Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Border Bandits Gas class builds to the Southeast Gassers rules.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by II FUNNY, Nov 5, 2014.

1. This car will be worth the wait !!!

beebee78 and strokedstang331 like this.
  2. Got some good news today. My motor will be back home monday night its ready to be dynoed Monday morning. And i also just bought a new hauler for the skairlane. It's a 1970 ford ramp truck. Look for it to be pulling the skairlane in the 2017 season. It had to be an old fuel teams or something it has a few fuel tanks and in the compartments on the side it has valves to open to get fuel and one is labeled Nitro and the other is Alky. Can't wait to start on this one :D

Attached Files:

Pufff, OahuEli, Mtn Goat and 12 others like this.
  3. i think there is a thread dedicated to rollback or old car haulers. very cool find. a guy recently told me about mr.norms old hauler thats for sale. i was sent pics of the big dodge. it could happen.

loudbang likes this.
  4. Wow that is too cool! How did you find that?

5. A guy we do work for at the shop stopped yesterday and asked if I had seen it up for auction at the local auction place on line auction only. So yesterday we looked it up and went at lunch time and checked it out and determined i had to have it because it was to cool to pass up. the auction was up last night and I won it. They used the same cab from 67 to 72 so I'm going to change the grille to the early grill so it's 100% correct for a 1967 hauler. Probably have it hauled to my shop today I'll get more pics later

OahuEli, Mtn Goat, 3dnsouth and 6 others like this.
  6. 91whitestang

91whitestang
    from Wisconsin

Got some more jobs done, mid plates made and mounted, cut and drilled ladder bar brackets for the front and tached them on. Next will be to start making the laddar bars and to get those mounted along with the shocks and springs. 1462055580003.jpg 1462055592818.jpg 1462055613917.jpg 1462055637710.jpg

1931 ford model a coupe

Attached Files:

OahuEli, Chucky, beebee78 and 3 others like this.
  7. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Just letting you know that if you plan to use the Ram Phase 2 gasser clutch you will need about 1/4 extra space if using a stock depth bell housing. The way we get it is to use a 1/4" aluminum mid mount between the bell housing and block. Hightower makes a pilot bushing that is 1/4 longer so the input shaft won't know. Just letting you know now while it would be easy to change. Some if the other clutches don't need the space.

8. 91whitestang

91whitestang
    from Wisconsin

Thank you quain i appreicate the advice.

1931 ford model a coupe

9. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Your welcome, I have had a lot of people wanting to run this clutch then finding out there is not room.

loudbang and 91whitestang like this.
  10. mjlangley

mjlangley
    from SE MI

Car is turning out great!

11. loudbang

loudbang

If you need some inspiration or ideas here are some sites just for them that I found when posting a bunch of things.

http://public.fotki.com/VincePutt/semi_truck_shows_/ford-race-car-haulers/

http://public.fotki.com/VincePutt/semi_truck_shows_/chevy-race-car-haulers/

http://public.fotki.com/VincePutt/semi_truck_shows_/dodge-race-car-haulers/

racer-x and saltflats like this.
  12. Thanks for posting them pics. I have been doing some research on the truck and it turns out the truck I have was the blue max mustang funny car hauler. I have talked to several people that know the truck and everyone's story lines up and we have looked up several pictures of it and it's definitely the truck from what we can tell in pics. I am working on getting pics of it from the guy that's name is painted on the side of it now.

13. We are pretty sure this is the truck in these pics. The square part over the cab most other trucks done have and also the one with them fueling the car up from the back of the truck the pump and stuff are still in that compartment. Also the big doors on the front of the bed most other trucks we have found have one large door on each side where this one has 2 seperate doors like my truck.

Attached Files:

Pufff, OahuEli, Mtn Goat and 10 others like this.
  14. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Well look at what you are going to have to build now.

beebee78 likes this.
  15. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

This is so cool, the blue max raced at Spartanburg dragway around the real early 70s when I was just a kid and I'll bet that is the truck that they was using at that time. Harry Shummit died just about a year or so ago I'll bet he would have loved to have seen the truck. Richard Tharp (crazy man) drove the car for a while and he is still living. I've got to touch that truck and at least ride in it when you get it ready. Great memories.

16. I think we should be able to arrange that next year hopefully.

Nitrofreak and Quain Stott like this.
  17. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Looks like your going to have to repaint the car blue and white!! The BLUE MAX the early years lol. Nice truck . Larry

18. I'll just paint this one blue and white I'm dragging it home tomorrow :D

Attached Files:

Pufff, OahuEli, Mtn Goat and 4 others like this.
  19. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Another one! I remember being young and full of ambition once. Another cool find. Have fun and I will see you at Melt Down. Larry

20. No to much to update on the Skairlane. We had the motor on the dyno a week ago the first pull made 691 hp @ 6000rpm and the second pull we took it up a little higher and it made 704 hp things were looking good we were expecting to see mid 700s at the least. then we did a jet change and lost 20hp then we switched it back and lost even more. We know it wasnt a lean issue because we had o2 sensors in all 8 header tubes. We pulled the valve covers off and cut open the oil filter and found nothing wrong with it. After we made a few more pulls and continued to loose power we called It quits and had to pull the motor back apart to find the problem. It's not looking like I will make my first few races I had planned but I am planning on making the meltdown for sure. It really sucks but we are gonna make sure everything is perfect on it before it goes back on the dyno. So while they are fixing that I'll keep plugging away on the car. I bought a brand new grille and headlights for it got them put on this week. I also have all the new drag brakes on front and rear. This week I'll be working on running the brake lines and finishing the dash up.

Attached Files:

Pufff, blue57ford, 3dnsouth and 14 others like this.
  21. malibumonte78

malibumonte78

The car is beautiful! Can't wait to look at it in person at the Meltdown.

loudbang and beebee78 like this.
  22. looking great. it sucks to have a set back. better to find out now before serious damage happens to that expensive engine. stay at it.

OahuEli likes this.
  23. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Always better to find problems in the shop and not at the eighth mile mark! How are the other Bandits cars coming? Larry

24. sonic03bluegt

sonic03bluegt
    from sc

Any updates on the engine?

Dog_Patch likes this.
  25. CP is making new pistons. They are on a rush turn around and should be done next week. Had a few different issues going on.We think the rings and the hone were the main issue for power loss and blow by because it polished the hone in a few cylinders. That's the only update I have. I am hoping to have the motor back in a few weeks keeping my fingers crossed.

26. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Got my fingers crossed too! Really looking forward to seeing the car and meeting you at Melt down! Putting the final prep on a 57 ranch wagon this week. It is also going red and white . So I am reminded of yours every time I walk in the booth lol! Good luck . Larry

Uncledirty616 likes this.
  27. 91whitestang

91whitestang
    from Wisconsin

Got the ladder bars built not fully welded yet but there together and on the car 1465161365247.jpg 1465161370229.jpg

1931 ford model a coupe

28. Uncledirty616

Uncledirty616

29. Yes he did that because the frame kicks in as it goes to the front and if he put a bend in the top bar and the ajuster up there it would have hit the frame there isn't enough room.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

beebee78 and Uncledirty616 like this.
  30. 1465770032449.jpg 1465770037950.jpg 1465770049951.jpg 1465770064956.jpg 1465770081764.jpg
    Got the door windows in today. Made them go up and down with a strap with a snap on it. Also made inside door handles pistons came in Tuesday and the motor is going back together now hoping to have it back in a week got my fingers crossed

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

Attached Files:

Pufff, deto, beebee78 and 10 others like this.