Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods smallblock chevy heads

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by southern thunder, Jun 1, 2016.

1. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back in high school. A buddy of mine put together a low mileage 307 for his '69 maro. 327-300 heads, a 151 cam, 340 h.p. intake and carb and headers. This was all junk his uncle had laying around. The car had a 350 turbo and 3.55 10 bolt. It was no rocket but beat many a vette.

2. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I will take a look later. I would not be at all surprised if it is the same forging as a LJ 327 crank.

3. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If my book is right. Looks like there could be three 327 forged cranks. 1130, 4671, or 4672. The book didn't say anything about a 307 having a forged crank. But books don't always say everything.

hipster likes this.
  4. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Well, and I was just talking to Butch off-forum, I may have actually posted a photo of the wrong crank! I am sick as a dog and been taking lots of meds in the last 24 hrs, so if i did, I am going to blame it on that.:p I have the 307 crank, and a sj 327 crank side-by-side in the crank rack, and after I thought about it, I realized I just looked at the crank flange and grabbed the first 327 crank that fell to hand, so I have a 50/50 chance here! I will go back out to my storage later today, if I posted the wrong one, I will post a photo of the right crank!:oops:

5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

DOH!!! Good thing I am not in Vegas, I posted the small journal crank the first time! :eek::D. The 307 crank is on the right and its forging number is #4672. I should really clean this thing up, its getting a little grotty...
    DSCF0160[1].jpg DSCF0161[1].jpg

6. southern thunder

southern thunder

thanks for the info guys. all was pretty entertaining and helpful. some of you guys are crazy (in a good way). so in a yes or no answer, did the guys back in the day use 202/1.6 heads on .30 and .60 over 283s. and could I use a set on a 307 for a daily driver? I got 283s, 305, 307, 327, and 350s laying around and want to do something besides a 350. done a bunch of them. 307 has about 60k miles on it and looks good. want to put some heads on it and an intake and go. what about the 305s 601 head, is it any good? thanks guys. ( how did we get off on cranks anyway?)

hipster likes this.
  7. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

at what point, if there is one, would using the larger heads 1.94 or 2.02 on a say mild 283 if you need to clearance for the valve vs the power pack heads with the smaller valve?
    how much are you giving up with a 300 HP 283 block with those heads vs others?

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I kinda thought we covered that in the first dozen posts, I guess we gave the wrong one?:rolleyes: 6 out of the first ten address big valves in small bores, six say yes. Man, if only your election was that clear cut!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
    sjm1340 likes this.
  9. southern thunder

southern thunder

thanks again guys, I got some big valve heads and was gonna use them on this 307 if its not a problem. Falcon, I guess the question was answered in the first 10 or 12, I'm kinda sloooooowww sometimes. thanks again guys.

10. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

In my opinion ,and I don't know squat,with the valve that close to the cyl.wall most if not all of the advantage of bigger valves is lost.

11. thanks for the info,
    I will no longer ask questions late at night
    the large lournal part didnt caculate

12. All 283 fans line up here: >>>>>>

All 327 fans line up here: >>>>>>

Ok now you guys tell me everything that's wrong with a 307

hipster and henryj1951 like this.
  13. I only have 283s and 327s ?
    my paw in law tossed a 307 out in the yard, maybe I should grab it

14. primed34

primed34

I'm not trying to start a pissing contest, but I'm old enough to have driven 307s when they were new. All of them that I had where slugs compared to 283s and certainly 327s, but the 307s were giving up 20 c.i. Since I'm cheap by nature, I don't see spending the money to built a 307 when you have so many other choices for about the same money. The cool factor is way way higher with a 283 or a 327 if that matters.

15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Go back and read what Benno, and 31vicky and I all posted, but my guess is, it still wont dawn on you...

16. No pissing contest, just get in line say what it is.

Maybe we'll have a great discussion later.

17. 307 is visually identical to the SBC
    307 has the same architecture to the SBC.
    307 takes the same parts as SBC.
    307 is easily capable of one HP per CI like any other SBC. You can wring 330 out of with some thought.

