Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Suspension options for new build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 66corvair, May 24, 2016.

1. 66corvair

66corvair

Good morning! I'm looking to build a low budget model A but would like some advice for the best way to proceed. Pics below but I'll put the description up here.

I have access to quite a bit of older parts. However they are almost exclusively truck parts. I have a chevy frame I planned to use for this build. the back part of the frame is chopped off which will be fine as i'll be using a modern rear end anyway. (If this turns out to be unacceptable I do have another chevy frame with an intact rear end, however it has been cut and rewelded together).

I also found a ford front end from a Model A I planned to use with the chevy frame. My plans would be to cut the front suspension off and mount the ford suspension on the chevy crossmember. Would that be a good idea or should I entertain using the chevy suspension currently on it? I think it's from a truck so it would put the car up taller than the ford front end would. Basically, what should be my move here? Once I get it figured out I'll start a project thread.

Also, while i have your attention, does anybody know if it'd be possible to reuse one of the chevy leaf packs for the ford suspension? And is it safe to use old leafs? Like, if I found an original leaf suspensiopn for less than a new one would that be safe? IMG_7529.JPG IMG_7520(1).JPG IMG_7529.JPG IMG_7533.JPG IMG_7535.JPG IMG_7544.JPG

2. mustangsix

mustangsix

One low-buck approach would be to keep the leaf springs but use them to mount the rear end there. Then weld on a Ford style front crossmember and possibly frame horns to the other end and use the Ford front suspension there. Basically, reverse the frame layout front to rear.
    Probably will have to notch the frame and crossmember to clear the rear end or possibly replace the rear crossmember with something else.

3. 66corvair

66corvair

That's not a bad idea at all, definatley something to consider. Only I don't have any Model A frame parts.

4. mustangsix

mustangsix

What you need is a Ford-style front crossmember or an equivalent piece of channel or tube to mount the spring.
    Low-buck is one thing; but No-buck is another. At some point you need to either scrounge some more or buy.
    Probably need to take out a few leafs on the rear.

5. 66corvair

66corvair

I do understand that for budgeting. My tentative plan was to modify the chevy crossmember to mount the ford front end leaf springs. Or would I have better luck and less headache to just buy the ford crossmember from speedway, cut the chevy out and weld the ford in?

6. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

Model A frames are cheap if you look around (last one I got I gave $150 for). That would solve quite a few problems for you right there and save a lot of fab work. Would probably save you money in the long run, too.

7. 66corvair

66corvair

I'll see if I can scare one up.

8. Where are you located?
    I have some spare A parts, including a frame.

9. 66corvair

66corvair

Middle of North Dakota

10. You have to consider the width of the frame before you begin to consider suspension. if it is the proper width then we have a starting place if not then we need to make it fit the body first.

For the front suspension you have options given that the frame is the proper width, you can put the axle on top of the springs or get it dropped or both. If the frame is too wide which I suspect then your front suspension is out. You can make quarter elips for the front using the stock spring pacs but it is not likely that wither spring will be the proper width for a ford axle. With quarter elips you then have options Ford axle or truck axle.

if you opt for a ford axle with a suicide mount then you can beef the truck cross member clip the frame horns and build your spring perch off the cross member, if you decide to go the Ford with a cross leaf then you really want a model A or model A type cross member.

In the rear once you fit the frame to the body you have lots of options. I like a coil spring setup and that is what I am using on my A. Coil springs ( not coil overs) and ladder bars. But you also have the buggy spring setup available, I like a spring behind setup but many opt for the spring over on an A, and of course once again you could go quarter elips and build yourself a leaf link setup.

Enough for now correct. Now thiMk.

11. North Dakota is right around the corner from Virginia.
    I'm sure you'll find some good stuff a lot closer.

12. 66corvair

66corvair

Thanks for the super informative post. I think this is a big truck frame so I would tentatively agree that it may be too wide. If that's the case can I just buy the speedway ford mount, chop the chevy cross member out, take off the front suspension, weld the new crossmember in and bolt my ford front end to that? Or would I be better off making a suicide front end. What's the advantage of a suicide front end? Does it simply allow the car to be dropped lower? I'm not 100% into the low slung cars, it would be nice to have a normal ride height i think.

