Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical AV8 Redux

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by av8, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Wildfire

Wildfire

I'm sitting here, having just referred to my copy to remember how many rear leaves to run in the spring on my A. Thanks to Mike and Vern!

2. dawna

dawna
    from Burbank

If anyone could forward this to Mike, I would greatly appreciate it. I realized, when his daughter, Meghan, was talking about this blog to me, that my ex had a copy of this magazine on our coffee table. After having read all the posts, I have to assume that there was a greasy, dog eared copy in the garage , as well. It's amazing to me that SOOOO many people must have this book, including Mike's daughter's friend's ex-husband (Try to follow that!). Ha ha ha. Next time he is coming to Pomona, let's go to Coral Cafe with Meghan.

3. av8

av8

Dawna -- I just heard from Meghan and received an automatic 'heads-up' about your post as well. Breakfast with Meghan at the Coral Cafe is a sure thing every time I'm in Burbank.

Mike

4. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

I only have one copy, it is the geasy dog eared one on the coffee table.

Jeff

5. river1

river1

mmmmmm good food

later jim

6. TV

TV

My son and I each have a copy, and they both get used. Very cool book, and Mike is a real gentleman with a wealth of knowledge and a great writer.--TV

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. Steve Coonan would have indexed the wheels so that the Ford script was the right way up. ;)

Great car, great book, great guys (Vern and Mike).

I've been lucky enough to meet both of them, although never saw the car in person. Good to hear sales are still ticking over. I might have to get myself the revised edition as well. :)

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. robt500

robt500
    from Lex, KY

I've had the book since before I came to the hamb. In my first post over two years ago I mentioned "dreaming of an A/V8" and basically Mike, your roadster set my heart on fire. cheers;)

9. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I'm looking at old posts and bringing 2 or three back to the top simply cuz they deserve it... Don't try this at home.

cball and kidcampbell71 like this.
  10. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

are you guys talking about the "hot rod by barry Gifford" ? I bought a copy & was disappointed . lots of pix but no info .

11. 2935ford

2935ford

My avatar AV8 is Tardel/Bishop inspired!

12. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

"are you guys talking about the "hot rod by barry Gifford" ? "

No

13. Just to say that Bishop and I have had words a time or two over semantics and while we don't agree on terminology he is a damned good writer and he and Verne have produced one of the most influential books on the A V-8 ever in print. Novice or old wrench alike can glean a plethora of information from the book that is both accurate and understandable.

I cannot say enough about the book or the writer to do it justice.

14. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Now I'm curious. I think of Mike as a very articulate and precise writer; what have been some of your disagreements about semantics or terminology?

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Although my 31Vic won't follow the book perfectly it is usually pretty close to the top of the stack of my reference books on the end table next to my chair.

16. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

I used this book to build my Avatar. Many thanks to to them! My book is pretty beat and some pages falling out but could not give this "original version" away but have recommended it to many.

17. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

all things ARE bigger in texas

18. burninfatties

burninfatties
    from Ocala, FL

That book. That Dam book! It caused me to start building a flatty powered RPU.

19. Rand Man

Rand Man

Where the heck is my how to book? I have traditional Model A in the brain lately.

cball likes this.