Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1937 Ford frame boxing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tartar_sammich, May 25, 2016.

1. We are in the process of fitting suspension components to the frame of our '37 Ford. The front and rear suspension is from Chassis Engineering. The powertrain will be a 354 Hemi backed up by a Tremec 5-speed. My question is: do we need to box any sections of the frame? When we ordered the suspension, the guys at CE said that it would probably not be necessary, but I just thought I'd see what you guys had to say. If we do need to box the frame, we'd get an experienced welder/fabricator to do it, because I do not trust myself with a welder enough around something like this.

2. Listen to the guys at C E...

tartar_sammich likes this.
  3. Well if it's a good healthy frame, no. It came as a double channel frame from Ford. Now if you plan to hammer the Crap out of it, a small amount of work now may save you some headaches a little further down the road.
    The Wizzard

4. The frame is practically perfect, no rust whatsoever. We don't plan to hammer the crap out of it, so looks like it'll be OK

5. I wouldn't be concerned at all and a simple set of Hurst CR-202 mounts will set it right on the stock rubber biscuits. You will need to open up the X member for the tremec but that's also simple and a set of 39 pedals should make clutch linkage a walk in the park.
    Good luck to ya, The Wizzard

tartar_sammich likes this.
  6. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

The guys at CE told me up to 300 hp required no boxing. If more, then I'd say get their front / rear plates and weld them in. As mentioned above, the center section is already double walled. You're probably going to need their X kit or something like it for the new tranny, too, eh? Gary

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  7. 50flathead

50flathead
    from Iowa, USA

Boxing the frame is unnecessary and makes mounting the body and plumbing more difficult.

8. Depending on the type of engine mount system you will be using, you could box the front from the crossmember back to the start of the center cross-member.

9. That's about what they told us. We've got the kit to open up the x member for the transmission. I'm almost sure it'll have more than 300 horsepower though, unless I do something terribly wrong in the engine building process