13. Suicide front can allow you a lower stance but does not have to and gives you a longer wheel base.

What you are probably going to do is use the side rails and form yourself up a proper width frame, you could even make it body width then taper it from the cowl forward to an A cross member. yes you can use an A cross member in place of the GM cross member and hang your suspension off of that. ;)

14. 66corvair

66corvair

Looking at pictures it seems like the Model A frame has a taper toward the front right? So if I would try to use these chevy frame pieces I'd have to form the taper. So at this level of work required I would be better off just finding a model A frame perhaps? I'm reasonably sure I can find one.

While I have you, I have a quick question I can't seem to find an answer to. Can I use the original leaf springs? Or should I buy a repro set from speedway?

Michael Kiker likes this.
  15. Use originals whenever possible, a lot depends on the condition of the spring of course.

16. 66corvair

66corvair

Alright, I'm on the hunt then! Need a frame and a front leaf spring.

17. I will probably have most of what you need in the line of leaf springs. I have to set up my front end and see what I have left of course but there will be a stock main leaf for sure.

You front spring choice depends a lot of your axle choice.

18. 66corvair

66corvair

I'm pretty sure i'll be running the ford front end. It's in the pictures uploaded in my first post.

19. There are more fish in the sea than Speedway. Why is it always Speedway????? O.K., I know why, but MANY people who come here with issues, are lost etc. have a project loaded with stuff from Speedway.

But, other manufacturers and suppliers have quality components (made in the USA) and if you look at their websites you'll see diagrams and pictures of chassis. You don't have to buy the parts, but you can see what you need to do. A target to aim for if you will.

And BTW, a BFH can bash a square peg into a round hole, but it isn't always the best way to go in the end. Sometimes you have to take a breath and spend some money.

End of sermon.

20. Why not go the 3 springer route? If you do a search for "3 springer", there's a great thread!

redo32 likes this.
  21. indyjps

indyjps

Just an idea, narrow the chevy frame to fit the body and keep the parallel leaf front, remove some leaves, maybe z the front frame. Z, Depends if you channel the body over the frame or want an exposed frame rail.

Not sure who's car this is, grabbed the pic off google, but I like the car.
    1935_chevrolet_hot_rod_by_stormpix-d2rog0c.jpg

22. 66corvair

66corvair

Yeah I have a lot of options. I think if I can source a Model A frame I'll go the tried and true method and maybe leave this Chevy frame intact for another project. I have a lot of ways I can take this build, I need to think it over.

23. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I would love to find a $150.00 Model A frame in Southern California,, the last one I saw at Long Beach Swap was with a 'good guy' price of $325.00

24. with the frame more narrow won't the springs not line up with the mounting pads on the axle? guess he cut the axle and reweld it.... I would think the easy thing to do would be to get a ford front crossmember and rebuild the frame the correct size and use his ford front axle. Then deside what to do with the rear end, like the beaner said coil springs would be easy. someone refered to the "3 spring" thread a couple of posts ago, he used the parallel springs up front, what did he do to get the spring pads on the axle to fall inline with the frame? mount the springs on the outside of the frame?

25. indyjps

indyjps

Just depends on how the Model A, falls on the frame. May or may not need narrowed, channeled or high boy depends as well. Yes, if the frame is narrowed the spring mounts would have to be moved, or make spring hangers on the side of the frame, that could get pretty busy looking.
    I personally like the look of parallel leaf front when the front end is sitting proud like the pic posted.

Until 66corvair has a chance to mock it up...we will never know

26. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

I would go to the Wescott website and look in the tech section for the info on model A frames. You should be able to figure out how to make your frame to match needed dimensions?
    http://www.wescottsauto.com