Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ford FE Tri-Power w/vac advance dizzy?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wideglidejoe, May 26, 2016.

1. wideglidejoe

wideglidejoe

I've had several FE's, two currently, but one of the two is a tri-power 406. My first FE tri-power. I haven't pulled the carbs yet, but after close scrutiny with the breather off and with a shop light, I don't see any place to hook up to a vacuum source above the throttle plates for a vac adv dizzy. I've got the FE dual point dizzy, I'd like to put it on the shelf and run a 8595 MSD w/vac adv. Any one done it? The only vac connections I see are at the rear of the intake, on the plenum, where the vac line goes to the tranny modulator, and could go to a PCV valve, but that location has a block off plate. I'm also planning on removing that plate, installing a basket and plate with a PCV valve, as I have just enough blow-by to mess up the passenger valve cover at higher RPM's.

Thanks in advance for any info!
    Joe

2. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

As you've seen, the 406-6V had no vacuum advance - please keep in mind that an intact and unmodified 6V setup is somewhat rare (especially unmodified) and fairly valuable- so any modifications, drilling and tapping, mods to the carbs etc are not a good idea, and will severely devalue the 6V from its unmodified state. It's getting hard to find one in survivor condition, with correct factory progressive linkage, correct fuel log and air cleaner etc- if yours is not messed with, please take my advice and don't mess with it- once it's hacked up, it's no longer a highest value unit

falcongeorge likes this.
  3. As those were originally equipped with the dual point with no vacuum advance, there wouldn't be a ported vacuum connection. You can't add one to the carb because Holley uses an internal main carb body passage to the metering block to get ported vacuum; the ported vacuum connection is on the passenger side of the block when so equipped.
    So that leaves manifold vacuum, but there shouldn't be any reason that won't work with the right vacuum diaphragm. An adjustable one might be the best choice... A simple 'T' fitting into the modulator line should do it.

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

on Thunderbird 6V set up there was a ported center carb #2497 - some have used a ported base plate with center carb

5. wideglidejoe

wideglidejoe

Hey guys, thanks for the replies!

MeanGene, trust me, I won't be doing any mod's that are permanent! I was just thinking of saving the dual point dizzy, and adding vac adv if I could do it easily and not do any permanent mods. My intake is pristine, no welds, no mods, no stripped threads, etc. I've only had this a few weeks, I haven't checked the carb #'s, etc, but the linkage, fuel log, etc., is all in good shape, I can't say for sure it is 100% original or some pieces have been replaced, etc., but it is progressive and all there. By the way, this is a 63 1/2 fastback, 500 XL that is a 406 clone car, it was originally a Z code 390 500 XL, but all the 406 stuff is there; engine, heads, solid lifter cam, shorty cast iron headers, 6V, etc.

Jalopy Joker, thanks for the info on the TBird 6V setup, that might be an option, just temporarily swap center carbs.

Crazy Steve, could you expound more about using manifold vacuum? I've always just used ported vacuum from above the throttle plates. If I use manifold vacuum, I'll have lots of advance at idle, which will increase idle speed, and I've got an auto tranny. I'm not familiar with the adjustable diaphragm you're talking about.

Thanks again guys!!

6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

oh boy, here we go...:rolleyes:

Truck64 and saltracer219 like this.
  7. Can any of you guys post up some good photos of a complete and stock unit showing factory linkage and fuel log? I'm very close to putting mine back together after being in a box over 20 years. I know I can get there eventually but some photos would be priceless.

8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

A guy in a Chevy Monte Carlo pulled up to my bud's shop last year, brought in a MINT 6V system off a '62 Galaxie 406. Asked Larry if he'd give him $200 for it.
    Larry said he'd have to 'think'. The guy left, and stopped by other bud's shop, asked Butch to make an offer. Butch took one look and offered the guy $2K!
    I saw it. It was perfect. Looked just like the brand new one on Johnny Davis's new 406 in '62.
    Linkage, fuel lines like new...

9. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

Funny Story. My buddy tell me often when I'm iffy about buying something "Think long, you'll think wrong".

10. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Yeah my first thought...Just let it go...

