Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Bubba's hot rod shop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tom rager, Jun 10, 2016.

1. tom rager

tom rager
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ordered a distributor a month ago never got it,he accepted my pay pal,just keep getting excuses,anyone else have any problems with him?

2. flathead4d

flathead4d

Always had good experiences with Bubba and everyone raves about the quality of his work. Did you call and talk to him personally? If so, what did he say? I know he is quite busy

3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Do a search. It would seem to me that his turn around is just slow because he is legitimately busy. If you order something that's not on his list of more or less production rebuilds it will take even longer. I'm sure he'll make good on it it just isn't going to be there overnight like speedway.

shawnsauto1 likes this.
  4. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

It can take awhile. Depends on what you want. I have been happy several times allowing fr the wait.

5. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

Every now and again a thread comes up about how someone thinks they got taken by him because they had to wait for their order. Fear not my fellow HAMBer, to my knowledge things always work out. From what I understand he's got a small shop with tons of work. He takes the time to do it right, so sometimes you have to wait for your turn on the list. Be patient, the sun will rise tomorrow and you'll get your part when it's ready.

Sent from my SM-G920V using H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

What was the distributor for? He clearly states Ford flathead stuff goes to the head of the line from what I see, his speciality. So if you want OHV stuff, it may take a while.

7. From what I've ever seen here, this guy is top notch. Never had a personal experience though.
    But, it's these days of, "It'll ship today, you'll have it tomorrow" mega suppliers. Sometimes we gotta learn to slow down and wait for good 'ol craftsmanship. Hope you're pleased when your parts show up.

8. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

You need not worry. Got a flathead unit from him some time ago and it works flawlessly. You'll soon forget the time it took to get a good product. Junk is overnight, quality takes a little longer.

9. Jim is a straight up guy.
    When your dealing with an old car it sometimes takes longer to get that quality product.
    He just doesn't yank it off a shelf and ship it. He makes sure its right before it goes.
    And if their is an issue, he will address it and make it right.

10. 5window

5window

All well and good. But, honestly, all this could have been avoided by a little COMMUNICATION! Too many of these threads-great work, stand up guy, really busy, won't tell me up front that it will take a while.

If you know it';s going to take X amount of time, be honest at least to mention it. Otherwise, you're just sitting on my money without delivering what I paid for. Isn't that theft?

X38, blowby and thirtytwo like this.
  11. Bader2

Bader2

Had two mallory distributors converted by jim. Bought them from him,pertronics instead of points,took seven months to recieve them! Was pissed off then,but i got over it. They look and work flawless. Youll get yours,might take time. Put in a spare and wait for delivery of the new one.

12. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I sent him a Mallory SBC unit to be converted to an 8BA in April of 2014. After many back and forths and promises of "next month" and then "next week", I gave up on him. I then sent one to "CharlieNY" in September of 2015. I got it back in less than 6 weeks, and he did a great job. In February of this year, I got an email out of the blue from "Bubba" saying my distributor is done. I had already had the "CharlieNY" unit for 4 months, so it was kind of an awkward moment. We came to an mutually satisfactory agreement in the end where he kept the unit for resale (SBC Mallory cores are real cheap these days).

So the guys here are right : He's slow and inconsistent, but he does get the job done. A couple of other things to be aware of : As I understand it, he likes to build distributors with mechanical advance only. For a car used on the street, I feel a combination of mechanical and vacuum is better. "CharlieNY" converted a vacuum SBC Mallory for me, which I prefer. Also "CharlieNY" adds a plate to the Mallory, which allows the use of a regular Ford distributor hold down. I may be wrong, but the last I heard, "Bubba" requires drilling and tapping the timing cover to use a set screw to hold the distributor.

"You pays 'yer money and you make 'yer choices".

504640 likes this.
  13. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

"Ya pays yer money and take yer chances"; I think that's how it goes.

14. spinout

spinout
    from Dallas, TX

Bubba is great! That's why he is super busy.

15. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

As others have said, be prepared for a long, long wait and lots of "it'll ship next week" promises. Also, only send 1 distributor at a time. That way if things go wrong, you're only out 1 instead of multiples.

16. Nope never had a problem with him. If it is a one off part and not an in stock part ( like a coil for instance) it may take a day or two.

17. I have a couple of distributors at his shop now. I knew it would take a little time, but some of these times I am reading about here are a bit alarming. One of the distributors I have the time to wait for, but the other is for a car that is waiting on that part to move. I don't have a spare to rely on and I don't want to fork out the funds for a spare as I won't need the one he has. I'm Not angry. Like stated above. Better communication on turn around times would tamp down negative reports/reviews.

18. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

He doesn't do this full time anymore. So yes, it takes a bit of time. I have purchased about a dozen from him they have all been Awesome. I know it sucks to wait though.

19. tom rager

tom rager
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Was told when I ordered that it would in a couple of days.That was a month ago and 3-4 e-mails that keep saying next week,next week ect. It is his Chevy conversion for a flathead ford

20. Sorry to hear he is a smidge late with yer' goods, got mine on time.
    Bubba is awesome and makes damn good "Speedster Sauce" too!

21. I just emailed him last week and he told me turn around was terrible. I found a local guy instead. At least I can vist my Mallory if it takes too long.

22. 42merc

42merc

Two years ago I sent my flathead 'crab' style distributor to him for timing only, (I installed the points & other parts) was supposed to be a same day turn-around. Four weeks & many phone calls later it finally showed up.
    Runs OK. But there is nothing so mysterious about a flathead distributor that someone else can't do in a more timely manner.

23. tom rager

tom rager
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I understand that the man is busy. What I don't understand is why he keeps promising everyone a quick turnaround when he knows he can not provide it. Why not be honest and say it is going to be a a long wait. I would respect that,plain and simple,be honest on the turnaround time and not mislead people into thinking it is going to be quick.

falcongeorge, 5window and blowby like this.
  24. 5window

5window

Think you should re-read your signature line.

25. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

I sent in a crab had it back in about 2 weeks. That was back in March.

26. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

And it was beautiful !

27. sololobo

sololobo

can't be in a hurry if ya want the best

28. 5window

5window

Perhaps not. But, you could reasonably expect communication and honesty on the real amount of time the project will take. That's not only good business, that's fair play. Wouldn't you want the same courtesy if you were the customer? If not, there are plenty of threads about "good guys" who will take your money and leave you hanging..

504640 and falcongeorge like this.
  29. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

so what's the story, Jim?

30. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Wow thanks for the support posts!
    For the others , most jobs I can get done pretty quick , special jobs that I have to get the core, tear down and send out to be machined take a little longer...
    Right now I just returned from a couple large swap meets and are way behind, especially on the chev conversions with electronic modules. Just received my modules week before last.
    All orders go into a computer when received and I work from that list. Calling me every other day doesn't help at all as I try not to spend my day on the phone and some days don't answer the phone ar all just to get stuff shipped. I get emails to the tune of 130 or so each day with many wanting help or assistance , I try to help everyone.
    I guess the answer is if it's been too long let me know and I will gladly return or cancel your order as well as any money's paid. Other wise hang in there and I will get it done, the Indy 500 is over and I have a few more minutes each week..
    Very sorry to have this happen.

falcongeorge, patmanta, pat59 and 2 others like this.