Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Shirley Muldowney Has Cancer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Speed Gems, May 24, 2016.

1. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My most priced photo is one I took as kid in the pits at Tulsa. Big Daddy is standing in the door of his trailer looking out across the pits. On the door written in black marker it says ME 1...HER 4! You can beat this too Shirley! Best wishes sent your way!

2. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

The woman has lung cancer. And your public response is, To bad. It's your own fault. Couldn't you just keep your ignorance to yourself? That's really nice. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him think.

3. realsteel34

realsteel34

Too bad. 2 O`s. You`re welcome. ( cant` let you look ignorant )

Speed Gems likes this.
  4. IMHO Fuzzy Knight's comment was out of order, BUT, let's keep in mind what this posting is really about and not turn it into a pi**ing match that ends up getting it closed.

Gary Reynolds likes this.
  5. Truckedup

Truckedup

Rich, That does suck, hoping you pull through this.

6. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll put a good word in for you with the big guy in the tower. Don't lift, Pedal to the metal Shirley!

7. My wife never smoked at all and has had two different cancers in the last few years. So far she has beat them both! Good doctors and lots of prayers. Prayers out to you Shirley! You have to fight!

Ron Funkhouser and The37Kid like this.
  8. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

GODSPEED ,PRAYERS TO YOU ,SHIRLEY!I REMEMBER SEEING YOU @ENGLISHTOWN RACEWAY PARK.

9. AKGrouch

AKGrouch

Give em Hell Shirley! Kick that cancer in the face girl!!

10. I've enjoyed her column in Hemming's Muscle Machines magazine. Go girl!

11. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

I pray that you beat this setback with a quick E.T. and record Speed.
    God be with you!
    KK

12. Just posting again, the gal is tough. Stood up to men and women trying to stop her from drag racing. People screaming at her in the pits, one clip I saw (possibly from Heart like a wheel) another woman was yelling at her to go home and do the dishes.
    Yet she kept her cool, even put up with a PR inspired nickname that wasn't to her liking.
    And won. A lot.
    Go Shirley, the drag racing community loves ya, lady!

13. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Thanks @realsteel34 it's fixed now.

14. Boatmark

Boatmark

Good Luck Shirley!
    Never one to lift, she'll fight this just as hard as she as everything else in life. Many years ahead, not nearly time to pull the chute.

15. Leave Shirley's PERSONAL habits to her/None of your business!
    When people say she is one of the best woman drivers, correct them. She is one of the best drivers EVER in drag racing. On par with Garlits, Prudhomme, Force, ANYBODY you can name! Cross her and she will kick your ass. treat her with respect and she is one of the finest people you've ever met.
    Last saw her a couple years ago at Bako, always a hoot!
    Getting old bites, I know! GET WELL SHIRLEY!
    [​IMG]

Speedys Garage and Ray C's son like this.
  16. mike bowling

mike bowling

Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery from a guy who saw you run at Sanford, Maine many moons ago.

17. As far as smoking goes, many of us boomers smoked. When we grew up in the 50's and 60's smoking was no big deal, mom's smoked, doctors smoked, my Dad smoked (quit in 1960). Watch any TV show or movie from that time, everybody smoked, our hero's smoked, athletes, John Wayne, James Dean, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, etc. Elvis was the exception. So many of us took up smoking. Many, if not most have quit (I did a few years ago), but for many it's too difficult, Johnny Carson never could quit, it killed him.
    SAVE THE SELF RIGHTEOUSNESS, don't need it.
    All we need to do is wish Shirley good luck and get well!
    End of story.

18. rooman

rooman

The good news is that during the operation yesterday they found that the tumor appears to be non cancerous and have not removed the lung at this point pending further testing. I have known Shirley for not quite 30 years and am happy to report that she has mellowed somewhat in that time although she can still "spark up" if you piss her off. In addition her charitable foundation has been doing some really good work recently for kids in need.

Roo

19. mike bowling

mike bowling

Great news, indeed.
    Green light! Pedal on the right. You know the drill!
    XXXXX- OOOOOO from Mass.

20. catdad49

catdad49

Chin Up & eyes on the Green! Great news!

21. Good news Rooman. Hope Shirley's recovery goes well and she is back to normal activities soon.

22. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

She's Got "A Heart Like a Wheel". I hope she heals up soon. She's a great lady, I've had a chance to meet her also at Pomona way back when. Always a skilled driver and cutting a quick light I hope that she'll have a quicker recovery.

23. Good news rooman, please keep us posted with updates

24. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

From her facebook page:
    "LATE BREAKING NEWS: Doc just told Shirley that tests have confirmed the tumor they removed Wednesday was NOT cancer. Shirley is elated! ‪#‎ShirleyStrong"

:D

25. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Great news.May you live long and prosper.God bless and keep you well Shirley.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

26. She is held in very high regard by car guys and racers,in this part of N.Y.

I went to Modern Welding school in Schenectady, NY., it' is less than a block from Jack and Shirley Muldowney's house.
    I used to drive passed the building that was Jack Muldowney' shop.

Photos of Shirley at Fonda Speedway.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

catdad49 and Speedys Garage like this.
  27. bigalturk1

bigalturk1

Shirley you can beat this, We know your a winner!
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    >My brother died of cancer at 51, non smoker or drinker
    >My Brother-in-law maybe losing his battle, but keeps fighting
    >A friend of mine was supposed to be dead last March, but still is hanging in there...
    >On a good note: A work buddy beat it 7 times & is doing very well (No thanks to Vietnam!).
    >Just Remember: Think Positive (That's all we can do)!

28. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

GREAT NEWS!! Shirley take it easy and come back and kick some more butt! Joe

29. 31chevymike

31chevymike

That is FANTASTIC news Gotgas! The one and ONLY time I met Shirley was at a Long Island, New York cruise night many years ago - believe or not. She brought her dragster with her, so I was feeling that she must have left the last remaining dragstrip on L.I. at the time - West Hampton Dragstrip (No longer exists). Believe me, this blew me away! Wish her a great recovery!!

30. I went to Bishop Gibbons High School in Schenectady N.Y from 1963-1967. A block away from the school was an apartment complex, Shirley lived there with her husband. In the spring on Friday afternoons you could see Shirley with her car trailer leaving the apartment complex probably going to a race track.
    She would drive her vette up and down State St. in Schenectady, that was in the '60's. I had a '63 vette and on one occasion we were side by side at a street light. We both had the same thing on owe minds, reeving our motors up, waiting for the light to turn green......She was 3 car lengths ahead of me before I could get it into 3rd gear. I'll never forget it....I brag about it all the time...... I raced Shirley Muldowney and she beat the pants off me.
    Great news Shirley.........

Last edited: May 28, 2016