Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Modernizing dads 1950 Coronet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blue50coronet, May 2, 2015.

1. blue50coronet

blue50coronet
    from Auburn, CA

I had posted some pics of the work I had done to my dads Coronet on an older thread, and it occurred to me that I should really make the project a thread of its own.

A little history.
    My Coronet was owned by my dad for thirty years. Before that it belonged to his brother. So its been in the family for almost 40 years. My dad drove it and used it like a daily driver, and kept it in good running condition, although the interior never got much attention(except from us kids scratching grafitti on the headliner).
    The pic below is from 1995ish in Weaverville California. dodgeweaverville.jpg
    IMG_1426.jpg
    The "art" has been there since 1982 or there abouts.

Last edited: May 2, 2015
    chryslerfan55 and 302GMC like this.
  2. blue50coronet

blue50coronet
    from Auburn, CA

My dad picking me up in the Dodge from USMC boot camp in San Diego, Jan. 1985 daveydodge.jpg

Last edited: May 2, 2015
  3. blue50coronet

blue50coronet
    from Auburn, CA

So about 4 years ago, dad started to try to restore the car. He had the body work done, painted and the engine rebuilt. Unfortunately, two years ago he fell ill and was unable to do anything to it since then. I remember we were talking about what he wanted to do, and he stopped himself and said "Damn it!, I can't do that any more!" He realized his health was not going to let him finish his car. That was painful. It still brings tears to my eyes just writing this.
    He died last year, February 2014.

He left me the car, and it became my responsibility to finish his work.
    My thought was to honor the car and my dad and keep it original looking, but give some modern features and drivability. So that is where I am now.
    IMG_1415.jpg

4. Ya' sure don't see those everyday. 'Cuz it's your dad's .... it's awesome.

5. blue50coronet

blue50coronet
    from Auburn, CA

After donig alot of research, and asking questions here on the H.A.M.B., I came up with my plan.
    1. change out the transmission and rear end
    2. upgrade the front brakes to disc
    3. convert to 12v electrical system
    3. upgrade the ignition system to electronic HEI
    4. upgrade the carb to a two barrel
    5. new interior

After much discussion on my other thread, I decided the right choice for the rear end was a Dana 35 from a Jeep Cherokee. I had to fabricate the spring perches to make them as close to the originals as possible. To do this I took a piece of 2" stock square tubing cut out the seat with a 2-3/4 " hole saw. I used the shock mounts from the jeep axle and cut the pins off and welded them to the new perches.
    Everything fit like it was factory made! Thanks to all the HAMBers that helped me with my axle choice. The only new part I had to get was the u-bolts. I used the original spring plate.

Here is the original axle. I needed to replace it to make it easier to fit a driveline to transmission and have an e-brake after the transmission swap. It also will improve braking performance.
    IMG_1432.jpg e

This is a crappy pic of the new spring perch installed. You can see the shock mount pin on the front of the perch, like the original equipment.
    new perch.jpg

The Cherokee Dana 35 axle installed. Fit perfectly.
    Dana 35.jpg

chryslerfan55 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  6. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Great story man. Keep up the good work.

7. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

So sorry for the loss of your Dad. Great that you are the caretaker of his pride and joy though, and I'm sure he will be sitting right beside you on every drive you take.

Don

8. blue50coronet

blue50coronet
    from Auburn, CA

I got a front disc brake kit fron ECI. It has everything but the metal brake lines. New master cyclinder with a bracket that bolts right in to place, bearings rotors calipers, hub, flex lines...everything. No adjusting or tweaking or any modifying needed. It went right on like factory parts. Fits right on the stock spindle- Slick! new disc1.jpg
    Here is a pic of the wheels and tires Im going with. I thought I would keep the center cap and beauty ring as well as the original hub caps so I have a few different looks to go with. wheel option.jpg

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  9. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Great story and car! Glad you're carrying the torch to take care of the car and keep it in the family.

One of your plans is a new interior. My idea would be to redo the interior but keep that classic headliner as a remembrance of you kids cruising with Dad. It's like the dated "height chart" ball pointed on our home's hallway door jamb showing all the kids' growing up. To me, painting over it would be sacrilegious...

scotty t likes this.
  10. Model T1

Model T1

Great looking car. Nice job. My first car was a 1949 Coronet coupe.
    Funny I like them more now than before.
    Great idea to patch and save the headliner.

