Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods My 32 roadster project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hutch built, May 15, 2016.

1. hasty

hasty

Stunning workmanship

2. AmishMike

AmishMike

I do remember removing that early metal shielding to get at the plugs - then finding the radio was messed up. Have not seen in a long time & never on open engine. Thanks for reply.

3. Your work is absolutely amazing and I am deeply impressed by the level of workmanship. With your roadster project you are teaching more than any metalworking course or how-to-video I watched on the web.

May I ask what your background is? Thanks, Ralf

4. Hutch built

Hutch built

I've worked for the local utility company for about 34 years now and when I was in my early 20's I was at one of the power plants. While there I was amazed at the skills of the machinist and welders and learned all I could from them. After that I just started buying equipment and started teaching myself how to use them.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using H.A.M.B. mobile app

bct, Baron, Bulletnose26 and 2 others like this.
  5. Thanks John. Nothing beats experience ;) Probably the best advice to watch, listen and practise, practise, practise, ...

6. Hutch built

Hutch built

I fabricated the exhaust while the floor was was removed so I could work from above. I used 2.5 tubing U bends, chambered mufflers, and some flanges made on the lathe. In the rear section I went up and over the rear spring cross member because the trunk flood was going to be raised so it would be flat. Then I made a rear pan that the exhust tips come through and had it louvered.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. Hutch built

Hutch built

Here's a quick overview of the floor and firewall installation. First I made some panels to raise the trunk floor so it would be flat. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] Made a poster board pattern and then bent up and bead rolled the trunk floor and welded it in place. The rest of the pictures are of the main floor, Trans tunnel, and firewall. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. bengeltiger

bengeltiger

Very nice work. People keep mentioning "Riddler" on your thread for a reason.

9. Perfect. This project would make an excellent How-To-Build-A-Hot-Rod book showing outstanding workmanship and lots of photos that tell more than endless pages of text. Respect

10. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Dude. This is some Doane Spencer level work and execution. Very impressed...will keep this thread and your pics for future inspiration...

11. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

The work is very impressive, but the presentation photos are right up there with the best. Nice work on both issues.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Lynn, you nailed it, those photos are what keep us coming back, this build is just so well executed and tasteful.
    Kudos Hutch

Baron likes this.
  13. AmishMike

AmishMike

Hoping to see your car at York but did not make it today with all the rain - maybe Saturday but have to reschedule things. Wondering why the rear sway bar - have not seen that done before. I know what it is for but does a light rod need one? You going to auto-cross? Have you driven with & without for comparison??? that would tell the tale. tks - great build & pics.

14. Hutch built

Hutch built

I'm at York this weekend but the roadster isn't, still building it, maybe next year. The sway bar is a 40 front sway bar off a truck. I had a rear sway bar on my coupe and it really helps with keeping the body roll to minimum which is good if the tires are close to the body.

kidcampbell71 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  15. spags

spags

I can't get over the craftsmanship in this build! Love following your build

16. Hutch built

Hutch built

Here's some shots of the engine mount going together. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

17. Shit batman....This is out of this world.....Sure am glade I never seen this when I was building my 3 window as I would have pitched everything and started over........Thought and quality of work is above anything I could have dreamed of......I see nothing I don't like.....I am with everyone as you need to put this build out there for everyone to enjoy....
    3 window Larry where in the hell are you at on this one?????

18. hammered30

hammered30
    from west aus

Man there's some sweet work happening here. Thaks for posting
    cheers Paul

19. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

20. Amazing work. I like the idea of repeating the three-hole-design here and there. Though I am still impressed by every new photo.

21. Hutch built

Hutch built

Not sure what happened here but after fitting the windshield post to the body, which requires shaping the brass stanchions, the bottom of the windshield overlapped the post. To correct this I removed the glass from the frame and cut about a quarter inch out of the lower part and welded back together and then had the glass sanded on the sides to fit. In the end it all looked great. In no way am I dissing the Rodwear set up, it's a nice piece, it could have been I fitted it wrong when shaping the lower stanchions. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

22. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I've been here all along Dennis...blown away like everyone else

23. GREAT! As I was starting to worry about ya........

3wLarry likes this.
  24. Hutch built

Hutch built

This series of shots show how the hood was fitted. I was lucky that I only had to remove material where it was overhanging and not add any. I would sand the edge of the hood where it was folded over and peel off the inner strip the sand/file the edge for a good fit then weld the inner strip back on and sand the weld smooth. The corner had to be removed and a small section removed then reattached to keep the revel on the corner.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

25. You missed your calling. You should have been a surgeon.:)

kidcampbell71 and Cyclone_racer like this.
  26. Ol Deuce

Ol Deuce
    from Mt. U.S.A.

WoW What a Great Build Top Notch Job!!! ;) Ol Deuce

27. Pat

Pat
    from Felton Ca.

Beautiful craftsmanship!! And you could eat off the shop floor!!

tfeverfred likes this.
  28. Fantastic job, all wrapped up in the perfect package!!:cool::cool::cool: Now I think I'll go to the shop and crush my project.

lothiandon1940 and DeLuxe 32 like this.
  29. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Oh......My.........Gawd........

Bookmarked

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  30. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I want to BE the shop floor.