Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Let's talk Cadillac 331's, 365 and 390's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

I just spoke with Howards cams and they are willing to custom grind anything I want for basically $250. It is limited to a hyd or solid only. No fancy roller or hyd roller. I just need to come up with a good idea of where I need to be.

winduptoy likes this.
  2. please keep us informed. What are you planning on running for induction?

3. Roothawg

Roothawg

I would love to find an Offenhauser tripower.

Moriarity likes this.
  4. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

I have an edelbrock that might be coaxed away. I'm on the fence about whether I use it or not...

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

Roothawg likes this.
  5. Dimadee

Dimadee

Wow. I would have loved an Edelbrock tripower. Had to settle for a OEM Cadillac one.

6. MOTOV8N

MOTOV8N
    from Manitoba

...here's a different view of that oil filter. First year 1960 ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1464912514.936836.jpg

winduptoy and bonesy like this.
  7. Roothawg

Roothawg

So has anyone found a good overhaul manual for the 390?

8. wearymicrobe

wearymicrobe
    from San Diego

Ok now you have me interested is this only on the TRI power and dual carb motors or even the stock ones. I have never seen that on any of the 365/390's I have worked on.

9. Roothawg

Roothawg

So can someone tell e the deck height, connecting rod length, compression pin height etc. on a 390?
    I have specs, but I have no idea of the validity.

Deck height 10.560
    Rod Length 6.50
    Pin Height 2.0938

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
  10. Roothawg

Roothawg

11. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

12. Roothawg

Roothawg

I called a few old drag racing guys from around here, they were all trying to remember what their combinations were. Not much help, but I got to hear some cool stories.

I was told to call Egge. They may have some info.

13. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

14. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

all from a 67 manual. I have a 57 too but won't do you much good since the rods are longer. I'd call Kanter.
    1466639018001.jpg 1466639024044.jpg 1466639029194.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. Roothawg

Roothawg

16. TERPU

TERPU

Roothawg,

I just built a '62 390 and installed it in my '33 Tudor. So from experience I speak. Use Hydraulics and a cam with mild lift over stock. It'll be alot easier than putting the Stude rockers on there. They go right on, but covering them up with valve covers becomes a challenge. I used Hildebrandt and still had to make spacers.

I have an Isky Cam with .500 lift and Stude Rockers, flat tops, and 2x4 Rochester set up from a '55. Truth is if I was to do it all over again I would use the Hydraulics and shit can the Adjustable rockers and solids. I do have it worked out now but what a head scratcher to get all that covered up with no leaks.

Not to mention in stock trim a '60-'early '63 will brake a trans with no effort just by the torque. I shatter inputs at will. Literally stripping all the teeth of of both Saginaw and Muncie. It's a ferocious bitch this Cad.

Good luck in the pursuit it'll be fun in stock trim and a whole lot easier on the build. Here's a picture from the fresh install right before fire up. It's not nearly as clean now.

[​IMG]

rod1, winduptoy and ls1yj like this.

17. Can you repost the pic? Something went amiss.

18. Roothawg

Roothawg

Experience carries a lot of weight with me.

winduptoy likes this.
  19. Roothawg

Roothawg

So, if you were to use a different valve cover, would you still have issues? where was the bulk of your frustrations? The spacer or the leaks ? Just wondering. I already have the Stude rockers. I was gonna go hyd lifters and use adjustable rocker shafts. Hindsight is always 20/20.

20. Roothawg

Roothawg

Just got off the phone with the guys from Cadco. I spoke with Chris and he seemed very knowledgable on the early stuff. He has access to Venolia pistons and forged H beam rods for the performance guys. I would suggest giving these guys a call if you need parts. http://www.cad500parts.com/

winduptoy and cretin like this.
  21. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

I built (or had mine built) mine using standard SBC valves (1.94 and 2.02)with hydraulic lifters and a mild grind cam. It was a 365 block bored .030 and stroked using 390 guts. you can't use 365 pistons with 390 rods btw. used a petronix unit in the distributor and it ran and drove great with plenty of power to haul around a 48 chevy sedan delivery. through a 4 speed.

Unless you're racing I'd avoid big cams. these things are torque monsters and it's rare to go fast enough to get the benefit from a big grind. my .02

22. Roothawg

Roothawg

I can't really bring myself to run a small cam in anything. It will see it's share of track time and a little stoplight action.....

23. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

I like the big cam sound myself, but after discussing it with a bunch of caddy guys I settled on the mild grind. the big cams don't really kick in until the top end of highway speed. unless you're serious racing I think you'll be happier with the overall performance of the engine with the mild grind.

ls1yj and AHotRod like this.
  24. This may help someone , I run stock Cad rocker arms with adjustable push rods . They clear stock or aluminum valve covers without dimples. I run a Crane Ultra Hi- RPM drag cam which I originally ran with Hilborn Injection , now I run Cad tri-power manifold on street.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
    winduptoy, ls1yj and bonesy like this.
  25. TERPU

TERPU

Sorry for the delay Roothawg, been out of town. But here's my experience others may have this a different way. I used Hildebrandt Covers with dimples. But the Stude rockers are fat, even after sanding them down as much as I felt comfortable. I had to use 1/4" aluminum and space these covers about 1/4" up towards the intake and 1/4 higher from the thickness to get it all to clear. It works Bitchin' now. But I also tried stock covers with dimples, another valve cover which was sworn to work, and also thought about sheet metal ones. But in the end just some time and material I got what worked for me. I couldn't find any covers that would work out of the box, and I looked for a while. The suggestion of adjustable pushrods is also a great one. That would solve a ton of this (in hindsight) and you can still run the dimples.

All the best,
    Tim

26. Roothawg

Roothawg

Thanks Tim.
    I talked with the guys at Cadco about your problem. Chris said that he designed the ones that PML is manufacturing and they don't leak and have plenty of clearance. He also said the Hilderbandts tooling was wore smooth out and that was why they quit producing them. He sells the PML's out of his shop as well. No known leak issues.

What do the adjustable pushrods fit? I doubt anyone is making them for the Cadillacs. What length did you have rangewise?

27. Vhodoo

Vhodoo

I have a mild custom 62 coupe deville and had a 63 prior. Both stock with electronic distributor conversion. They both piss out of the hole at stop lights. I could not believe how such a big lump of a car could go so well. These guys are not kidding when they say they are torque monsters. The 63 definitely had the edge. They are mint, sit there idling at about 450 revs - hit the throttle and that big ole lump of car is out of there. If the engines were more common here in Aus I would definitely have one in my model a project

winduptoy, clunker and Roothawg like this.
  28. Roothawg

Roothawg

Sounds promising. My 36 weighs about 3200 lbs. Quite a bit less than your 60's Caddies, so it should motivate pretty good.

winduptoy and MOTOV8N like this.
  29. If my memory is correct my push rods were made by Smith Bros. push rods , Redmond Oregon . 800-367-1533 , tech line 541-388-8188 ,they will make to your specs.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
    winduptoy and Roothawg like this.
  30. I still have my old Thomas mag. adjustable rocker arms. They are worn on shaft surface and must be rebushed with bronze bushings. Had to use spacer for valve covers . Also have the Howards M-2 cam that was in motor back in 62 .

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
    winduptoy and Roothawg like this.