11. blue50coronet

blue50coronet
    from Auburn, CA

I would lover to try and save the headliner. It is so brittle and delicate though. If nothing else I am going to carefully remove it and store it some how. Anyone know how to save something like this?

12. My thought would be a digital photo and then reproduced on new material if you're hoping to memorialize the headliner.
    My Dad bought a '50 Dodge when I was a kid- his Dad had bought one new or nearly new when he was a kid. I keep my eyes open for one now that my kids are close to the same age as we both were at the respective times.

13. blue50coronet

blue50coronet
    from Auburn, CA

By the way,
    I would be remiss if I did not give Kudos to Roseville Rod and Custom. They are doing all the major work here. Awesome guys. Thanks Mike and Ben!

14. 302aod

302aod
    from Pelham,Tn.

My Mom had a 50 coronet 2 door when I was growing up. Her Dad bought it new and gave it to her after he had a stroke around 55
    . It was a lighter blue than yours, but not light blue.

15. blue50coronet

blue50coronet
    from Auburn, CA

Ok, well it's been a few weeks, but we are finally starting to make progress again. The car is back on the lift and getting the Wilcap transmission adapter installed. The master cylinder and bracket had also been installed. You can see the mopar mini starter in the one pic along with the upper part of the left mid mount. While the car was off the lift, the electrical was converted to 12v and the ingition system was converted to an HEI electronic distributor and coil. master cyclinder1.jpg trans adapter1.jpg trans adapter2.jpg

chryslerfan55 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  16. Zombie Plymouth

Zombie Plymouth

what tranny are you going with ?

17. blue50coronet

blue50coronet
    from Auburn, CA

I installed a turbo 350 with a lokar cable shifter.

18. blue50coronet

blue50coronet
    from Auburn, CA

It's been a while since I have updated my post. I have had the car back for a while and have been driving it now and again. It all came together wonderfully. No hotrod by any means but it cruizes down the road at about 60-65 easy enough. Not sure I would want to drive it much faster than that!

So now that I have had a chance to save some money, its time to do the interior.
    Here are some pics of the "before". I will try to preserve the headliner. Wish me luck! IMG_1423.JPG IMG_1425.JPG IMG_1426.JPG IMG_1422.JPG

19. hoop

hoop

I really like what you are doing. Looks great.

20. utahdodge

utahdodge

I wrote on the headliner of my great-grandfather/grandfather/father's 1953 Plymouth too, late 80s. Good memories.

21. blue50coronet

blue50coronet
    from Auburn, CA

I was able to get that headliner out in one piece. I think all I can do with it is keep it stored properly and look for someone who can preserve at least sections of it.

Checked in at the Upholstrey shop to see the progress. Is really coming along nicely, can't wait to see it done. (Plug)I'm using Romans Upholsery in Auburn Ca. Really Good guys.

The pics don't really do justice to how it's looking in real life. The seats still have the stitching marks so the pic looks like the pattern is wierd. The doors are just getting started. Finished product to follow!

IMAG1136.jpg IMAG1135.jpg IMAG1134.jpg

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  22. blue50coronet

blue50coronet
    from Auburn, CA

OK!! I just got her back from Romans Upholstery in Auburn California. He totally surpassed my expectations. When I brought it in, I talked to him about just doing a basic job- Updated, but still a bit original-ish.
    This is what I got. I could not be more happy with the result. It's been a long time coming and I IMAG1145.jpg IMAG1147.jpg IMAG1151.jpg IMAG1152.jpg IMAG1153.jpg IMAG1154.jpg IMAG1155.jpg IMAG1156.jpg IMAG1157.jpg IMAG1158.jpg think my dad would have loved it.

23. blue50coronet

blue50coronet
    from Auburn, CA

24. Damn that looks good....I think you did your dad proud.

25. BJR

BJR

Very nice job.

26. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Beautiful upholstery job, fully in keeping with the age and style of the car.

scotty t likes this.
  27. Hemihead_NHRA

Hemihead_NHRA

Gorgeous car, i love the colors, i have a 4dr like that but its burgandy with a white top, i hate the color but not willing to put up with painting it at the moment. Is it Manual? I cant quite tell from the stick. IMG_5841.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

turbo 350 with Lokar shifter according to the OP's post.......
    [​IMG]

29. You wouldn't happen to have any info on the paint would you? Brand, name of color, or best yet paint code. I really like the color AND it looks great with that awesome interior. I hope you and your family enjoy the car for years to come.