11. Why bother with vacuum advance?

12. [​IMG]
    I had this set up on my old 66 Fairlane GTA, not sure if the fuel log is original but pretty sure the linkage was, and no vacuum advance. Bought the whole thing at a local speed shop (used of course) for $180 in 1985. Bolted it on and ran it. Sold the car in '88 for $1600. Huh.

13. I've never had any problem getting a 'correct' idle speed when using manifold vacuum; simply adjust the speed. I suggested an adjustable vacuum unit as that will give you some options in setting it up (total advance, how soon/fast it comes in, etc). Whether or not one is available for a MSD unit you'll have to find out, or check to see what it comes with; not all vacuum advances are the same.

FWIW, I switched a FE I used to have from full mechanical advance to both and increased full economy by 50%. Of course, going from 8 mpg to 12 still didn't make it good... LOL.

I'll agree with Gene; don't hack on what you have, the carb is extremely hard to find...

14. wideglidejoe

wideglidejoe

From Crazy Steve....."FWIW, I switched a FE I used to have from full mechanical advance to both and increased full economy by 50%. Of course, going from 8 mpg to 12 still didn't make it good... LOL."
    Above quote is why I want to add vac advance. Cruising MPG at light throttle with vac advance should increase my MPG significantly.

"I'll agree with Gene; don't hack on what you have, the carb is extremely hard to find..."
    Trust me, I won't modify anything such as drilling on a carb or intake, etc.! I know what the 6V set-ups are going for, just like the shorty cast iron headers, not to mention the long cast iron headers on the 427's. However, if I can find a center carb from a 6V T-bird like Jalopy Joker mentioned that had a vacuum port, I could put my stock center carb on the shelf with the dual point dizzy, no harm done, easy to put back the way it was.

Crazy Steve, I appreciate your comments (along with every one else's), I suppose I could try manifold vacuum as you mentioned. The last time I tried that was in the 70's on a small block Vega. It had a hot 327 with a snotty cam and a 400 Turbo. I tried using manifold vacuum on a Mallory dizzy, I'd slow the idle down to where it was good at idle in Park, but when I put it in Drive, the idle was too low. So I'd speed the idle up to good RPM in Drive, then it was way too fast in Park, so I went back to mech adv only. I'll look into an adj vac adv too. I recall hearing about them, but I've never used one.

Thanks again Guys!

15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I'm just gonna sit back and watch these threads unfold from here on in...:rolleyes::D

mctim64 likes this.
  16. here is a picture of an original set up
    IMG_4789.JPG IMG_4784.JPG IMG_4785.JPG IMG_4786.JPG IMG_4792.JPG IMG_4787.JPG

17. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

The off-engine one with the oval air cleaner is a '61 390-401 unit

18. Thanks for the offer wideglidejoe. The photos wood remover posted show me everything I think I will need. I noticed in the first photo I notice on the front Carb it has nits on the front t bolts under the cross bar then a nut on top of cross bar holding it on the studs. On manifold not on a motor I see the cross bar is mounted right on the Carb base. Do you think that matters at all?
    The Wizzard

19. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Never seen one before with nuts underneath like that, might be something the owner did for some reason- that setup has been messed with a bit. The extra bellcrank setup on the rear is 61- only, most setups won't have all that extra linkage. Most early ones will also have no date code

20. Hey Wiz
    The manifold is just hap hazardly put together to keep it all together , Nothing on the intake is bolted down ,as when I install it in the car I will install manifold first and then assemble the carbs .on the manifold.
    When I am ready to use the unit
    I bolt down all the carbs and mount the cross bar unit on top with 2 more nuts .

21. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Aha- of course it will probably work OK, but the extra nuts under the cross shaft bracket aren't supposed to be there and are unnecessary- just put it all together and then tighten the 4 nuts- it should look like the "other" setup, and the bracket will be supported better by sitting on the carb flange instead of the extra nuts

22. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Aw gee..:)

23. Thanks Guys, I didn't think I'd ever seen the front bracket mounted that way. I've had 2 factory cars and one other 57 Ford with Tri Power FE's and worked on all of them. This was back in 60's and 70's and nothing had been messed with. All I had to do was put things back the way they were. A little different now. Plus my hard drive has a few holes in it. This one is going in what I think will be my last 57 Ford build,,, well maybe.
    The Wizzard