Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 26 T Roadster Pick Up build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blue One, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Awesome report T-ROD!

2. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Thanks for doing that. It's much appreciated. I have talked to Jose and was impressed by his knowledge and he also said that he would give me a tour if I came down.
    Looks like a good choice for my chrome work.
    Thanks again.
    Larry

t-rod likes this.
  3. t-rod

t-rod

Glad to do it. Got me out of the shop on my lunch hour.

Sent from my SM-G386T using H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Getting out for a while is always nice. If I decide to drive down I'll let you know.

5. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

At this point it's looking like I'll be shipping a crate full of parts down. As much as I'd like to get down there, time and funds are better allocated elsewhere. :)
    Thanks for the report and I'll update as time goes by.
    Larry.

wwilliammc likes this.
  6. t-rod

t-rod

That's alright, you can make a trip to Utah later in the hot rod.

7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Yes, that will be the goal, a trip to see the salt flats. :cool:

loudbang and t-rod like this.
  8. t-rod

t-rod

Hopefully there will still be salt to see, but that's a different discussion.

9. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

The list of things to do just never ends when you are building a car by yourself. And the hours pile up too. :D

In preparation for disassembly and finishing (chroming etc.) I am trying to get every possible thing I can think of fabricated.

One of the things on the endless list is a set of cycle fenders.

I want to be able to have them for inspections and registration, however they will fall off afterwards ;)

I wanted them to be lightweight and look good too so that if I decided to run them at times, then I could.

I ordered up a set of fenders in fiberglass from Mark Bull in the UK and then proceeded to widen them to suit my tire size.
    I went to a local bicycle repair shop and picked up a half dozen bicycle forks to build mounts from.

The shouldered button head screws are shortened fairing plastic bolts from a Honda ST1300 motorcycle.
    I ordered 16 of them at the Honda shop. :)

2 days of work led to one front fender mounted.
    Larry 20160318_112636 (2).jpg 20160523_130104_resized (2).jpg 20160523_130126_resized (2).jpg 20160523_145427_resized (2).jpg 20160523_145453_resized (2).jpg 20160523_145555_resized (2).jpg 20160523_150120_resized (2).jpg 20160523_150139_resized (2).jpg

Last edited: May 23, 2016
    mctim64, T Hudson, The 39 guy and 6 others like this.
  10. brad2v

brad2v

Love the cycle fenders Larry, nice job on the brackets. Consider the idea stolen :D

11. t-rod

t-rod

12. The fenders look good so far Larry, you may need to run them more than you think, we have a sheriff up here whose whole life seems to revolve around writing tickets for no mudflaps on pickups!

13. The fenders look good so far Larry, you may need to run them more than you think, we have a sheriff up here whose whole life seems to revolve around writing tickets for no mudflaps on pickups!

14. Super cool and tidy, Larry. With some threaded bosses welded inside the backing plates that would make fitting and removal easy.....but I bet you have already thought of that. JW

15. Trucker Jim

Trucker Jim

16. t-rod

t-rod

The third most common question I get about my car is if I ever get hassled about no fenders. I always ask the questioner if he's an off-roader, and the answer is nearly always yes.

Sent from my SM-G386T using H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  17. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I'm torn between the fendered look and non fendered. I really lean more towards the fenderless side.
    I know it's a lot of work for something than will sit on the shelf however I wanted to make life easier for inspections and things like that.
    For the most part running fenderless is hassle free in Alberta and apparently in BC too.
    I know lots of guys I both places that have been running that way for many years without issue.

I just wanted to have the option to have them on or off. The off part will probably win out most of the time ;)

Bulletnose26 and loudbang like this.
  18. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

An update. I finished the front fenders.
    Moved them away from the tire a small amount for better clearance.
    Next come the rears. 20160619_132540.jpg

mctim64, loudbang, AndersF and 4 others like this.
  19. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Nice fenders, They look good on the car! Well thought out and fabricated!

20. Must of been a match stick width the move as they still look very sharp. Very good.

21. prpmmp

prpmmp

Very Nice!!! Pete

22. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Thanks fellas.
    I had originally used 3/8" thick plywood spacers to space the brackets out from the tires and they were really close.
    I moved them out using 5/8 " plywood for spacers and the difference is much better clearance but still looking good.
    Larry.

23. bengeltiger

bengeltiger

I wondered about that earlier. I know that (at least with motorcycle tires) the tires can increase slightly in diameter at speed. Wrinkle slicks on dragsters would be an extreme example. I think increasing clearance was a good move.

Car looks great. I've been subscribed for some time now. Thanks for sharing your build.

24. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

Good thinking on the fender's, I like them of coarse I like your hole car.

25. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I am working on the rear fenders and mounts.
    When you remove the front fenders all you see are a couple of mounting holes in the backing plates.
    For the rear I wanted to have nothing left if I remove the fenders. No brackets, nothing. :)
    So I made a couple of band brackets that wrap around the QC and the fender braces will mount to them.

20160626_112517.jpg 20160626_114815.jpg 20160626_112417.jpg

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
    mctim64, brad2v, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  26. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

No pictures this time around.
    The rear fenders happen to be a slightly different radius than the rear tires I'm using so a little bit of slicing and fiberglass work is underway to adjust the radius.
    I'm using the same technique I used to widen them so a little bit more resin and glass work and I'll have them right.
    Larry

27. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Larry, I am impressed with the front fenders and mounts, can't wait to see the rears on it.

28. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

The rear fender radius adjusted. 6 slice cuts backed with plastic strips and tape.
    Welding rod to hold the shape.

Next comes resin and glass cloth from the inside to fill in the cuts and hold - form the new radius. :cool:

20160628_103928_001.jpg

b-bop, brad2v, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  29. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Please show your fiberglass lay up procedure. I know it's been shown before by others but it looks like you had great success with your front fenders and you may have some tips and tricks to share.

30. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

What I did to widen the fenders was pretty simple.
    As you can see in the pictures there are a couple of strips of glass showing no gel coat,indicating where the widening took place.

I sliced them with a zip blade on my grinder, then spaced them to the width I wanted using masking tape and some 1/8 " thick plastic spacers (in my case I made the spacers 3/4"wide.)

Then using strips of thin plastic cut out of windshield washer fluid jugs I taped them to the outside of the fenders as a backing /mold .

After that it was a matter of mixing the resin (pulling out the spacers ) then brushing it in the inside followed by a few layers of fiberglass cloth soaked in resin.

Once they have cured you can peel off the plastic and tape, the resin doesn't stick to it.

A little bit of sanding later with the DA and maybe a skim of filler before epoxy primer and you will never miss the gel coat.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
    b-bop, brad2v, loudbang and 2 others like this.