Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Finally after 2 years...got a work bench...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by choptop40, May 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ll image.jpg .....sturdy and ready to go.....let's see yours....picked this wood up from a friend , was a queen size bed...now it's a queen sized bench....

2. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Added some gussets so it's square...looking for a bench vise..

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Madillac is wondering , any hambers in Houston want to assist on this chop....let's have at it...

4. I have a work bench but it's buried under a pile of junk! HRP

5. butcherted

butcherted
    from hagerstown

I have a work bench it's buried with junk to,so i started using carts now have 5 of them. LOL

gas pumper likes this.
  6. joe clotfelter

joe clotfelter

You wont be able to find it a week

RICH B and michael knight like this.
  7. indyjps

indyjps

Bought some steel layout tables from a business that was closing, 1/8" top, 4x10, (2) 5x5, added wheels to one of them. Bought them for scrap price, couldn't have afforded them otherwise. Cost more to get them loaded than the tables.

8. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

My work bench is a former military, wooden desk; I even have a vice bolt to it, it that sturdy! Plus it has 5 drawers.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

9. todd burgess

todd burgess

This is one my son made this winter it may look light duty but it can hold a an engine block with out a problem made it with some left over 80 20 butcher block top and made the custom bottom brackets on our cnc table I think we have less than a hundred dollars in it.

Attached Files:

10. 3quarter32

3quarter32

My work bench is 24 feet long, now I call it a storage bench. Have to clear it off every time I need to work on something.

11. When mine gets cluttered, I build another one.......................

Sporty45 and prewarcars4me like this.
  12. Portable workbench/welding table we have up at the garage. 1/2" top makes a sturdy work surface.
    front end.JPG

13. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

If I posted a picture of either one of my work benches, you would see there is no way to get any work done on them! I really think the term work bench is an oxymoron! Joe

gas pumper likes this.
  14. I'm surprised I had a pic of mine and it doesn't have that much on it.. it is on wheels however so I can move it around to suit what I'm doin or clean under it. 013.JPG

15. So happy to hear it is just not me that cant find the workbench surface !!!

16. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like the wheels , you can pull it out , find lots of goodies you dropped back in there and of course tidy up....

timwhit likes this.
  17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Amen to that. I had a pallet with a 1 inch plywood top laying on my frame that is on saw horses for a work table but moved it over on a pair of real saw horses so I could work on the frame. Somewhere in the back of the garage is a stainless topped work table that I bought through GSA auctions that has a couple of drawers in it that is supposed to be my real work table.

18. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

My welding table/ work bench. 1/2" plate.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1464233449.680470.jpg

19. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now..that's a table / workbench ....what's 4 x8 sheet of 1/2 steel plate weigh ?

20. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

Love that greenish-brown (or is it brownish-green?) color. Do you know what name it is? Brand?

21. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I got a work bench that is currently being used as a storage shelf.......
    garage3.jpg garage2.jpg garage1.jpg

22. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

about 650lbs not including all the 3x3 angle bracing and 3" schedule 40 pipe legs. I put an eyebolt in the center so I could move it with my hoist. its definitely not going any where!

23. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

My Metal Work/ Weld bench weight is around 900 pds , I welded trailer Jack's with wheel
    ( wheels off of grocery cart ) so I could move it around in my shop with ease

Last edited: May 26, 2016
  24. Worked in one machine shop part time, doing cylindrical grinding. They had a big layout table that was a full 4' x 8' sheet of 1" aluminum. Do the math, it weighed around 450 lbs just for the top alone. One day I come in... something was different...
    Q: What happened to the big aluminum table?
    A: It got turned into a job.

25. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I'll tell you what I tell my students. Figure it out ! A square foot of 1" plate weighs 40.8 pounds.
    The formula for surface area is L x W.
    Easy peasy. :D

26. I'll take a look when I get home. I know I used "all surface enamel" from Sherwin Williams as it was leftover from some work we did in our kitchen.

27. southerncad

southerncad

Cactus1, from the looks of your garage/workbench,
    you must have OCD...:)

28. Haha! Maybe a little bit? It's actually more of a mess now that I'm building my next project. That picture was right after I completed the bench and wall last winter so it wasn't broken in yet. Now it looks like we've been there 20 years ;).

29. Phil1934

Phil1934

a little over $100 Harbor[​IMG] Freight's is a solid deal

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.