Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Questions about exhaust noise levels in California and Title Transfers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by longbeachcruzer, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Hey guys - thanks for taking the time to read this thread.
    I am looking to purchase a 30 ford out of state that has lake pipes installed. My question, will CHP allow the out of state title transfer with the "modified" pipes? I'm not concerned with emissions as I believe it is exempt, I am more concerned about potential decibel level issues when I take the car down for an inspection.
    Has anyone had any experience with this type of issue? if so, any recommendations as to how to handle it short of running new exhaust with quieter glass packs or mufflers just to get the car signed off on - then replacing?
    Are there any other potential issues that I might have to deal with in regards to the transfer such as ride height or other modifications that might cause them to deny the transfer? I had done out of state transfers before with no hassle, albeit most of those cars were much less modified.
    I am open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks for all the input.
    Chip

2. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

All the DMV wants is VIN verification, they don't look at sound, lights etc. I would find an independent title verification service. Make sure you find all the VIN #s on the car before they arrive to make sure they match the title.
    As far as noise, it seems California completely ignores loud vehicles now. I can hear some cars and bikes for miles after they pass my house now.

3. I agree. Use an independent VIN verifier. All they will look at is that the VIN is correct, stamped in the frame and not modified. When I have had to use CHP, I trailer it there and tell them it isn't currently running :)

4. flyn schlosser

flyn schlosser
    from phelan, ca

I buy and sell alot of cars .I live in california use AAA if you have it .There not going to care about exhaust and there is no smog below 1976 .They will verify vin #and transfer title ..

5. Thanks guys for all the input!
    The frame has been modified and is custom built so no vin stamp on frame, vin-tag is located in jam - hope that it won't be an issue with wherever I end up getting it verified.
    Last time I went to AAA they did not allow me to do an out of state title transfer, they direct me to the local CHP office in Carson. They claimed that they were not setup to do out of state. THis was about a year ago, maybe this is no longer the case? Sounds like AAA will be the way to go if so. Or just some independent vin verification place.

6. If the VIN tag was installed by the DMV in another state I wouldn't expect any problems. If the previous owner got the tag off of EBAY that is another story.

Charlie Stephens

7. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

VIN verifiers have books on where location of VIN numbers are and the sequence of numbers pertaining to what years. I know because the last verifier I used left one at my house. If the numbers aren't stamped on the frame somewhere I wouldn't bother buying it and bringing it into California. If it is a legit plate on the door jamb than I would assume it to be an assigned VIN number which would determine that the car was "special construction" and again I would bother to buy it and bring it into California. If everything isn't in place it can just turn into one huge headache. And no AAA does not do vin verifications or title transfers from cars out of state.

8. If it has an Assigned VIN from another state, California has to recognize it, by law, as long as it has not been tampered with (in their eyes). I brought a 32 in from Ohio with an Ohio issued VIN, but as a 32 Ford and had no problems. Same with a Glass 27 Washington. A lot will depend on how it is titled - Special Construction, year model, Year titled etc. Sometimes it's easy, sometimes it's a nightmare. Trucks are also worse than cars.

9. The frame is stamped on the drivers side frame rail, there is a matching vin plate in the drivers jam. Based on what I found here on the HAMB this is the correct location for the stamp. The car is titled as a 30 Ford and not special construction. I think im good!
    Thanks again for the knowledge!

hotroddon likes this.
  10. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

AAA has changed, there was a time I could drag down a frame with numbers and be good to go. Now they want to at least see the frame, body and somewhat of a motor. I tried to explain that once the body was on the number would not be visible, yea it would have been, but I was just trying to get a title to start the project. As all I had was the frame, fenders and motor but no body.
    And the only time I had to do time at the DMV was for a 69 Chevy truck that was missing the VIN tag on the door, I was so excited by the price and condition I didn't check the tag I glanced at. The tag there was the body tag. But once at the DMV it went smooth, the checked, they made a new VIN tag, they attached it to the door, and at the same time drilled the gas tank, that's another story.

11. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

I had an out-of-state car VIN-verified / registered at the AAA. But like Anthony says --> Times have changed at AAA. Give AAA a call and see what they say about VIN verification. If there are any issues, I'd go to a third-party service and let them deal with it. Mufflers won't be a problem.
    The only entity that MIGHT give you a problem is the CHP. But since you have options, avoid the CHP.

12. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you know about Donut Derolicks in Huntington Beach on Saturday, there is a license plate/DMV place in the corner of the center that get you thru everything with out you going to the DMV. Their needs to be a number on the car/frame that matches your info. The ladies in there are great to work with and made my YOM transfer really easy. A friend just did a 50's Austin coupe drag car he was redoing for the street. The last time it was seen was the Santa Ana drags in the late 50's. It had no lights/wiring/glass etc but it now has a plate, registration and pink. Good Luck

longbeachcruzer likes this.
  13. Great feedback... I haven't been to Donuts Derelicts in a few months, looks like its time for another visit.

14. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Finally...Calif Registration is looking up...

15. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

I've really been quite pleased with the CA DMV. Never really had a problem. I've been here all of my life and most of the problems I hear about are mostly self-inflicted by the people trying to get something done without doing their due-diligence.

16. flyboy89

flyboy89
    from So. Cal.

You need to call "AUDREY DMV". 714-782-7816. I've known her over 20 years. She used to work at AAA. She's doing vehicle verifications now. I've used her many times. She knows her stuff. Does house calls also.

poboyross likes this.
  17. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

Isn't she out close to Pomona?

18. flyboy89

flyboy89
    from So. Cal.

Last time I talked to her she was still in Hawaiian Gardens.

19. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

YES!! Awesome to hear this!! She used to work at the Anaheim AAA. She is awesome and DOES know her stuff!! I'm glad she is still working.