Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Oil on spark plug threads

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CalGasser, May 25, 2016.

1. CalGasser

CalGasser

Always wondered how or why oil gets on the spark plug threads. When I pull the plugs, the threads are wet with oil. Anyone?

rfraze likes this.
  2. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

If it's oil , & not unburned fuel , you have excess oil in the combustion chamber ,rings , valve guides, or intake gaskets ....
    dave

3. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I've always wondered about that too. The rest of the combustion chamber and end of the plug can be dry, but oil seems to wick up into the threads, even on healthy engines.

My guess is that some oil is sucked into the combustion chamber and it stays on the threads because it isn't subjected to burning away in there.

Don

Montana1 likes this.
  4. alchemy

alchemy

I use a bit of anti seize on every plug I install. When they are eventually removed that might look a little like oil with the dirt from combustion.

dana barlow likes this.

5. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Have wondered about that too, thought caused by maybe the valve covers leaking but that's not it. Definitely minimized if tuned up right. Betcha it's from lots of short trips, like everything else.

6. squirrel

squirrel

This is one of those things that I accept as a part of nature...not something to worry about.

7. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I use Milk of Magnesia (sp?) on aluminum heads...

tfeverfred likes this.
  8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Oil on the spark plug threads is classic leaking valve covers, only it`s leaking so lightly you can`t tell. What`s the only oil source above the spark plugs? the heads, and where`s oil going to go once it`s leaked out? down due to gravity.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

9. Champion makes a conductive anti-sieze spark plug thread coating for aircraft, comes in a little bottle with a brush on the cap - I got it at Aircraft Spruce. It's black so I guess I never knew if I had oil on the plug threads...............

10. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

mix that with vodka and you get a Phillips Screw Driver.

I have never been overly concerned with a little oil wicking on the plug threads personally. I doubt it is cause for alarm, IMO.

11. CalGasser

CalGasser

I run mechanical injectors on the street and often wondered if it's actually fuel or really oil? I have to run it fat to compensate for no accelerator pump.

12. alchemy

alchemy

Mine's a flathead, so no leaking from a valve cover here. The plugs are above the heads instead of your idea. What causes my oil on the threads?

13. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

For an OHV car, I completely agree.

14. stimpy

stimpy

kind of like the oil we find when we pull a dry nozzle or Injector on a diesel ( injector/nozzle mounted on exterior of block not under valve cover ) , the thread seal is not as tight as one thinks ( expansion and contraction of the metal and stretched threads from not using a torque wrench ) and when the chamber pressurizes the plug/injector moves on the threads and it pushes a little of the charge past the threads and then cooks to a carbony varnish .. the EMDs I work on the test plugs ( drains used to drain any water in the cylinder from being deadlined ) on the cylinders always have a little brown goo on them and they have a tight seal ... but I did have a Dart ( 190 ) that the plug tubes were filled with oil all the time till I found the rust out hole in the bottom of it .. :eek:

turboroadster likes this.
  15. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Means you got no heat. Typical street deal not a big thing. Lippy

16. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

It's kind of one those things like where does all the rubber that wears off of tires go. You'd think there would be piles of rubber particles on the shoulders of the roads.

270dodge likes this.
  17. stimpy

stimpy

how can you have oil around the plugs ?? you launch them things ... :eek::rolleyes:

18. james66GT

james66GT

Remember not all the gas burns 100%. So all the pressure generated on the power stroke pushes gas up the threads. Since the engine is running under heat and pressure
    you have a small refinery there and the hydrocarbons in the gas are converted back to oil

Truck64 likes this.
  19. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

That sounds just technical enough to be right! Add to that that many of the motors that have oil on the plug threads are high compression, have high lift, long duration cams, or are multiple carb motors, we don't seem to notice it much on the average daily driver (or we don't pay much attention to them). Gene

20. CalGasser

CalGasser

So it's not really oil but unburnt fuel pushed up into the threads from compression?

21. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Yep !
    dave

22. I think its cyl. pressure and the combustion explosion pressure, kinda same way a 55 gallon drum will wick water off the top of drum through the tight sealed bungs.
    Temp changes make it pressurize and also pull vacuum at different times and water will get past the bung seal and threads.
    In this case its probably very very slight oil in fuel from rings, valve seals etc and over time, plug threads get saturated from bottom up. Spark plug washer is on outside of engine, threads are inside of engine and via expansion and contraction , it seeps from there out to the goofy plug washer/seal.

edit: read rest of thread, Stimpys got it!

23. You are 100% correct. Oil and just about any element can be taken apart and put back together again in a large number of ways. The rubber worn from tires turns to dust blowing in the wind. Its recycled by the planet.

24. CalGasser

CalGasser

Thanks for feedback everyone, I thought my engine was beginning to go south...