Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 60 144 Falcon rocker oil fix

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by koepsel, May 24, 2016.

1. koepsel

koepsel

Howdy Guys, I just bought a 60 Falcon with the 144 six. I got it running today but, the rockers aren't getting oil. I tried the head bolt, grind a flat trick. That did let a little oil through but not enough. I saw a kit that plumbs oil from the side of the block to the end of the rocker shaft. Has anyone tried this? Will it work?

2. farmalldan

farmalldan
    from Duncan, OK

When I was a teenager, my older sister had a 6 cylinder Falcon. When she would come home for a visit, there was almost always a rocker or two squeeking. I would pull the head bolt with the oiler passage and stick the air blow gun in the hole. A couple of blasts of 100 psi air and we'd be oiling till next visit. Might give that a try before you spring for the external oiling kit.
    I never used one of these kits, but see no reason why it wouldn't work if done properly.
    BTW, the restoration of oil to the worn out rockers always made the little six feel like it had gained about 25 hp.
    Good luck.

3. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

In the late '60s, Falcons weren't worth much as a used car, and no one spent any $$$ repair wise, so most all Comet & Falcon 144 - 170 engines had them. A tee in the outlet to the oil pressure sensor takes care of it. Overhead oilers went hand in hand with the 3 speeds that wouldn't stay in any gear and clutches that wouldn't pull the car any more.
    Oh, and upper ball joints that broke if you backed up too fast & hit the brakes.

4. koepsel

koepsel

Thanks! I tried the air but didn't use a rubber tipped gun. I'll try it again tomorrow.

5. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

The side oiler kits worked fine. Those little engines were truly hard to kill!

6. [QUOTE=" Those little engines were truly hard to kill![/QUOTE]

Yes on that.

Attached Files:

7. koepsel

koepsel

Thanks again! My engine has the bottom half of the system. There is a oil line and a petcock to adjust the amount of oil going to the rockers. So it must have had it installed at one time. When I bought the Falcon the rocker shaft was in the trunk. I think the last owner was going to replace it. It doesn't have the oil line coming out of the rocker shaft. Saw a few NOS kits on the bay. Guess I'll get one or make the rocker shaft part myself.

BTW, Its running and sounds good.

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Indeed.
    [​IMG]

9. koepsel

koepsel

Nice Falcon! What wheels do you have on it? 15"?

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Koenig Rewind 15x7".

Scarebird deep disc kit on the front. 1991 Ranger 8.8 in the rear (redrilled and machined for 4-lug).

The outer rear wheel houses had to be reworked to get the wheels in.

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  11. koepsel

koepsel

I'm thinking about smoothie steel wheels. 15x7 with a 4" backspace and 205/50 15 tires. It looks like they should fit.
    The previous owner called today. He found the missing part to the rocker oiling system. :) You can see in the pic that the oil tube is there. If I get it working I'll start a project thread.

Attached Files:

12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You will likely need to re-work the outer wheel houses. I am running 4" backspace 15x7" wheels, with 195/60-15 tires, they "fit", but the car could not be plausibly driven without mods.

My rear axle is 56-1/2" wide. The stock one is 56" wide. That extra 1/4" per-side is not what created the problem.

13. koepsel

koepsel

I just did rough measurements. Guess I better check it closer. It is the stock axle. Did you just have to roll the fender lip, or is more required?

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I cut out the outer-half of the wheelhouse and welded in a strip of metal and a side panel. Effectively a mini-tub for the outer. It was not hard to do.

The problem with the outer wheelhouse is that it tapers back towards the center at a rapid rate, from the fender lip, going up. The opening is wide enough, with the lip rolled at the fender opening, but get's smaller as you go up.

Pull off a rear wheel and look up in there. You will see what I mean.

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Future plans are to re-skin the rear quarters, with modified front wheel arches grafted in (ala: Holamn-Moody Challenger Falcons):
    [​IMG]

arkiehotrods and koepsel like this.
  16. koepsel

koepsel

Ok, I got it on the wheel well. I put it on the lift today. Now I found a bunch more stuff to do.

17. sunbeam

sunbeam

Pull number 6 spark plug remove left rear head bolt and start engine run until you get good oil flow. Replace head bolt and plug.

18. koepsel

koepsel

That might just work. With the bolt out and no compression in the cylinder the oil pressure would push out the crud in the oil galley.

19. sunbeam

sunbeam

That fix was from a Ford service bulletin worked for me in 1963. But the guides were toast so it was a smoker.

20. koepsel

koepsel

This one might be a smoker too. Don't know yet. :)

21. frosty-49

frosty-49

I think I remember fixing one years ago. The oil comes up the block to the rocker shaft and there is a small hole(about 1/8"). I tapped it out to fit a grease fitting and used my hand grease gun to clear the passage. He went Texas and back with no problems. Just another thought.

koepsel likes this.
  22. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The 200 till about 1966 is a bolt-in.

They have. 7-mains, no weird first-generation parts, and can be had for cheap from the Mustang upgrade guys.

23. koepsel

koepsel

I think I need a five bolt bell housing 200 if I swap. Having upgraded carb/dist and other parts would be nice. I've worked on a Holley like the 144 has before. The power valve system is a pain to get working right.
    I'm going to check over the whole project in the AM. When I put it on the lift today, I almost said forget it. :) It needs complete brake overhaul, front end rebuilt, floor pan repair. The good is the window channels and body are nice.

24. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your 144 does not have a 5-bolt bell. It has one unique to the Falcon 6. Yours has an 8-1/2 clutch (if stick). Later ones had 9" clutch. Each had a different bell pattern, using the same lower holes. Mid 60's blocks had BOTH patterns. 5-bolt modified SBF pattern came later.

The front end is all Mustang stuff, just grab the Mustang spindles, too, as 60-mid '61 Falcon ball joints are small and fragile.

Floor pans are easy. One weekend, done.

Brakes are easy to. Rebuild the rears. Put discs on the front.

koepsel likes this.
  25. koepsel

koepsel

Yeah its a standard. Thanks for the info. I have a local salvage yard that has lots of Ford sixes. I'll have to go out and see what he has. What trans upgrade is a bolt in? (3 speed)

26. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Only the later 3-speed, or the Econoline transmission, provided you get the bell with it (trans pattern different).

I had a T5 behind my 144.

27. koepsel

koepsel

Well pulled the number six plug and headbolt. Ran the engine until all the crud came out of the oil passage. This did work! Rockers are oiling now. Still a lot of work to do. I did drive it some. Making progress.

302GMC likes this.
  28. sunbeam

sunbeam

Glad it worked.

koepsel likes this.
  29. koepsel

koepsel

Thanks for the tip! I did grind a flat on the head bolt and the rocker bolt. So far its working great.

30. sunbeam

sunbeam

The service bulletin did say the grind the head bolt.