Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Cool Hot Rod (1953)... Now in COLOR!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jive-Bomber, May 24, 2016.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

The Cool Hot Rod (1953)... Now in COLOR!

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Pat, kiwijeff, Jimmy B and 4 others like this.
  2. I'm sure Jimmy did a great job but I love black & white movies,they just seem more vivid and the images look sharper. HRP

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. Crazy Teenagers in color!:cool: Thanks I needed that.:rolleyes:

4. flamingokid

flamingokid

Jimmy did a great job,it doesn't have that colorized look to it.

5. belair

belair

It looks great. The paint job on the cop car is crazy.

6. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Great job JimmyB so cool!

7. Ruben Duran

Ruben Duran

As an artist who primarily works in color, I can definitely say that I appreciate this version. Well done Jimmy B.

8. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

The colorized part is ok but there's just something special about the original B/W format.

9. Jungle Jalopy

Jungle Jalopy

image.jpeg
    Hoo-wee, the "Ghost Greaser" really has some serious unibrow action going on!

10. Jungle Jalopy

Jungle Jalopy

image.jpeg
    It's good to see some girl type hot rodders getting screen time. A suprisingly pro-woman movie for that time period, I think.

11. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

I've seen this film a bunch of times. It's so much better in color...looks totally natural. Good job Jimmy!

12. Bugguts

Bugguts

That turned out neat! I've have seen this film a few times before, but very cool in color and really well done. Thanks

13. I own a copy of this film and the color really brings it to life. It's not a cheesy colorized version, he did a great job with the different hues and shadows......makes me really feel there.

14. Looks a whole lot better than anything Ted Turner churned out with a way bigger budget!

Sent from my SM-G360V using H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

The colorization turned out very well. It seems to bring out many more of the details in the film. Whenever I watch one of these films, I wonder if any of the Hot Rods have survived??? What ones were well known rods??? How many films did each Hot Rod appear in???

In the case of "The Cool Hot Rod".....What happened to the 32 3 window? Is it still around? Is it stored away somewhere?

16. Thanks for featuring the vid on the main page :cool: made my day.

The film has not been colourised that is the original colour footage from when it was filmed. I found the raw footage on the Prelinger archives with no sound and unedited so I spent the time editing the footage to the B&W edit. I can't say why the original was released in B&W most likely to keep cost down for educational boards. It could also be the second part was not filmed in colour. Raw footage --> https://archive.org/details/0708_Cool_Hot_Rod_14_01_03_00

I really like this film in Black and White but so much detail is washed out in the monochromatic world of B&W. It gets to the point you start to believe there was no rich vibrant colour back then, which is probably why so many traditional hot rod builds are black, dark hue or a plain neutral colour. The colour also makes it more real & alive which has been mentioned.

With the colour footage I was able to see the details that were washed out in B&W. That detail revealed Bill's roadster is a car that I have a photo of in my collection taken at Saugus drag strip in 1951-52. Also Walt's '32 3w coupe looks to have an Auto Butchers E.L.A. plaque which was the Ayala bros club so I wonder if they chopped the top.

jpb-av8-saugus-51.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-05-25 at 4.15.41 pm.png

Pat, kiwijeff, kidcampbell71 and 3 others like this.
  17. @Jive-Bomber Jay -

@Jimmy B is constantly contributing to this community (by sharing his vintage images & vast knowledge of Hot Rodding history) ... but rarely receives the recognition he deserves ... So thanks for featuring his version of the video in your Tuesday TJJ Blog!

18. autobilly

autobilly

^You said it Todd.

19. Rem

Rem

Great job, Jimmy. I'd wondered why the change to B&W part-way through - I couldn't believe someone had gone to that much effort and apparently given up before the end! Any volunteers to colourise the remaining footage to match? Shouldn't take long :)

Jimmy B likes this.
  20. Gabe Fernando

Gabe Fernando

To me, it looks like it was originally shot in color. Good job.

21. That's because it was ... See @Jimmy B's post (#17) above.

Jimmy B likes this.
  22. dw123

dw123

Absolutely superb!!! Thank you so much for sharing!