Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Plymouth coupe value

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scotts52, May 30, 2016.

1. scotts52

scotts52

It's rough but I'm a sucker for lost causes. I'm ponying up and making the deal. I'm overpaying but I don't care. I want this. I pay more in the long run but I work hard for all I have and have much more than someone of my stature should have. I will make something out of this someday. I'm not afraid of hard work. FWIW, I know where a stripped shell is sitting along a river bank. Part of a string of cars used to control erosion. With my luck I'll probably see another one shortly that is in better condition at a good price. Oh well. I may have to buy it too. lol

phantompjcoupe likes this.
  2. phantompjcoupe

phantompjcoupe
    from chicago

First off, congrats on the buy!
    As I am also a 35 Plymouth PJ owner, I thought I'd offer a little help for you with the car. Mine was actually my first car, and my first rod, so I know how much of a struggle it will be to source good info and parts for the car.
    Your first stop should be online to www.1935plymouth.com Not only does it have a wealth of information on there about our cars, but theres also links on there that will be helpful as well.

The site is run by a guy named Wayne, AKA The Plymouth Doctor. His specialty is restoring 35 Plymouths. Wayne makes one off parts for the cars, such as floors, rockers, tail pans... and probably more. His work is honestly top notch... but be forewarned that he may not take kindly to you building a hotrod. Theres a story about that with me and him, but I won't side track right now with that!
    The site was last updated in 2012, so hopefully the links and phone numbers still work.

Another site is www.srpmstreetrods.com
    They have tons of stuff on there for you to check out. I got my 36 trunk lid from them(read below), and they have a bunch of patch panels for 35/36 Plymouths as well(they look like Waynes' parts, if I'm honest).
    And that goes for you other Plymouth owners as well! They list a metric crap ton of years, and parts available! They also used to build complete 35/36 Mopar chassis also. It's still listed on their site, but says to call them.

In addition, I may have some parts that would be of use for you, but getting them to you might be an issue.
    I wanted to build a phantom out of my car, so I cut the back of the car apart and fitted a 36 Plymouth trunk lid to it. My old 35 trunk lid is super solid and is sitting around. I wanted a different look for the car, so I fabbed up some rear fenders that were to my liking, so I also have a set of really nice rear fenders with some 39 Ford teardrop t-lights in them. I have a radiator(with mounting brackets) for the car that my dads friend re-cored so it would cool a SBC with no issues. I have the front axle, which we converted to disc brakes with a kit from PLY-DO(a place that I think shuttered a while back). I think I have some miscellaneous items also.

In addition. 35/36 Ford lower quarter patch panels are a really close fit to our cars. I saw many 35/36 Mopars with them installed, so I put them on mine. EMS makes beautiful panels. They also make lower B pillar braces that don't require much fab to install.

Alumicraft makes a grille insert for the car as well... and in keeping with traditional looks, he can make them out of SS too, if you'd like.

I know this ended up being kind of a wordy post, but I hope this helps you out. Hell, I hope it helps other Mopar owners out as well.
    I hope I get to see your car out on the road sometime!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
    whtbaron, scotts52 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  3. Good on you. Sell the best and fix the rest

4. i do know my 36 plymouths that well! the picture would not enlarge. like i said they are different cars, the 36 is a bigger car and having them side by side is the way you start to see the differences.

5. scotts52

scotts52

Thanks. I hope to have it home soon and begin to assess my plan. It certainly will be a long term as I have much going on. Long term will give me more time and patience to track down what I'll be needing. I will probably take you up on at least some of what you're not using. For as many units as Plymouth produced I just don't see any cars or parts too often.

phantompjcoupe likes this.
  6. does the truck have a glove box? i would be interested if you want to sell it.

7. 35PJ

35PJ

I haven't been on in a loooong time. Great to see a thread like this. Feel free to contact me for parts or any info. I'm still building my PJ. Finished the chassis and front/rear suspension and have the body remounted for now. I worked with Chris from Alston Chassisworks and now have a pretty bad ass chassis to build off of. Look forward to hearing more of your updates.

8. Good luck with your build I am looking forward to following along and feel free to contact me I am building a 37 Sedan and have some parts I won't be reusing check out my build thread below. Have fun and keep moving forward! Hobo Jim

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  9. 55chevr

55chevr

The going in price will be long forgotten when you get into the build. It is a coupe and will make a great project and hot rod. I doubt you paid too much and you are starting with a lot more then some others have. Post pictures during the build, love fat fender cars.
    Joe