Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. olio mattore

olio mattore

Harvard ,Ill milk days 1964..........still a good time but mainstreet sure don't look like this anymore.....[​IMG]

2. George Klass

George Klass
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Desi & Lucy movie, "The Long, Long Trailer", or something like that. The car is a '53 Mercury flathead...

3. They used a Lincoln Capri in the hill pulling scenes.
    [​IMG]

4. walpolla

walpolla

A question from one of them "dang foreigners" re the different plates on the bus. Did buses (and/or cars) have to be registered in each state they travelled?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  5. Bono4783

Bono4783

6. Bono4783

Bono4783

7. Bono4783

Bono4783

8. Bono4783

Bono4783

9. wutnxt

wutnxt

I watched this movie recently onTCM (no commercials). It pegged the Corn-ometer, but was probably a big hit back then. I too noticed the Lincoln on the steep pulls. The Merc flathead would probably have expired.

timmy2times likes this.
  10. The Lincoln's 205 hp vs the Merc's 125 hp was a wise choice. The trailer would have pulled the Merc back down the hill.

11. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

Could this be Dinah Shore???

olpaul and hendelec like this.
  12. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

My favorite Desi and Lucy movie!....so funny, when they tried to back the trailer into the family's driveway was hilarious....and the hidden rocks in the trailer....I need to watch the movie again!:D:D:D

timmy2times and wutnxt like this.
  13. joe clotfelter

joe clotfelter

ya with Burt Reynolds

Raiman1959 likes this.
  14. BornBuick

BornBuick

…. Yeah I too had read about those scenes in this Dezi and Lucy Ball movie " The big trailer" . The production staff switch to a Lincoln for many of the highway hill scenes due to the Lincoln's larger engine. It reminds me back as a kid back in the mid to late 50's my dad always had a Roadmaster straight eight Dynaflow and my uncle had a 53 Merc flathead Monterey coupe with 3 on the tree. We would go out on family fishing/picnics/adventures outside of town to some lake or river. Usually a 50 mile round trip or so. Seven of us in the big Roadmaster and 3 in the Merc. My uncle would always complain about trying to keep up with that straight eight on the highways. My dad would cruise easily at around 60 as a rule but at times would kick it to above 65 and well into the 70's and keep it there just to rash the uncle a little. All the while what with my mom telling him " Slow down Edward" and reminding him he will pass everything but the next gas station. Meanwhile my uncle, way behind us would be trying to just keep up. As he would put it " With the pedal and a shoe" meaning his Merc was pegged and that's all she had ….. Yes those were the days indeed !

15. fbi9c1

fbi9c1

It wasn't just a larger engine, for '53 Lincoln got the 317.5 cu.in OHV V8 with 4bbl carb and 4 speed Hydramatic transmission.

Great story about the Buick vs. the Merc flathead! Thanks.

hendelec likes this.
  16. BornBuick

BornBuick

…. it appears Keith and his friend Matt were indeed doing a Pure Drug stop and as such thought that if enough speed could be had, a faster and easier 'unloading' technique could be achieved by just applying the brakes! … well anyways you had to be there and Mat thought it sounded like a good idea at the time …..

Pure Drugs.jpg

timmy2times and Bomb like this.
  17. BornBuick

BornBuick

… Cozy and cute the 56 Ford dash has always been a winner …

56 Ford date.jpg

18. Mart

Mart

^^ Nothing wrong with the brakes on that truck^^^

19. BornBuick

BornBuick

… while trying to appear 'amused' while Jack drones on and on, Shelly has slipped backwards somewhat and is now more concerned about that damn large flying buttress hood ornament … what with now having just raised her right shoe up yet in the end, making an awkward urgent situation even worse ….

Hood Ornament.jpg

20. gas pumper

gas pumper

Yes, each state here is it's own little kingdom. If you operated and made money in their state, even by passing thru they wanted a piece of the action. This practice was kept in effect as "states rights" even years after the interstate commerce commission (ICC) regulated all interstate travel for hire. The official excuse was public safety and financial responsibility (insurance coverage). But like everything else the government gets their fingers in, it is to collect money.

timmy2times likes this.
  21. walpolla

walpolla

Thanks for that . Fortunately in Australia we can drive anywhere through the 6 States and 2 Territories without additional registration cost over the "Home State".

regards,Rod.

22. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Indeed... and if I could find an original one, or even if someone could make one in glass for me, I'd be in heaven! Gary

23. I remember the movie. Very funny!
    yup. Laid out like a Indy race car - or so I thought as a kid. Top of the list for things I coveted.

24. Yes, corney. No murder, no sex, no profanity, no adult situations, no rating warning. Just funny. It will never sell.

25. I have plans to watch it this weekend.

Raiman1959 likes this.
  26. keef59

keef59

27. keef59

keef59

28. keef59

keef59

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.