Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Bonneville News

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by denis4x4, May 24, 2016.

1. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

worth while read

3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Been following this for years. As one of the many workers I drilled thousands of holes in the salt for the pits, impounds, inspection area, etc and watched the deterioration of the salt for years and pointed it out to all of the officials so we all knew it. We all knew what was going on but almost nothing was done and I know why and am not afraid to say it. $$$$$$$ and we don't have the money to make the payoffs like the many owners of the chemical co's do to the politicians. Say and read what you want but IMO that's it...

Nobey and loudbang like this.
  4. A Boner

A Boner

Money doesn't talk.....it swears.
    -Bobby Dylan

5. Dam, by the time I finally get to go to Bonneville, there wont be anything left......

6. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

It has always been and will always be a political stand off driven by MONEY! Those who profit from the salt could care less how long it lasts. They are getting theirs NOW and what the future holds they don't give a rats behind! Joe

loudbang likes this.
  7. aircap

aircap

Stoopid gubmint crap.

8. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Keep your eyes on the bigger picture folks...

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  9. fourtogo

fourtogo
    from long beach

Once it tips to far it will be over. And company and their $$ being drained away with the salt they will be gone, and the damage will be done. If this was Snail Darter or a Gobie Fish there be such a out cry there be a call to string these companies up in front of courthouse .

slack likes this.
  10. I fear it has tipped to far. I am tired of reading about studies, common sense will let you see the minerals are being depleted.

WiredSpider likes this.
  11. dad-bud

dad-bud

Tman is clearly right. Any fool could tell that sucking salt from the flats is reducing the amount there. Who needs a study to work that out?
    Worse, the study may well come up with the 'wrong' answer for the salt because the wrong question was asked, but because it has been given the 'authority' of an intellectual based university study, trying to unpick it will simply waste MORE time, further degrading the salt.
    I visited Bonneville last year - in Sept, the same day that a few inches of rain fell. I'm not expecting any good news about racing for the foreseeable future, though I'd love to be wrong.
    There aren't too many realistic alternatives around the world.

12. Big government, big business = zero common sense!!!

13. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Also from the meeting, the Potash Company said they would start taking some of their waste salt from one of their old settling ponds and process it. It seems that way back when the old way did not remove all the minerals and they feel they can remove enough from it, like the gold companies reprocessing their old slag. That processed salt would then be used for the brine pump back project. Oh and the size of the 'pond', about 8 miles long, 4 miles wide and 100 feet deep, if I remember right.
    And the mining company didn't cause the salt bed to shrink,,,,,,,
    Now was it right to not return? No.
    Where they just doing what the BLM required? Most likely.
    Will this hot bed issue ever resolve itself?
    Will one day the Fed step in and say "No one can use the Salt!" Maybe.
    Be careful of what you ask for,,,,

14. 24 Dodge

24 Dodge
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

ALL said and done does anyone think Bonneville will happen this year? I would like to go one more time before my time runs out.

15. oj

oj

A member here has a signature 'If the government was in control of the Sahara there'll be a shortage of sand in three years.'
    Looks like a proficy coming true.

stillrunners likes this.
  16. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

some do, some don't and many are desperately hoping yes - -

17. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I am one of the positive thinkers.
    But with the wacky weather, that is the current problem. Salt - No Salt, if it is underwater there is no racing come hell or high water or the BLM.

18. BigDrag

BigDrag
    from Milwaukee

19. Truckedup

Truckedup

Nothing lasts forever...especially when man interferes....it's time to look for alternative locations...

20. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Let's keep the political comments out of this thread, please.

21. Bader2

Bader2

I live in northern Saskatchewan,one of our biggest exports is potash,there are at least five huge potash mines.The part that pisses me off is the fact that the bonneville potash company could have potash brought in on a train car instead of ruining a national monument,holy ground if you will. All in the name of the dollar,fucking sad. Whats next? Need limestone? Start excavating mount rushmore? More like bureau of land mismanagement

slack likes this.
  22. I am hoping racing can go on this year. Too early to know a definitive answer.

23. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I want to go too. We shall see.

24. A Boner

A Boner

25. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

my wife was on a commercial flight last Sunday that went over the Salt Flats. saw a lot of large ponds of water. time will tell if any events go on this year.

26. Crumley

Crumley

It is all owned by the BLM, and the company's aren't doing anything that the BLM doesn't let them do. It is about money and who returns the most money to the government.

27. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

Nope, nothing yet, still had 2-3 inches of water on it yesterday

28. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No, actually it belongs to the citizens of the United States, and is under the management of the Bureau of Land Management.

But enough civics for one day. Back to the topic at-hand.

rtsidejohnny and slack like this.
  29. Jeremy Jalopies

Jeremy Jalopies

Once my coupe is finished I plan to head there just to drive on the salt. No need to race but its a dream of mine. Who knows when my coupe will be done but I hope there is something left by that time.

30. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

I have heard they are hoping to get a short course going for this year

It took ' Mother Nature ' eon's to create the salt flats and man has wiped it out in 100 years, pretty sad statement about we do to this great old planet !!!

DND

stillrunners likes this.