Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 29 model A build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by eddie scorpion29, Jun 4, 2016.

1. Hey my name is anthony I'm 17 and I'm starting a traditional 1929 model A hopped up build and I am currently trying to knock out the pins that hold on the radius arms on a 35 ford front axle I was able to get one out by hitting it out the other just won't budge any advice on how I can do this thanks. [​IMG]

Sent from my LG-D850 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

Attached Files:

2. mike bowling

mike bowling

Heat the crap out of it, soak in penetrating oil, repeat process.

Old rust is stronger than hell, especially when you're trying to get something like this ( close tolerance) apart. You're young- take your time and it'll give up sooner or later!

eddie scorpion29 likes this.
  3. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

4. Welcome to the HAMB.

5. missysdad1

missysdad1

Keep in mind that the hotter the metal the softer it is. Resist the temptation to beat on the parts until they have thoroughly cooled or you will ruin them. Ask me how I know this...

In this case Vern heated only the axle, not the perch, so the temperature differential loosened the rust bond allowing the perch to be driven out without damage.

After doing this a few hundred times you'll get the hang of it. Good luck!

6. Rustridden31

Rustridden31
    from Denver, CO

All I had was a propane torch so I don't think I got it hot enough. I ended up drilling all the way through them with progressively larger bits. Then pounded them out with a long bolt. Luckily I drilled straight but if you get cockeyed you might drill into the axle.

7. TBone69

TBone69
    from NJ

I used a 20 ton press i picked up at Harbor Freight to get mine out.

You'll find many uses for it so it's money well spent.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. Hot Rod 50

Hot Rod 50

I just did this on my axle. Soak all contact points with PB BLASTER. Let sit a day. If your wanting to re-use the perch make sure to put a nut back on the threads. The nut will be useless after but no biggie. Heat the crap out of the axle and the perch where it contacts the wishbone. I used a 5 pound sledge to get it coming. Or a dead blow might get it.

9. 2 more doors

2 more doors

What's up Anthony welcome to the HAMB! I'm doing a 29 myself so keep us posted on how it's going and what works best for you. Knowledge is power!
    We like lots of pictures. 1465226193482.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

I use a torch and heat the axle up around the perch pin with the ax upside down when I get it hot I hold a candle on it and let it melt down in then I smack the hell out of it. Usually works great. Using a air chisel with a pointed tip helps too.

11. Hey 2 more doors killer rod will post some photos soon

Sent from my LG-D850 using H.A.M.B. mobile app