Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Henney hubcaps on a 1946 Cadillac

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 54 Chevy, May 25, 2016.

1. 54 Chevy

54 Chevy

A friend of mine just purchased a 1946 Cadillac series 62. The car is all original, but it has hubcaps on it that have the name Henney stamped into them. I have researched the name Henney and found a company that built funeral cars in the 40's and 50's. I have not been able to find the exact hubcaps anywhere. I am hoping someone might know something about them. any info would be greatly appreciated. IMG_0875.JPG

2. Caps for the cars they built?

3. 54 Chevy

54 Chevy

I am thinking that the hubcaps must be put on cars that Henney modified. The car also has 16" wheels. We where told that stock Cadillacs came with 15" wheels.

4. 54 Chevy

54 Chevy

The car is in great condition for as old as it is. I believe it was a funeral car but have no way to tell.

5. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Probably Packard - Henney ambulance. I think they were building only on Packard chassis at that time. Both makes used a similar clip center wheel, cap would fit either 15'' or 16''. I have a '40s Cad small cap if you want to compare inner diameter. Also, if Packard was 5x5'' lug pattern, the wheels would fit the Cad.
    A shot or 2 with the cap off will tell us which wheel you have.

Last edited: May 26, 2016
  6. 54 Chevy

54 Chevy

If you could measure the diameter of your hubcap that would be great. Thanks

7. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Just looked closely at that wheel. Never seen anything with 6 air slots on a Cad or Packard since 16'', then 15'' were put into production.

8. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

9. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Surely I'm not the only one with "WTF" on my mind about seeing the whole car...?

Barn Find likes this.
  10. 54 Chevy

54 Chevy

I will get pictures of the car today for you.

11. 54 Chevy

54 Chevy

12. 54 Chevy

54 Chevy

I am thinking that Henney Coachworks must have put the wheels on the car. The only modifications other than the wheel that we have found so far is there are heaters on both sides of the rear seat.

13. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

The wheel shots will bring an answer as to origin.
    That Cad commercial cap is 7 1/2'' smallest I.D.
    Any extra screw holes near the base of the windshield ? Some service cars had a plaque with the name of the company mounted on dash or w/s garnish.
    A 62 series would have been used to transport family of middle class folks. Big $$ clients rode in Fleetwoods & 75 limousines.

14. I'm thinking the caps and possibly the wheels came off a different vehicle at some point. A lot can happen in 70 years. As far as I know, Henney mainly built Packard based Hearses. Also, although I suppose it's possible, I'm thinking that a family funeral car would most likely be based on a series 75 and not a series 62. Are there any obvious coachwork modifications?
    The experts in this area are over at the Professional Car Society forum:
    http://www.professionalcarsociety.org/forums/ You might want to ask over there, but don't forget to report back. :)

15. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Henney built funeral cars on Ford, Lincoln, Cadillac, Packard, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Rolls-Royce, Cord, and Pierce-Arrow chassis' (and maybe more).

16. Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't realize that. I was looking for an old Hearse a few years back for a family business and it seems like all the Henneys I saw were Packards.

17. 54 Chevy

54 Chevy

18. 54 Chevy

54 Chevy

The only modification that I know for sure is the wheels and hubcaps. The car does have dual heaters in the back seat, but that may be a Cadillac option. The car does seam to sit higher than others I have seen.

19. 54 Chevy

54 Chevy

I looked today and there where no screw holes near the windshield. I looked at the wheels and there were clips on the front to hold the hubcap. I also noticed the center of the wheels are riveted in so I know the wheels are old. The tires are 700-16's on the car.

20. 54 Chevy

54 Chevy

The spare in the trunk is a 15" wheel with 4 vents.

21. 54 Chevy

54 Chevy

I went to the link you gave me and tried to register, but after 7 user names that were the website would not take I give up. I will try tomorrow maybe the site is having issues.

22. [QUOTE="302GMC, post: 11542642, member: 10345"
    A 62 series would have been used to transport family of middle class folks. Big $$ clients rode in Fleetwoods & 75 limousines.[/QUOTE]

As a former embalmer, I can tell you that the financial status of the family did not determine the car that they were transported in. I made no fiscal sense for a mortuary to buy a Series 75 for the big shots and a cheepo for the more pedestrian clients. Every place that I worked for used the same family car and coach for all of our clients. We didn't make our indigent families ride in the back of the groundskeepers pickup truck

Saxman, vtx1800 and arkiehotrods like this.
  23. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Looks like a standard fleetwood, doesnt look modified that I can see. Maybe someone added the wheels and tires?
    I had this 1947 fleetwood around as parts car for my model 61.

[​IMG]

24. morac41

morac41

Hi Pretty sure all the 75 series had 16" wheels up to 1949..body shape stayed the same 1941-49

25. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can see this one oozing style, floating down the road. Retro fit an Eldorado dual quad, restore/upgrade the stock chassis, add 53 (I think) headlight bezels with a brow, painted a frosty pearl and a classy white/color vinyl seats and a cloth headliner.

And the 1st car is a Model 62 sedan. Standard wheelbase.

26. 54 Chevy

54 Chevy

I heard the car run today. The old flathead V8 sounds great. The automatic transmission still works good. They are rebuilding the brakes today. I would love to have the car. I could not modify this one. This car has been very well cared for all its life. That is another thing that makes me think a funeral home had the car. The paint on the car is all original.

302GMC and arkiehotrods like this.
  27. O.Hove

O.Hove
    Member Emeritus
    from S.D.

Those caps need to go on my Packard 2-door henney

28. 54 Chevy

54 Chevy

you might be able to find some of the hubcaps that say Henney Packard on them. I have seen pictures of them on the internet.

29. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

As a former embalmer, I can tell you that the financial status of the family did not determine the car that they were transported in. I made no fiscal sense for a mortuary to buy a Series 75 for the big shots and a cheepo for the more pedestrian clients. Every place that I worked for used the same family car and coach for all of our clients. We didn't make our indigent families ride in the back of the groundskeepers pickup truck[/QUOTE]
    No offense meant, Carl ... but the moral code you follow wasn't quite the same in all parts of the lower 48 when the car was in service.

30. No offense meant, Carl ... but the moral code you follow wasn't quite the same in all parts of the lower 48 when the car was in service'

No offense taken, but I was in the business and I can assure you that funeral homes did not and do not purchase multiple vehicles when one or two will do the job. What would be the purpose of it??
    Any business is all about the bottom line. Always has been, always will be. It's not a moral code, it's simple economics
    Still, I can't tell you why a Cadillac has Henney hubcaps. Maybe the same reason why a 49 Merc has four bar Lancers. The guy liked 'em;)