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I trained to be a car mechanic, but I'm a timed watch in a digital age.
    But I got the mechanical-"wizardry" down to an art, and I knew more old-school stuff then computer stuff.
    So I took a job as a fitter, and re-trained to that, became a certified welder. Did that for some time, had a second job as a substitute mediablaster at the factory where I was a welder. Bought a small house.
    When my wife got pregnant the factory closed, I took a job at a tire shop.
    The went to a drive a tow truck.
    Couldn't make any money doing that, worked crazy hours and struggled to put food on the table for wife and daughter.
    Quit it, went back to being a welder again. Took a job at a truck paint shop, as mediablaster, taking truck apart and repairing old junk before paint.
    Got stress and got released of my contract. Took a job as welder of items for pipeline items and large ball valves. Got retrained to weld with robots.
    Wife got pregnant again and factory closed down, again. Shit

Got a job as a CWI, and got a load of respect from from the workers, and a shit load of respect from people above and my colleagues really went out of there where to take a dump on my workload and push more work on to me and my workstation. Quit two months and took a job as a fitter/welder/operator of a welding robot. At a firm where we do a multitude of different items, but 90% of all tools and
    Machinery are adaptable for my hot rod work and and we can use the shop free of charge after hours

So one could say I'm training to be a Hot Rodder

kiwijeff and i.rant like this.
  14. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Started out in body shops, moved to government and law enforcement and then into investigations but kept my finger on the pulse with a few car projects that have since been moved on. Have a driver and another project but decided to move on career wise and into workplace injury and litigation where I am today. Ironically I recently damaged my shoulder at work and then had to undergo a reconstruction that sidelined my car ambitions to a large degree. Planning to retire in a few years, downsize the house and hopefully continue to play with cars to a lesser degree.

kiwijeff and volvobrynk like this.
  15. I work in the art department on films and tv commercials fabricating props and scenery, working on the sets during the shoot. Since that's sporadic work, I also have my own commercial woodshop where I build furniture and cabinets for the fine gentry of Boston. [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  16. trollst

trollst

Been retarded for six years, before that, equipment operator most of my life, the last twenty years at the city of Vancouver here in beautiful british Columbia. Moved six years ago to bumfuck country life here in the woods, best thing I ever did. Life is good.

35PU likes this.
  17. jhexide

jhexide
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

im a transportation engineer,(aka) Truckdriver for 40 + years, im kinda semi-retired,i haul equiptment for rock and roll bands on tour

Moondog13 likes this.
  18. donno

donno

I'm retired now after over 53 years as an aircraft mechanic, Military and Civilian A&P.

kiwijeff likes this.
  19. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Helping make dreams come true

Jim

kiwijeff, falcongeorge and wraymen like this.
  20. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

Bikini trimmer for College Cheerleading Squad

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
    49ratfink likes this.
  21. Roof top TV antenna and pay phone booth installer. When I have the time I sell Polaroid cameras and pagers on the side.

22. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Pimp.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
    kiwijeff and volvobrynk like this.
  23. bchctybob

bchctybob

12 years in the header business (EEE, Cyclone, Hedman). 29 years as a spacecraft mechanical assembly and test engineer at TRW/Northrop while running my neighborhood header & chassis shop (Beach City Performance) at night from '93 to '07. Retired from everything in '09 and moved outa L.A. to NorCal cattle country.

volvobrynk likes this.
  24. I was in IT for 30 years, then worked at William and Mary doing fiscal work for the Anthropology Dept for almost 8 years, now retired and playing with cars full time for almost 3 years. I am living the dream my wife says and I guess I am. No complaints at all ....

DBruce likes this.
  25. Trained as an auto mechanic then worked in a Dodge dealership for awhile. Spent 33 years as a millwright/maintenance planner/supervisor at an aluminum plant. The last 13 years have been working as a aircraft mechanic on warbirds... maybe I'll get to retire... someday.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    kiwijeff likes this.
  26. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I tried being a tattoo artist, that came to an abrupt end.

tatoo.jpg

j-jock, mgtstumpy, Moondog13 and 11 others like this.
  27. Ray C's son

Ray C's son

Drywalled houses in the late 70's early 80's from age 18 to 24, the last 4 years on my own. Used to carry thousands of dollars around with me in case ran into anything cool to buy. Then became a plastic injection mold maker which lead to foreman then general foreman then plant manager. Downsized out of that gig, I went on to do niche machine work and building machines. That company crashed and burnt after 9-11 so I went on to design production machining/assembly processes and traveling the world getting the processes started for the company I still work for. The company was sold by the entrepreneur who started it to a corporation and is now in chapter 11. I've discovered I'm far too blunt for the corporate world and don't do well in it. Too young and broke to retire, so I guess I'll just have to see what happens. Wish I had that pocketful of cash today. All in all I think I've been pretty lucky because I really enjoyed everything I've done in my working life and have learned and mastered lots of skills.

Kevin

28. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I work at the zoo circumcising the elephants. the pay is not good but the tips are big.

j-jock, kiwijeff, Drunk Man and 5 others like this.
  29. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I changed jobs. I am now the supervising engineer in a rapid prototyping laboratory for the worlds largest manufacturer of computer networking hardware, for now. I am an engineer wrangler. It is my job to keep them on the ranch.

I am trying to do a lateral into the company's "Car of Tomorrow" division.

volvobrynk likes this.
  30. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I'm the janitor at the local 775 chapter of the knights of the mystic sea lodge. Lippy

charleyw likes this.