So what is it?
    Is the bore to stroke ratio off?
    Is the rod ratio off?
    Maybe the flat top Pistons?

Come on gimme something

18. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

Its all about the marketing - did a 307 ever come with a 4bbl? - It was marketed as a base/slug engine just like the 400 - some people just can't wrap their head around the fact that its just a stroked 283 and will respond well to hot rodding because it was never marketed that way from Chevrolet.....there were plenty of 2 barrel 283s and 327s too, but the factory HP versions help create the illusion they are the only choice.....Most people lump the 307 in with the 305 and 267.....It even took a while for the 400 to catch on - this isn't exclusive to chevy - no one wanted 400 mopars either, everyone considered the 383 a far better engine......the 400 had a much larger bore and the same stroke - it just debut in the smog era and was considered a dog an a bad choice for a build up......now everyone wants the big bore short deck block for stroker builds....

19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
    31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  20. The cam shaft and how far down the hole the piston is @ TDC. The original heads are lazy but heads are no biggy, the cam shaft can be changed and unless I am mistaken TRW can still supply the proper pistons to cure the deck height problem, if not I can get the proper piston so I guess I don't really have a problem with them. It has been a while but I think that they have the same or close to the same bore to stroke ratio as a 383 ( stroked 350) so in theory it should be able to perform on that level if only a little less torquey.

I am a 283 fan because of the shorter stroke and a 327 with a 283 crank floats my boat real well, but you have known me long enough to know that I am a bore heavy guy, right?

The 307 was actually a hot rod build back in the '60s. With a little work they can be made quite snappy. All you have to do is over come the smog era stuff that GM did to them. The truth is that if you are building an engine anyway that doesn't cost anymore then building a different small block. :) The price of admission is usually way lower than other offerings, because they are such a crappy motor.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I'm just curious if our shit hot "pro engine builder" that thinks us "backyard" engine builders are so stupid is even gonna know what they are...You know, the one who builds 302's with the pistons 1/8 in the hole...;):rolleyes:

22. P
    Pistons are 0.02xx in the hole.
    Use a steel shim gasket and you have a 0.04x quench. Mine stacked up and measured out to 0.043.

A Cam and heads are somethings on the short list of stuff to be changed on almost every single soup up project ever thought of. Now I know everyone is different but for me, the short comings of the factory cam and heads is a mute point. They suck for sure! Makes no difference how bad the suck because they are getting tossed.

23. What's cooler than cool ?
    Ice cold

Way back when there was a early nova running around here. Probably the best sounding small block around. It thumped the ground and would tickle your feet. Early ChevyII/nova are Light cars so it was really quick down the road too. When ever anyone would ask what he had under the hood all he'd get this "Ice cold" stare and would just say is "a warmed up 283". Always elusive and vague on ANY details about that engine.

What we saw was "ice cold" secrecy. :cool::cool:

What was in his head was - good gravey don't tell them it's a 307.
    :(o_O:eek:

Putting a bitch smack down on a 350 with a lowly 307 is pretty cool.

Someplace we should compare HP to dollar ratio too. That's pretty cool.

24. I know where there is a 307 with stagger bolt heads. I am sure that no one at any given hot dog stand is going to measure the swept volume, which is about the only way it would loose its cool factor.

Even if it did I learned a long time ago that cool is way over rated.;)

25. Run the Pistons 1/4" in the hole to keep compression at pump gas levels.

26. That's what GM did for the fuel crisis, detune the hell out of a motor to make it more efficient. LOL

27. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

:p

28. HAAAAAA!!! You guys are killin me!:D:D:D:D:p

29. My good friend in high school had a 69 camaro with a 307. Had double humps, forged slugs crower cam , alum. high rise, 650 DP. M-22 stick. That car would destruct big boss 60-14s forever. Reverse to first tear drops every day, shake the girls panties, and a lot of 383 mopar, and BBC guys were afraid of that car. Can a 307 be made to run and run fast? YOU BET! And by a teenager with very limited money!