Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs We had a cruise and a train showed up....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lebowski, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

This happens several times a day because the CSX tracks run right through downtown LaGrange, KY on the way from Louisville to Cincinnati. The local car club is called the Quads and they have a free cruise on the fourth Saturday of every month from 5-9 PM so if you're in the area stop by and check it out. When the weather is nice and there's no chance of rain well over 100 cars show up....

IMG_0281.jpg

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  2. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

It would only let me add one pic so here's #2.... IMG_0289.jpg

3. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Love that Edsel!

4. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

That's my '60 Edsel in the foreground....

IMG_0308.jpg

FRANK GRELLE likes this.

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

did the train power park, or just cruise through?

6. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Nice looking car! Growing up we had a '60 Ford wagon and I like the front on your car much better and can't believe how opposite the taillights are from the Ford version.

Pete

7. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

It was just passing through on the way to Cincinnati and points east. The speed limit through town for it is 10 mph so if it's a mile long it causes a lot of traffic congestion....

8. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

Thanks. A lot of people have told me that they like the looks of the '60 a lot better than the '58 or '59. It was built in Louisville and went down the same assembly line as the Fords....

9. Leb: I just downloaded the show schedule (cruisees) from Wilder than Most's web site. Nice place to hang out. Tim

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

Check it out on the 25th if you get a chance. There's several car shows in the Louisville area this weekend. Are you going to any of them?

11. stimpy

stimpy

need to call CSX and tell them to get with it as they have some 50's vintage engines ...

12. Careful where you park!:eek:

13. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not to be an ass or anything but who the hell builds a downtown (even a 100 years ago) with a train track running down main street!:p I thought you were in San Francisco in that first shot...LOL....very nice Edsel!

Stu D Baker likes this.
  14. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

It was like that when I moved here from San Diego in 1998. It draws tourists from all over the world I guess. I was at that cruise for 2 1/2 hours and 3 trains came by.

The previous owner of the Edsel is from Linn, MO. Is that anywhere near you?

15. I'll make Mike Linnigs thursday eve but have prior commitments for the weekend.

16. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

the train has the right of way

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  17. Lostinwisc

Lostinwisc

Ya its bigger !!!

18. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Linn is up near Jefferson City (State Capital). About 130 miles away or so.... not crazy far.

19. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Yeah, I agree! That looks like it could be very dangerous, especially if there were any young kids around! Looks like the RR would build a new track somewhere outside of town.

Oh yeah, I like your Edsel, too!

20. i think that is cool!
    the trick to not getting hit by the train is to not stand on the tracks when the train is coming.:rolleyes:

Hnstray, lothiandon1940 and Spoggie like this.
  21. If you want to see towns split down the middle by the railroad, follow the Norfolk Southern (old Southern Railway Birmingham division) line from Atlanta to Birmingham. Douglasville, Villa Rica, Temple are the ones that immediately come to mind. Familiar with Lagrange KY. My wife and I were members of Long Run Baptist Church at Anchorage KY while I was in seminary in Louisville. We had several families in the church who lived in Lagrange.

22. rtp

rtp

Worked on a Hallmark movie there last july- august . didn't see the cars but that was the time of the street rod nationals in Louisville .Was in Lagrange a lot delt with the train a lot. Kinda of cool at night. Hoping to come back some time .

23. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Before there were trucks, freight was moved by trains, and then by horse/donkey cart, or by hand. It made sense to have the trains close to the businesses.

Who exactly would pay the tens-of-millions of dollars to buy all of the property to put the new railroad bed in? What would happen if a bunch of people refused to sell?

24. Its allright, we are talking rail, they are not that reliable anyway;) We have to make up for their slack with our trucks all the time!

25. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I a retired from former Southern Pacific R.R. Co. It and the former Missouri Paacific were both taken over by Union Pacific in the '90s here in San Antonio. That track running down thee middle of the street probably was instrumental in building that town along with thousands of other towns. That particular spot was most likely the flattest ground in that area, thereby easy and cheap to build track. That setup in La Grange, KY can be very dangerous during car show time if bands which hold lumber on flatcars break and start swinging to the side. They can reach several feet on either side and are sharp as razors, so be careful if you see sparks flying alongside a railroad car. I am retired after 40 years.

26. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We have the same deal South of the Port of Oakland, in Jack London Square.

27. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Answer; If the government marked it as a revitalization project, they'd acquire the land via eminent domain and the tax payers would pay for the property.

I'm familiar with the street sharing in Oakland. Hadn't seen the LeGrange one. What a cool bonus to an old town car show.

28. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

The engineers don't wave from the trains anymore. Not like they did back in 1954.

Spoggie likes this.
  29. No more cabooses either.

30. stimpy

stimpy

were my grandparents grew up in In Indiana the Monon used to run right down the middle of the street as the station was built there when the town started and traffic flowed on the sides of the tracks , lafayette indiana they used to street run till they bypassed the down town district 10-15 years ago

delray57 likes this.