Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody done a tilt-forward hood?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cranium, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Cranium

Cranium

OK, I'm coming up a bit short on hood hinges for my '53 Ford. I've got a couple of leads on rebuilding, etc., but I'm exploring options.
    I'm seriously considering a tilt hood, and I'm just wondering if there's anyone that's done it, specifically on an early-50s car. And tips, suggestions, etc. would be GREAT. I'm looking at the generic "kit" from Autoloc, to get a jump start on the process.
    And if anyone in the Santa Cruz/ Bay Area has done it and wants to make a few extra bucks doing it again, let me know. ;)

2. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

there was a post about using later model Buick hinges. I have it saved at home, not here.

3. 215slowpoke

215slowpoke

Have you checked with FLAT-TOP bob here on the HAMB?
    He is probably your best bet for hood hinges.
    Does Macs or Dennis Carpenter have them?

4. Canada Jeff

Canada Jeff

5. HotRodHon

HotRodHon

6. hey man try 57-59 ford hood hinges and all, those are tilt forward from the factory, would be a cool custom touch to you actual production parts.
    I would find a 57-59 wreck get the whole radiator panel with hinge system and get the piece of sheetmetal and latch system from the firewall end, don't forget the release mechanis from insider under the dash. I think the 49-56 hood would need more reinforcement to do this mod. or take to the next level and pancake the hood and make it tilt at the same time, you'd be a ruler.

7. Ornery37

Ornery37
    from Texas

8. I have done a few front flip hoods over the years. My first was a power operated hood on a 1956 Ford Courier (sedan delivery) then I did one for Truckin' magzine's World's Fastest Street Truck with help from Jeem.

My next custom hood was for myself, suprising though I don't have any pictures of it fully opened. But this shot shows the mechanism pretty well.

Picture 085.jpg

Then the latest one was on a 1955 Studebaker. It had it's own challenges to tackle. But works really well now.

9. rodrelic

rodrelic

10. BobbyD

BobbyD
    from Belmont NC

Do a search on www.ford-trucks.com, theres a decent article on there with some drawings. I did one last year on a '65 F100 that turned out nice using 1" and 3/4" round tube, and a couple heims. I tried to post some pics of it, but my computer skills are not what they should be!

11. Delsiii

Delsiii

I'm doing one right now on my "53" Chevy Coupe.. :eek:

12. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

Contact Mid-fiftys Ford . They have a great tilt hood kit.

13. 39 Ford

39 Ford

Saw a guy in Gattlenburg about 30 years with one that was powered, he opened and closed it in traffic to show off.

14. Donald Dillman

Donald Dillman

I know this is an old post, but wanted to share my way of tilting the hood. Went to the local car lot and picked up a 1990 Buick LaSabre forward tilt hood hinge assembly ($30.00). First I reversed the U-bracket that holds the radiator, moved the radiator closer to the engine and also dropped it 2". (will be installing a push electric fan). Mounted the hinge assembly on the side brackets @ the radiator and had to mod the cross shaft (shorter). Measured for the hood bolt locations and will install 2 angle iron brackets from the top and bottom hood braces. This will allow me to bolt the Buick hinges (L&R). See pictures DSC00036.JPG DSC00031.JPG .... I will also cut off the OEM hinges from the air ducts to make room for the roller and socket that holds the rear of the hood secured.

15. I've hated the forward-opening hood on every car that had one.... I'd do a lift-off first...

16. brjnelson

brjnelson

17. dave plmley

dave plmley

this is my old F100 I gave to my son, home made hinges and frame extensions
    [​IMG]

18. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

58-60 thunderbird hood hinges would be worth looking at too

19. Donald Dillman

Donald Dillman

Guys, I thank everyone so far for their comments and input. The reason I went with the 90 Buick hinge assembly was that it was readily available at the car lot (junk car lot) for $30.00. So I figured I would give it a try and so far I like the setup. I usually build, modify or implement things to work to my advantage. Example: My 53 has a Delphi steering gear from a Jeep Cherokee, Corvette steering gear pump mounted on the OEM PS bracket, Blazer front and rear sway bars, Aerostar front coils, Upper camber brackets, PCV instead of the downdraft tube, HEI ignition incorporated into the OEM distributor, NGK Iridium Plugs (indexed), MSD ignition wires (custom cut and routed), remote Oil filter housing with MotorCraft 910S filter, 1-wire Alternator, and the battery is in the trunk, just to name a few. Working on the dash board for 12-volt system, 2-1/32" gauges in OEM bezel, and a CD stereo mounted in the OEM car AM radio bezel. Later I will also install a push radiator fan, electric fuel pump with regulator, and my own customized interior.

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  20. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Donald, care to share any more photos of your hood hinge setup? Is it finished.

21. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Donald- I'm planning a forward-tilt hood for my non-HAMB-friendly Studebaker Lark build. I've though about using that Buick setup, too. I'll be following this thread for your updates!

22. Donald Dillman

Donald Dillman

Got the hood on and it looks good. Still in the mock-up stage but making progress. What I found out was if the hood is a wedge shape from the back, it does not slide forward, the hood will have to be raised upwards then tilt forward. I ca live with that.

Attached Files: