Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Picked up my first project! 56' Chevy 150

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by braydenh, May 25, 2016.

1. braydenh

braydenh

I hear ya loud and clear on that one! I'll have to suit up! (Maybe a little over kill, better safe than sorry!)

IG : braydenh56

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Not overkill at all. Suit up, mask, gloves, etc. Nothing like looking at the world behind the wheel of a '56 Chevy!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using H.A.M.B. mobile app

Ron Funkhouser and volvobrynk like this.
  3. braydenh

braydenh

I'll have to see how bad it is once I get it all apart. Carpet will be re done regardless. Thanks gotta56forme!

gotta56forme likes this.
  4. Squablow

Squablow

The paint looks surprisingly intact, and the chrome doesn't look like it's got any pitting on it. I bet if you really polished on this thing, that original paint and trim would have a nice shine. And if it's the original color, you could get a quart mixed up and just blend in the spots where you have to weld (over the headlights and in the doglegs, ect).

Original paint cars are getting rare and are neat to see, there are a few of them in my hometown. One guy has a '50 Chevy convertible with original paint, and the tops of the fenders are getting thin, plus lots of touch ups, but it's still pretty damn impressive that the car was never repainted and looks good. He's got a 54 Corvette that's the same way. I'd do whatever I could to maintain that.

braydenh and low budget like this.
  5. braydenh

braydenh

That's what I'm hoping for! Repair all the panels over the winter inside a heated shop. I'm absolutely in love with this color, I want to keep it for as long as I can!

6. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

braydenh, welcome to the club! i still have my 56 210 four door. my dad gave to me when i was 16 as my first car! we had a little 300hp 283 with powerglide and 10 bolt in it. my parents used to take me to drive in movies in it as a little one! car hasn't been on the road now for 20 years. would like to do a gasser build perhaps someday on it. here's something for a little inspiration for you. this car was in Reno last year for hot august nights. one cool little thing to note, see how he removed the rear door handle, has a sneaky way of taking your eye away from the rear door.

PS sorry the roughriders are going to be bad this year... ha ha ha

IMG_0533.JPG IMG_0534.JPG

brut4s, Ron Funkhouser and braydenh like this.
  7. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

When it comes to old sixes, remember to go over all the valves, one stuck and you have a bend push rod, but if it's completely stuck that's a second objective.
    My experience with a stuck engine; pull pan, pull head and pour in half ATF, half acetone. Submerge stuff that can come off and fill bores with all they take.

And if you pull head + pan and find major damage, stop playing and get something better too stuff in!!

Nice car, nice plan and remember to have fun!
    And when it comes to safety: overkill is the only kill that counts!! And the only one that will keep you alive.

Get to it, lad!
    Keep us updated in what you find.

Remember V8 is hot, but a hot 6 is cool!!
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1464294725.539834.jpg

braydenh likes this.
  8. braydenh

braydenh

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Well, didn't get a whole lot done today due to the weather. Started to pressure wash the grease off the engine / engine bay. Then decided to give her a bath. Tree sap and other mung came right off with a light scrub with a soft bristle brush! Had to grab some pictures while the rain was still on it. It almost seems to me like the paint came back to life! (Not 100%, but she looks amazing compared to what it was!) definitely brightened it up!

Plans for this weekend : un seize motor, get motor running, strip interior, get rid of that god awful mouse piss stench, pull motor and clean every little bit of grease / sludge off and around the engine bay. I think that should keep me occupied for 48 hours!

9. biscaynes

biscaynes

nice find, love that colour too! my dad had a 4dr 150 '57 the same colour. hope to own a '55 or '56 before i drop dead. keep the updates coming...

braydenh likes this.
  10. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Here I am ;)

braydenh likes this.
  11. Looks like it responds well to elbow grease! That's the funkiest rear bumper damage I can remember seeing in a while, any idea how that happened?

12. braydenh

braydenh

I think while unloading it off a trailer in the past. Haha!

13. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I wouldnt go crazy and pull the engine just yet, get it running if you can and get it drivable first.
    Blowing everything apart all at once has killed many a project. I say do baby steps, one thing at a time will keep you motivated with a feeling of accomplishment after every smaller project rather than being overwhelmed by looking at the whole thing all blown apart.....it will eventually come together and hopefully you can hear it run and maybe drive it a little as you go....

14. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Congrats - Cool hood latch

15. slammed

slammed

16. The underhood area is a real time capsule! Looks like it's hardly been touched over the years.

braydenh likes this.
  17. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Low budget is right on that point. What bugs you right now maybe won't in a month and there are always hidden issues with the ol girls that haven't revealed themselves yet... Brake lines, bad grounds, other dead carcasses somewhere... Ha ha

18. Rustedjunk77

Rustedjunk77

Congrats on your purchase!

19. Wonder what the chances are that you could pull that back bumper off and straighten it up some? Looks like it was in pretty decent shape before...

Maybe somebody will offer a suggestion, based on experience, on how to safely and competently put some of the straight back in it.

Gotta56forme/Scott

low budget likes this.
  20. '56 150

'56 150

Take a pic of the trim tags on the cowl. Interested in what the one on the drivers side is especially. Neat survivor car I like it.

21. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

Not trying to be a smart ass but if u have it in gear and are standing in front of it pulling the core support and rocking it. What stops the 3,000 plus lbs of bow tie from making you a hood ornament when it does start? Possibly I'm missing something?

Nice find btw more doors are getting popular for financial reasons,

22. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

:rolleyes: Not trying to start it,just trying to get it unstuck, You would need a little bit of common sense to go along with my suggestion like not havin the key on,coil wire off, not gonna have the plugs in it, dont try it while its sittin at the edge of the top of a hill, have scotch blocks in place if you think its gonna get away from you:Detc,etc.etc:)

Last edited: May 27, 2016
    whodatsCJ7 likes this.
  23. braydenh

braydenh

[​IMG][​IMG]

Here's those trim tags! Haven't had time to look them up and research them.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Big thanks to Christian W, Matt Y, for all the help and knowledge to help me pull this out. AND find me another engine that turns over by hand!

24. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

It would be cool to see this thing in person to comb over it. That first pic of the cowl tag on the left side had me like ? What The ! Then this one where they normally are was different. Then I noticed Canada. I have some window trim from a Canadian 55 Buick or Old's maybe even Pontiac (been to long ago to remember). It had a SBC factory installed and it sat on a Chevy chassis like the US Tri-Fives. [​IMG]

25. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

ok, I assume the old engine wouldnt break free??? will be lookin forward to seein the new one fired up;)

26. biscaynes

biscaynes

didn't look to good under that valve cover...

27. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

OK, the car was "Made in Canada"; where are you located? I have a good friend who deals in 55-57 Chevrolet cars AND parts, so if there's anything you need, he can probably help you out. There used to be a 56, 150 Model, 4 door Sedan here locally; I have't seen it in a few years now. It was completely stock, and looked almost new, except for the Cragar S/S wheels and RWL tires. It was white, and had a 6 cylinder-3-speed combination. Your car still has the "crayon" markings on the firewall (assembly instructions/options); try and leave those intact if possible. Keep us updated! I am Butch/56sedandelivery. Sent you a PM.

28. braydenh

braydenh

Before:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

A buddy of mine had a bright idea to use oven cleaner for all the grease all over the frame / engine bay. Well, it worked. But I lost those sweet assembly numbers on the firewall :(

29. We'll leave the crayon coloring for the kids, this is a hot rod site! Any restorer can see the before pic and duplicate to his heart's content. It's a lot nicer working in a clean engine bay. Looks like you lost some paint on the fenderwells.

braydenh and volvobrynk like this.