Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Trying to un-ugly a 1946 Ford coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris, May 23, 2016.

1. Geeez Chris! You are absolutely killing me. That 46' is going to be a real beauty. Nice vision.

2. PRIMER STUDIO

PRIMER STUDIO
    from Bozeman,MT

Damn Chris, that looks fantastic.

3. Wheel in, still need to put that chrome dash in it.

image.jpeg

4. Thanks...I miss that 46....but I have another 40 now.

5. I buffed about half the roof last night. I'm kind of scared to try and do the whole car, but Dusty is dealing with a death in his family, so understandably he wont be available for a while. We'll see how impatient I get...

image.jpeg

509garyd likes this.
  6. SERPENT

SERPENT

I have a 47 coupe and am having trouble with steering box .its getting rebuil6at a local shop and we are having problems finding parts .would you consider selling your spare or info on parts? Ive tried reds abd borgenson they say dont have..thx

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. That is a gorgeous car.......................

8. What parts do you need?

9. Dusty mad it over tonight. Almost done with rubbing compound. Then onto polish. Also Dug the dash out.it will get the 46 gauges installed

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

10. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

"Un-Ugly" .... lol It's coming along great Chris! As usual it will look way cool after it get's "Swensoned" .......

11. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Wow. Its really neat the little tricks you're using here and there on the car. The paint is looking great! Im not usually a fan of the later 40s fords but this one sure looks nice!

What'cha got in there, kid?

T-roaster likes this.
  12. bobo1

bobo1
    from France

very nice Chris I love 46's coupe ;)

13. I had a different name for this thread but a member complained about it so I changed it. Hope all is with you and Nancy, Jack!

14. Chris, that looks amazing - I'm especially fond of the paint refurb as I am not a fan of flat paint at all (or primer for that matter). Your changes have all had a huge impact on the look and perceived quality of the build - it may have originally been built to a high standard but didn't appear that way until you got your hands on it. Great job!

Oh, and I love '41-'48's - Tom Shall's orange toner '46 with original 16x10 ETIIIs tucked up under the fenders is one of my all-time favorite hot rods! I'd love to do a similar look on a '42 (my fave of these fatties).

Steve

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
    509garyd likes this.

15. Was that the "fat jack" car? I'd love to get a set of 15" 5 spokes I could swap on and off of this and my roadster. 15x6 and 15x4.

16. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Great progress Chris. Hope to see the car in person soon...

17. SERPENT

SERPENT

I believe worm gear . Rebuild place says bushing was welded inside of box ..and is pitted from having water in it .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using H.A.M.B. mobile app

kustomkatt likes this.
  18. You should be able to get a worm gear, bearings and races from any ford supplier who carries that kind of stuff. Sector may be the only thing not available

19. No - similar look but it's purely a street car and seriously cool. Here's a scan from American Rodder.
    Tom Shall 46.jpg
    Steve

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  20. Bader2

Bader2

You can get new rolling sector gear,pin combo for f1 box,its likely the same.

21. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You have definitely UN-UNGLIED your coupe. Love your white wheel. All it needs is the '46 red-grey center piece on the horn ring. I run a '46 in my Deuce roadster. EVERYONE comments about it. Keep up the great work.

22. Dusty came over this morning and we finished buffing with compound and then he polished it. It needs a few little touch ups and some bolt on parts repainted, but it's far enough along that trim can start going back on. To say I'm stoked with the results is an understatement. Stay tuned for more un-uglying

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

23. SERPENT

SERPENT

24. Nice, Chris....love the chromed dash.

25. Chrome dash is installed

image.jpeg

26. Gizzy

Gizzy
    from N.W,Ohio

Nice job...two thumbs up!

27. You caught the look we had in the 50's , looks great !

509garyd likes this.
  28. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Man I can't believe somebody put flat paint over that nice body! Looks great! Lippy

29. chevydave1965

chevydave1965
    from Iowa

That's a SHARP 46. Love the chrome dash !

30. bchctybob

bchctybob

Fabulous job of saving it! Man, it's just about perfect now.
    I bought a car a while back that's painted "Hot Rod Black" (flat) now I'm gonna have to find a spot on it somewhere to experiment with. I hope it buffs out like yours did!

Krash Vegas and 509garyd like this.