Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Drum brake help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bzeldo, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Bzeldo

Bzeldo

Hey everyone,

I'm replacing the shoes cylinders and drums on my 66 Caddy for the first time, I took a bunch of pictures to use as guides before taking anything apart and went one wheel at a time. The issue I'm having is neither of the front star wheels are connecting with the adjuster lever pawl. I'm using the original star wheel since they seemed in good shape and cleaned them up and threw anti seize on the threads. Anyone have any tips or tricks that I can use? I'm pretty confident that everything is put together correctly and have taken the front apart a couple times already with still no luck. A friend told me not to worry if they don't self adjust as long as I check here n there and re-adjust but if possible I'd like everything in original working order. Thanks in advance for any ideas

2. There should be a lever of some sort that connects to operate the star wheel on the adjuster. That lever is pulled when the car is braked while backing up. So think about what happens when backing up and brakes applied, and how that lever will operate the star wheel.

3. squirrel

squirrel

Post some "after" pictures, so we can see what you did. Words don't work for this type of troubleshooting.

4. Bzeldo

Bzeldo

Thank you. I was just confused because when I took them apart I could clicking when turning the star wheel and didn't after getting them back together. Thanks again, this is my first time messing with drums so I figured better to ask a stupid question now while I have it up in the air and apart.

5. Bzeldo

Bzeldo

6. squirrel

squirrel

Those are some wild brakes!

The drums need to be on, and you need to be applying the brakes as you move backwards, to get the adjuster to move. When you get them back on the car, set the adjusters so the drum almost drags on the shoes, and see how it does.

7. Bzeldo

Bzeldo

Thanks Squirrel!!

I have everything on the car now, you should see the drums they are massive!! I just did the front end suspension now working on finishing up the brakes and MC, first time doing any of this, a real character builder lol but have enjoyed the challenge and the learning experience. Thanks again for the help.