Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical A QUESTION FOR PAINT GUYS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, May 29, 2016.

1. As most of you know I had a accident back in February that resulted in a total shoulder replacement but the Doctors signed of for me to drive again.

I decided to drive my red Deuce sedan to a cruise-in last night so I backed the sedan out of the shop and noticed how dusty it was and although I can drive the right arm still needs a lot more therapy and so all I did was rinse off the dust and went in the house and not drying the car like I would do normally.

About an hour later I was ready to go and noticed the hood was spotted but the rest of the car was fine.

What would cause this?

I know I'm going to have to buff the hood to get rid of the spots but what do I need to do to prevent this in the future? HRP

hood.JPG

Last edited: May 29, 2016
  2. overspray

overspray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Water spots. They might wipe off with a damp cloth. The water drop left on the hood dried and either left dust or contaminants when it evaporated, or worst case, the drops act like a little magnifying glass and lightly etch the surface if the water had even a small amount of chemicals left in it. Maybe it just discolored the wax on the hood, and a reapplication of wax or polish will remove it (tough on a wounded arm, though). If it doesn't wipe off or wax out--get out the buffer.

good luck

overspray

3. It doesn't wipe off. HRP

4. flatford39

flatford39

You on a well??? Could be mineral deposits. They should wash off.

5. indyjps

indyjps

I'd try a clay bar before getting out the buffer. I was amazed at how well they worked. It took everything off my abused daily, tar, sap, spots and got the paint slick again. I normally use 3M imperial hand glaze to get it this clean for a good detailing.
    Wash, rinse, dry the car, fresh bucket of soapy water on the panel to lubricate the clay bar. Rinse and chamois.
    The clay bar spray works if you wanna spend the cash on it.

Don't remember the brand, I bought it from an online body shop supply for about half the cost of the popular brands.

Last edited: May 30, 2016
    luckythirteenagogo likes this.
  6. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

My first thought or now you are using water with softener in it..My well water is very low mineral but will give me water spot heartache if I am not fast enough in the blow off dry down...

7. No sir,not on a well. HRP

8. I'm having a difficult time try to understand is why the hood and no where else. HRP

9. Maybe the sun was beating on the hood? And it was already hot?

10. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

Most water spots are calcium deposits. They come from city water just as often as from well water. The water evaporates but the calcium doesn't. And in most cases, they won't simply wash off once they're dried on the paint.

A friend who runs a detail shop here says white vinegar on a rag will usually take them off and it won't harm the paint. He says some people will recommend using acid type wheel cleaner but that's a good way to wreck the paint as the acid is too strong. After wiping with vinegar, rinse with water and dry to prevent trading one type of spots for another type.

If he can't get them off with vinegar then he uses a clay bar as the next step. And then a buffer as a last resort, but in most cases where he has to buff its obvious the owner has been scrubbing on the spots and scratched the paint, so the buffer is used to get rid of the scratches as well as getting rid of the spots that he probably could've removed easily if they hadn't messed with them first.

11. maplefrm

maplefrm
    from Central IL

We are on a well and I have to wash and dry the '32 one panel at a time or it spots and it doesn't come out easy. Makes you not want to wash the car.

12. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

Second for clay bar!

13. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I caught a sale on elctric leaf blower and bought one to blow stuff dry Danny, and it works well. I'd first try the white vinegar, and then if that doesn't get it, use a clay bar.
    Years ago before I retired I was on the way to work well before dawn and ran thru a puddle of white paint where someone apparently had a can of paint fall off the back of a truck. I know that's what it was because I looked for it later after I got off work, went to parking lot and found white paint spatters along the lower half of my black OT Mustang DD, and of course after being on there all day on that black paint, it was dry. and stuck quite well.
    Clay bar did the trick. Just don't drop the bar and then try to use it again, as the dirt that got on it will ruin your paint.

14. onetrickpony

onetrickpony
    from Texas

Warm engine, warm hood = water spots when not wiped dry.

15. All we have on hand is apple vinegar so a trip to the grocery store is on my list of things to do later on. HRP

16. bondolero

bondolero

Doesn't your red car have a filled top ? What did it do ? Water spots occur on my car on anything horizontal that it can pool and dry. Personally I would try a biodegradable prep/degreaser or clay bar before using a buffer. My 2 pesos.

17. Flip top? HRP

18. I would concur with the waterspots and if the vinegar doesn't wok try the clay bar. The hood was probably not as well waxed as the rest of the car maybe the heat from the engine compartment degrades it faster but I would guess wax not as good so the water didn't sheet off as well as other parts of the car.

Texas57 likes this.
  19. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Same happened to my friends black 40 sedan at show at an old Mission when the cars were being blessed with Holy water-no kidding! Same results on the hot hood. He took a clay bar then a 3M product after and buffed it by hand--all good.

20. indyjps

indyjps

Edit: posted in wrong thread

21. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ SAY WHAAAAATT???????????????

Blue One likes this.
  22. Huh?,sounds like desperate measures for water spots but I was looking for suggestions.:rolleyes: HRP

Blue One likes this.
  23. Yep Danny- your gonna have to change out that driveshaft if you want to avoid water spots on your hood-according to this - I don't see any other way to avoid it

24. Just good natured ribbing with a fellow member with too many windows open.

Can you imagine the guy looking for help and this is the reply.

25. Gman0046

Gman0046

Danny, I think that car has just figured out another way to break your balls. It's tried everything else.
    I use spray detailer rather then soapy water to lubricate the clay bar. It doesn't affect the wax.

Gary

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  26. You might be right Gary,but I'm resilient and it's not a major problem.

Buying a car someone else built I expected to have a few problems,I'll work it out. HRP

27. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

I've use clay bars to remove water spots in the past. It always works well, and is easy to do.

Sent from my SM-G920V using H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Maybe the hood was prepped/shot separately from the rest of the car during the build? Or the hood was replaced/paint matched at one time due to damage/style change. Was the hood top a replacement for a 4 piece or a louvered top sometime in it's history?
    I've seen this happen with cars that had panels paint matched perfectly, but they just don't clean up/wax out as cooperatively as the rest of the car.

29. I honestly don't know the history on the car but your thoughts of the hood being painted at a different time makes sense. HRP

30. redo32

redo32

I've seen this before and I'm having a hard time with the memory banks. I think it was on my '55 Nomad around 1980 which explains the poor memory. It was red too and an old paint job that would die back, so i buffed it a lot. Like your spots it does not appear to be the classic water spots. I think the moisture caused the paint to blush. Don't remember if I had to rebuff or if just wax will take it out. Hopefully you can do a one hander and clean it up.